Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#405567 04/19/11 09:56 AM
OP Offline
hello all. My wife and I have visited San Pedro a few times and have plans to retire there one day. Unfortunately that day will not be for several years. We have to get our youngest through college and then we will begin looking in earnest.
In the times we have visited, we have stayed in Victoria house and not scouted out the island too heavily. My question is about rental/purchase property. Is there available housing for middle income type folks? We are from very modest incomes (teacher and minister) and dont need or could we afford a luxurious beachfront home. Does San Pedro have modest living avaliable or is it mostly for the very wealthy retiree?

Thanks for any help.

D
D
Tried Caye Caulker? The rule of thumb we use is -on the average- many things cost half as much as Ambergris
We built our house for USD$40K. and live in it for about US$1000/month, partly because there is nothing to buy here but food. No car and insurance, no heat, wear T shirt, low taxes.....

Last edited by Dane; 04/19/11 10:28 AM.
Dane, Did you build it yourself, meaning you swung the hammers and poured the concrete or you had a contractor do it for you or ??
I would like to see what $40K in construction costs gets you in belize. Can you post a pic ???????

D
D
Swung the hammer.
Didn't use concrete.
Heres a link www.cayecaulker.net

My neighbor just arranged to have the Mennonites put up a 2 bdrm shell for him that is 20x30ft
Bid is US$20K

D
D
Marty, how do you post a pic?

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE A $40,000 US HOUSE IN BELIZE ON A ISLAND WHERE IS THE PHOTO PLEASE ? GLAD YOUR HANDY BUT STILL ?

Last edited by captjeff; 04/19/11 11:28 AM.

Living The Dream Every Day!
Great post. My husband and I are looking to either build on the North end OR in town. We are also considering buying something alreadt built in town. Everything we are seeing says $75-100 per sq. ft. $100 being high grade finishes. Is this not a good guideline?

"Earth is an insane asylum, to which other planets deport their lunatics" Voltaire
G
G
No, it's too low. There is a huge range though depending on materials and how reputable your contractor is. For concrete, with plenty of re-bar and high grade finish (meaning mahogany trim, panel or louver interior doors, custom cabinets, hurricane resistant windows) and not including upgraded kitchen counters and appliances, figure $125 to $150 pers square foot. Surely, someone will post next oh I can do it for less, but this is what it ends up being. Someone will always say they will do it for less, but you get what you pay for! Really!

Originally Posted by GwenA
No, it's too low. There is a huge range though depending on materials and how reputable your contractor is. For concrete, with plenty of re-bar and high grade finish (meaning mahogany trim, panel or louver interior doors, custom cabinets, hurricane resistant windows) and not including upgraded kitchen counters and appliances, figure $125 to $150 pers square foot. Surely, someone will post next oh I can do it for less, but this is what it ends up being. Someone will always say they will do it for less, but you get what you pay for! Really!

Is that 125 - 150 USD or Belize dollar ?

Last edited by Tie One On; 04/19/11 04:57 PM.
US FUNDS

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.