Final preparations are being made for the 42nd annual Agriculture and Trade Show in Belmopan. The event is considered one of the biggest shows in Belize every year and thousands flock to the grounds for the two day celebration. Eugene Waight is the Chairman of the National culture and Trade show committee who told us more.

Eugene Waight – Chairman NATS Committee

“We are far underway the grounds is almost ready I think if we would have the show this weekend we would be ready. One pending thing is the main stage but otherwise but otherwise we are basically 85 - 90% completed.”

Maria Novelo - Reporter

What can we expect?

“I would hope that it would be bigger and better for sure. We will have basically most of the activities that we have had over the past years like the rodeo, the Miss Agriculture, the mechanical rides, all the agricultural institutions that normally come in to showcase what they are doing and some of them their new products, like CPBL. And for sure the agriculture booths and area will definitely highlight a number of new agricultural activities, and some new technologies that we are promoting including some back yard type structures for people that want to do urban agriculture in the backyard and some water catchment systems, a new system that we are be bringing in from Canada so definitely agriculture area will have a lot of new things for farmers and other people who want to do a little small scale agriculture can see.”

Waight says that over the two days, thousands of visitors flock to the grounds and that the show offers something for everyone.

“Normally we get around 22,000 to 24,000 people over the two day period. This is sometimes very conservative because it does not include probably a number of people that we give free passes. We factor in that it is just a week after Easter but people that always go to the show normally return to the show. I would encourage all those people that have never been to the show that there are enough activities for all likes and all ages. All the mechanical rides for the kids, the petting zoo, lots of food, music, we have a lot of giveaways at some of the booths, we have a lot of discounts. I know a lot of people come to the show to look at the discounts they can get from the companies. This year we have two more embassies participating. We have companies coming in from Guatemala and Mexico.”

The show is usually held on the first weekend in May at the Belmopan Show grounds.