Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
What's eating this?
Datura - member of the Deadly Nightshade family - as are tomatoes and potatoes. We started many of these plants from seed. They have a great fragrance - especially at night.
Other images in post
Image Details
Poster ScubaLdy Offline
Posted 04/28/11 09:25 AM
Here are photos of a few of my 'favorite things'. I need help identifying a couple of them.
Dimensions 798x1200
Size 131.53 KB

#406388 - 04/28/11 10:51 AM Re: What's eating this? [Re: ScubaLdy]
Judyann H. Offline
Wow Harriette... I am still a novice with regard to flora & fauna in Belize so I'm no help with the ID. However, I wanted to comment that these are incredible photos....Beautiful color and detail....Nice Job!
My friends call me Judyann

#410389 - 06/22/11 06:23 PM Re: What's eating this? [Re: ScubaLdy]
PSUhorty Offline
Your Datura leaf is being eaten by leafminers. More specifically, it's the larvae of a small fly that deposits its eggs inside the leaf. The larve then 'mines' its way through the leaf, between the upper and lower dermal layers... which is the tracking you see on the leaf.

#410401 - 06/22/11 08:55 PM Re: What's eating this? [Re: PSUhorty]
ScubaLdy Offline
Thanks - is there anything I can do about it? It seems to have abated some recently.
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

#410417 - 06/23/11 08:21 AM Re: What's eating this? [Re: ScubaLdy]
shuffles Offline
There is some powder at Castillos. The same things were eating the leaves of my cannas. You just powder up the leaves, top and bottom and they will go. After it rains or you get water on the leaves, you have to powder again. They really like these things!!
Change your Latitude

#410478 - 06/23/11 02:34 PM Re: What's eating this? [Re: ScubaLdy]
Cara Offline
Your third photo, the one with the BIG green worm...that's a hornworm. I have found them on my tomatoes. They turn into big moths, after they eat all the leaves off the plant. They leave little stubs of the leaf stems. The way "they" say to get rid of them is to pick them off and squish em, but they are huge, and I can't bear to step on them. I did spray with chemicals this year, when I found them. I am not on the island tho, I am in the states.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,734 Topics
461,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.