Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
ron #406276 04/26/11 10:26 PM
C
C2C
C2C
C
Originally Posted by ron
Lights don't have to be mounted high on a pole they can be set up lower to the ground. If you set up solar lights at 8 ft. that would illuminate the ground and walking heights and not light the night.

Solar is a very good idea but at 8', they won't last long. Firstly, I seem to recall a fair number of trees along part of that road that would block the sun or have to be cut down or trimmed regularly. Secondly, street lights are typically mounted quite high to deter vandalism. If they can be reached with a stick or stone, the muggers, if not the kids, will have them knocked out in no time. Finally, as solar lights they'll have resale value and will be stolen by thieves if not vandalized first.
There's a fair amount of knowledge/research required to provide proper safety/security lighting for an area - far more than just throwing up some poles and running wires.

MayaHouse Rental, If the money is raised for street lighting and the lights are up and running in 2011 the government is not going to let them go dark in 2012, an election year.

The good news for those who are opposed to street lighting is that there is every chance sufficient funds will not even be raised. If that happens our tourists and residents will continue to walk, cycle or drive their slow moving golf carts on our unlit main road in the pitch dark at night.

Everything will be OK. They'll be fine. No need to worry.

M
M
Originally Posted by Chris

I agree.

Since I have a house up this way I have an interest in what happens but I am not sure the best course of action. The crime issue is one that must be addressed but I would really hate to see a lot of light pollution. We have gone to ridiculous lengths here in South Florida to keep the lights such that they don't bother the turtles when they hatch. Not sure it works as there is still a tremendous amount of light.

Perhaps the lights could be mounted such that they shine away from the beach side and down as much as possible. I am not sure that we even want a lot of traffic up North at night whether on foot or by golf cart. So, I am conflicted but I will yield to those that have live here and have lived here for a while and support whatever the decision is.

Captain One Iron
Originally Posted by MayaHouse Rental
Originally Posted by Chris

I agree.

I was being sarcastic, were you?

I agree with C2C.

"There's a fair amount of knowledge/research required to provide proper safety/security lighting for an area- far more than just throwing up some poles and running wires."

It seems there should be a more comprehensive plan to address crime in the area. Simply putting up lights and expecting the government to maintain them doesn't seem like a viable long term solution. Maybe those concerned; meaning those who have property north, could put together a broader plan and include the lighting if that is the consensus.

"Earth is an insane asylum, to which other planets deport their lunatics" Voltaire
M
M
I recently installed my own security light (sensor activated at night for $ 150bz ) and mounted it on the colunm that holds the meter. Granted, my property is south Ambergris, so I don't know exactly how many properties are inhabited up north, but if everyone who actually wanted street lights put their own light up, it may help the problem. The lights are very inexpensive to run. Just my 3 cents worth (inflation).

kmsqrd

Once BEL has a guarantee of 12 months payment for the energizing of the lights they supply the lights and install them. I believe they have the expertise in this matter.

BEL and not the Government is responsible for maintenance thereafter. The BEL position is that any defective light should be reported immediately and they will swiftly act to carry out repairs. BEL does not get paid for lights that have been reported defective and are out of commission so it's in their interest to carry out repair/replacement without delay.

BEL's business model is that $528BZE per year per light is a profitable venture for them but that a good proportion of that money is set aside for maintenance and does not go towards the electric bill part.

With regards to sensitive areas such as Tres Cocos where the properties are small and light pollution might be an issue, the standard street light used by BEL can be equipped with less powerful bulbs although I do not know if BEL have those in stock.

There has been discussion about street lighting along the road north long before Chris A. moved up to Grand Caribe. But he is highlighting a subject that is definitely a current issue.

Like it or not the island and its public roadways are available for passage for all residents and visitors of the island, regardless of where they live or come from. It is a matter of public safety that street lighting be placed in areas that are well traversed. Lights provide a measure of security as well as convenience.

I live south of San Pedro town and we are fortunate enough to have street lighting. We went through this issue already, we debated this and ultimately, regardless of the desire of many to not place lighting it was ultimately realized that the lighting is not solely there for the convenience of the residents, but also the visitors.

Although street lighting does impede the starlight view, one merely needs to walk 200 or 300 feet towards the sea or the lagoon in order to enjoy a view of the stars. If the light pollution prevents a fantastic view then there are many other pitch dark areas of the island that can still offer full starlit nights.

Although many ex-pats moved here to leave the wal-marts and MacDonald's burger joints, I can think of about 15,000 or so permanent residents on this island that would enjoy and frequent such establishments. Wherever people come from they tend to see amenities or natural wonders elsewhere that they would like to partake in. Personally I can live without a walmart or Mickey D's. Then again I am fortunate enough to be able to travel and enjoy such places when it is convenient for me. Not everybody that lives here can enjoy as much freedom of travel - but they still want to eat a juicy big mac and buy a blouse for $10 Bz along with a beautiful vase for the dining table.

Ambergris Caye is the number 1 tourist destination on the island. IMHO street lighting north of the bridge along the road is an essential element in regards to progress and growth of the tourism industry. Rather than fighting an inevitable issue regarding protection of life and property I would rather fight an issue that could indeed sound the death kneel to this island - off shore oil drilling!

Let's get serious about issues that will seriously negatively impact our lives, livelihood and environment beyond repair.

For those who wish to fight the progress of roads, streets, housing developments, hospitals and sport stadiums - I suggest that you consider finding a gated community where you can live with like minded people. Here on the island we consider the whole caye our home and we should be able to traverse safely and conveniently from point a to point b without stumbling around along dark roads and being attacked by loose uncontrolled dogs.

Many folks that have lived up north have enjoyed an almost private paradise for many years, so I can see why some people feel that the public are beginning to infringe and encroach upon their privacy, but it isn't all private lands and that chapter is closing.

Another hot and related issue has always been police patrols and enforcement. As the access to the north of the island becomes easier, the criminals will move up into that area on a more regular basis too. So with increased need for police patrols another level of privacy is stripped from the residents - but again, if you choose to live in a community these are the issues you need to accept and welcome into your lives.

Progress is here to stay - we can work on molding it gracefully or we can fight tooth and nail and progress will still happen. Roads, lights, schools, traffic, hospitals and building is going to happen so embrace these changes and improvements and help them occur in a practical and sustainable manner.

Let's put our true efforts against threats that can indeed ruin all of our collective lives.

Years ago I sold a lot to a couple that wanted to be conveniently close to town, but be in an area that had not yet developed. So I sold them a lot in a subdivision that didn't have any houses built yet and they built their home. Not long after they moved in they told me that they felt that they needed a few street light in their area. I checked with the power company and was told that the road the new residents were using was a track across private land and to put in a light the real road would need to be cleared. So off to the town board I went and I arranged for the designated road to be cleared so that the street lights could be installed. Not long after the newcomers came to me to complain that the town board back hoe had felled some beautiful trees. I explained to them that the designated road had to be cleared. They went away fuming about the trees - not understanding why they couldn't just use other people's private land as their access to their house. A few weeks later I saw them again and you know what they said.... the power company installed the street lights and they were unhappy because the light bothers them when they are trying to sleep and they didn't want to put up curtains. Phew.

My little moral to this story is that some people are never satisfied. They ask for the stars and moon, you deliver it and they complain that the lighting is too bright and inconvenient.

Island living isn't for everybody. We are all packed into small developed areas of the Caye and we have to learn to live together and sometimes we must put up with a few small inconveniences for the greater good of all.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 292 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.