Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#405795 04/21/11 09:23 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

As we watch the changes in San Pedro we all get to know that with progress comes the good and the bad. Unfortunately it is often our furry friends who end up paying the toll. Freeway is a good example of this.

Recently taxis have been allowed to cross the bridge to the part of the island north of the cut. Dogs who live in town grow up around taxis and learn how to stay safe and out of the way as they pass. But for dogs north of the cut, taxis are a new and unknown danger.

Freeway grew up footloose and fancy free at a resort on the north side of the island because his owner lived and worked there. He had not seen many taxis in his lifetime and because he was neglected by his irresponsible owners, he was just allowed to wander around on his own. This had been safe enough until the taxis were allowed to cross the bridge.

Poor Freeway didn't know anything about how to stay out of the way and before long he was run over. Sadly, his owners didn't care enough for him to take him to SAGA and have his injury treated. So, his foot got worse and worse, leaving him in pain and suffering - only able to hobble around on three legs. Luckily for Freeway, some kind tourists took pity on him and brought him to SAGA.
[Linked Image]
It was too late for Freeway and he ended up paying a very high toll. Because his injury had been left so long without medical attention, part of his foot had to be amputated. The worst part about this is that if his owners had been responsible and cared for him the way they should have, he probably would have recovered fully.

But there is good news. Freeway is getting better and with the love and attention of the SAGA staff and volunteers, he will soon be looking for a new home with people who truly love and care for him.

If your dog is injured or if you see an injured animal that has not been cared for, make sure to get help. You might just save them from paying a very heavy price.
For information on how you can help sick, injured or neglected animals or if you're interested in adopting Freeway or any of his friends, please contact SAGA on 226 3266.

For more information please contact:

The SAGA Humane Society:

S
S
we met freeway on our visit in February what a sweet dog. Glad he finally has owners that care about him. cool
We also didnt like the taxis and other motor vehicles racing up and down the road. They drive way to fast and crazy.

Last edited by suecate; 04/21/11 04:37 PM.
S
S
OMG - poor little Freeway! He is such a great dog and has had sooo many people who wanted to adopt him, but his owner would not agree. He also had a 2+ week period last summer when he was locked inside a condo by mistake and almost starved to death frown

Please - do not let his owner have him back!!!!

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
here's a message i received today....

Hi Marty,
I was staying at Reef Village this past Winter and know about Freeway first hand. I was caring for him for a few weeks in December by feeding, brushing, etc. He was sort of adopted by one of the Villa owners around February-March. He was not hit by a taxi but accidentally run over by a golf cart he was laying underneath by the Villa owners who were caring for him. They told me he was taken to a vet and were told nothing was broken and he should heal fine without further treatment. Unfortunatly these Villa owners had to leave within a few days and Freeways' care, or lack of, was resumed by his actual owner who is an employee at Reef Village. About a week after the accident, Freeway came to see me and spent the night by my door after I fed him and really checked out his paw. I was going to take him to the vet the folowing morning. Well, he was gone in the morning. Then I heard that some friends who also live at Reef Village had called Saga to pick him up. I went to visit him almost everyday and follow his progress until he was placed in foster care after surgery when it was discovered he also had heartworm. I really hope he finds a good home. Freeway has a good personality. Thanks for the article but thought you might like to know the more accurate details. I have been keeping the villa owners updated on his progress at their request.
Thanks again,

name witheld...

Hi Everyone, just wanted to make a response for the record from Saga. Freeway was never brought to SAGA or to the SAGA vet for treatment for his injury previously, so Saga cannot comment on whether any advice was given or its content if given. A group of 3 Saga workers and volunteers went to collect Freeway from Reef Village after Saga was notitifed by a Reef Village visitor/resident that he was in distress and needed help. The facts of Saga's story were related to these Saga reps by the person who called Saga to come get him. SAGA can only depend on the information given by the public when any report is made and very much appreciates this further information.

The main point is that luckily Freeway is now receiving the very best of care and doing well in a foster home. Saga is hopeful that he will soon be adopted into a loving new forever home! Saga is very grateful to everyone who took it upon themselves to help Freeway along his journey. It is only through the kind intervention of the thoughtful public that many animals like Freeway can make it, and it is also through their action that Saga is able to find out about and help in these cases. We all work together to make it happen, so thanks again!

Ari Trejo
for Saga Humane Society

We are so lucky to have such an active humane society and such a caring community. San Pedro really is becoming a place for lucky dogs. On that note, I heard today that SAGA is having a fundraiser at Caribbean Villas this weekend, on Sunday, if anyone is interested. I've cut and pasted the information below (more detailed information can be found here Link to information about SAGA Easter Fundraiser ) :

"All eggs have a prize! Yo-yo's, puzzles, activity books, games and more! One Golden Egg per age group. $5 per child for the Easter Egg Hunt. There will be a limit of 250 children for the Easter Egg Hunt. Children and adults not participating in the Hunt will not be charged.
Age groups are infant-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12
Games for each group throughout the day. Bunny Ring Toss, Pin the tail on the Bunny, Sand Bag Toss, Relay Races, Tug of War & others!
Other activities includes raffles, face painting, Easter tattoo's and more. Food and drink: Hot dogs, Chicken and Cheese Dip, Cup cakes, soda and more.
Purchase tickets in advance at the Saga shelter during clinic hours.
Fundraising proceeds from this event will go towards a New Clinic Building Fund to purchase a piece of land for Saga to build a permanent clinic."

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

T
T
Foxy our little pup was having severe probs with a cough.It sounded bad and she is getting old any way,we were worried.
We called S.A.G.A. and they were out helping someone else.
Ingrid said dont worry I will talk to the Doc and call ya.
Well we called a little later and she gave us the prescription over the phone and Foxy has bounced back.We are so lucky,to have saga- SEE YOU SUNDAY.Love you guys XX T&T

I too love SAGA but sure had a surprise.
I sent one of the local guys there with his pit bull who had already had 5 litters of pups and was due to come into heat again. I was please that he even considered spaying and I told him to go to SAGA as they did free spaying.
He took Skippy and was shocked when he picked her up - they wanted $215 BZ. Needless to say (he is also out of work) that he couldn't pay that. When he asked me to come inside he was very embarassed. I said I thought spaying was free - she said it was - In MARCH - this is April.
I paid the bill since I'm the one who sent him. I'm not sorry this is done - Skippy deserved a break - but sure wish it had been discussed with him up front.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 217 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.