Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hey Reaper don't curse me like that. I have tried to work on the health system in a small way for the past few years and trust me, it has improved immensely recently which is testament to the hard work and efforts of some wonderful folks within the ministry of health and the Lions Club.

C
C
NOt that it should be done, but it can be done without anesthetic:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/exhibition/cesarean/index.html

Of course there are two lives to consider in this situation. More often than not, when an emergency cesarean section is needed, the baby is in distress and often needs treatment in a neonatal intensive care unit---obviously the trained professionals and equipment for treating such a poorly baby is not available here on the island.

M
M
Even after we have our hospital we will still need to have emergency medical evacuations available as it is not reasonable to think we could have a hospital that could handle all situations.
The emergency transportation issue must be addressed. Ideally we would have aircraft on the island at all times that could immediately be dispatched for such purposes. As the real need is infrequent in aviation terms it is not practical to have an aircraft dedicated to that purpose stationed here all the time. Even if we purchased an aircraft the maintenance necessary for an infrequently flown aircraft would lessen its reliability and would be cost prohibitive.
One obvious remedy is to put lights on the Municipal air strip. Being as BART (Wings of Hope) is stationed there they are grounded as soon as it gets dark. This could be done on an emergency basis very quickly and would offer some relief. Ultimately we need to be able to fly into Municipal at night on Missions of Mercy. That would speed up the process by a lot.
Possibly Jr. (Minister of Tourism and Civil Aviation) could mention this immediately available remedy to the Cabinet as they probably have no clue. Last time he mentioned the problem it was left to just faded away. Actually as Minister of Civil Aviation he probably has the power to pick up the phone and tell them to go install the lights at Municipal, one time.
It would be good if there was established an emergency loan fund to assist those who need emergency evacuation that do not immediately have the resources or just have no way to pay. It would be horrifying for someone to die because they did not have the money to pay for the emergency evac. I dont know that that has happened but payment is always an issue as aircraft are expensive to operate.

Last edited by Mike Campbell; 05/01/11 08:15 AM.
Could we not work out a sensible deal with say 'Astrum Helicopters'. The last time I spoke with them they had to sell one of the choppers due to lack of business. I think some monthly government support to them to have a helicopter and pilot available at all times would help in establishing a procedure to follow in instances like the one being discussed. A lighted helipad, a team trained to accompany the patient, and a communication system would be a lot cheaper (and faster) than building a hospital wouldn't it. Hospital's are very complex and expensive to establish and operate but doing something like the above wouldn't prevent that happening it would just, hopefully, go a long way toward solving the immediate problem. Just my two penneyworth.

Captain One Iron
C
C
Check the acquisition and operating costs for a bell 206L.
It would be cheaper to establish emergency medical care in spr than to rely on airlife.

I don't think you read my post correctly. I am well aware of the cost(s) operating and otherwise of a helicopters. My point was to pay Astrum, which already has the helicopter(s) and pilots a stipend each month from the government to be available for emergencies like this one. It would be absolute peanuts compared to building and operating a hospital. These are both subjects that I know something about and I am just trying to be helpful.

Captain One Iron
C
C2C
C2C
C
Agree with the Capt for what it's worth. However, as opined elsewhere, even with transportation in place a pre-hospital EMS would make sense (for starters) given the population.

For sure, what is an immediate priority, even before thinking of a hospital,is a 24 hour emergency room with staff trained in emergency care in there---perhaps a nurse trained in this field with the doctor on call.The other immediate necessity would be an aircraft to evacuate immediately---Tropic Air does this service for a fee, I myself have been taken as an emergency by night to Municipal Airport. It took about 1/2 an hour for the flight to be arranged.There are many residing here who would not be able to afford this fee, so a system to aid them would be vital.
So Priority # 1---an ER with 24 hour trained staff in situ
Priority # 2--- funding for persons of need for a plane charter in an emergency.

C
C2C
C2C
C
Depending on the services you expect the ER to provide, that seems reasonable but an ER (in the sense understood in 1st world) could be overkill. Bear with me.
If reliable, speedy transportation to the mainland is available, properly trained paramedics/nurses/doctors can (generally) stabilize patients for transport to a better equipped medical facility.
In the long term, yes, ER for sure. There are many life-threatening emergencies where time is of the essence - no argument there. But it seems this project is starting pretty much at square one so from a financial (and health care) standpoint, taking full advantage of resources that already exist seems to be the correct "baby step".

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.