Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#404732 04/12/11 08:40 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Almost seven thousand students from across the country sat the science and English paper of the PSE yesterday. A total of 6,960 students registered to sit the exam, 292 more than last year. The students will sit the second part of the exam on Monday May 9th.

Marty #404739 04/12/11 08:55 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
OVER 6,000 STUDENTS SIT PRIMARY SCHOOL EXAMINATION

Standard six students from across the country are today sitting part one of the 2011 Primary School Examinations (PSE). Yvonne Davis, Principal Education Officer in charge of the Examinations Unit.

Yvonne Davis - Principal Education Officer, Examinations Unit

"The exam is administered over a two day period and today is day one. Today the students are responding to the English paper and the science paper. There are two papers on the science exam, a paper one and a paper two and a multiple choice for the science. A total of 6,960 candidates have registered to sit the exam today, this includes 31 private candidates and 6,929 school candidates. This number reflects an overall increase from 2009, an increase of 4.2%, 292 students more than last year. There is normally a slight increase in the number of students who register each year that has been the trend. I think one year we had a decrease in performance but this year it is normal for a slight increase in the population of candidates that register to write the exam each year. What is noticeable this year is that of all the districts, Belize District is the only district that shows a slight decrease in the numbers from 2010, a decrease of 0.6% just about 12 to 15 students but all the other districts have shown increase in the number of candidates writing the exam today."

Davis spoke on the core areas of testing in the Science and English papers.

Yvonne Davis - Principal Education Officer, Examinations Unit

"The English paper, there are two papers, the first paper the multiple choice paper consist of the comprehension items and mechanics items and the mechanics of the English Language which include vocabulary, punctuation, grammar those areas that relate to the mechanics of the English Language. In the comprehension section they are required to respond to different types of reading material and these reading material include newspaper articles, it includes of course the normal narrative pieces that would come from their text or at their level and we also include in this section poetry as well there are the formal pieces that has to deal with an expository piece of narrative so they are responding to those. In the Science section the student respond to questions that are within the primary school curriculum from among areas such as plants, rocks and soils, biology area that deals with the human anatomy, they also look at some physics, they also look at some chemistry at the standard six level."

Day two of the examination will be administered Monday May 9th. Davis says Orange Walk has set the precedence as the top performing district.

LOVEFM

Marty #404740 04/12/11 08:57 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Almost 7,000 sit Primary School Examinations

It's one of the most nerve racking days for standard six students in every corner of the country because today almost seven thousand took the first half of the Primary School Examinations. It is not a mandatory requirement but the P.S.E. is one of the factors that high schools consider when reviewing applications to determine who will be accepted. The students were under great pressure going in this morning, but just before two o’clock this afternoon News Five caught with some of the candidates and found out that the nerves had been replaced by relief.

Rianne Jex, P.S.E. Student, Holy Redeemer Primary School

"It was good to me because our teacher taught us most of the stuff so."

Rianne Jex & Gina Parchue

Gina Parchue, P.S.E. Student, Holy Redeemer Primary School

"Well, for me it was a little bit challenging and some of the questions, you have to do a lot of thinking."

Delahnie Bain

” I know you said you've been preparing since last October, but what kind of preparation have you been doing?”

Rianne Jex

"We did morning class, afternoon classes and evening classes."

Gina Parchue

"We also did a little bit of group work, presentations and stuff like that."

Danica Blade & kiyarah austin

Danica Blade, P.S.E. Student, Holy Redeemer Primary School

"The science was kind of complicated but most of the items that were on it, our teacher gave us. And the English, it was doable."

Kiyarah Austin, P.S.E. Student, Holy Redeemer Primary School

"It was fair to me. I practically knew everything. I put in my time; I studied so I just came to do what I learned today."

Danica Blade

"I wasn't that nervous, but it was kind of shaky, shaky."

Kiyarah Austin

"I was nervous but when I sat down and looked through the questions, I basically knew all of them."

Daniel Pickwoad, P.S.E. Student, Holy Redeemer Primary School

Daniel Pickwoad & antoine gillett

"It could be challenging and it could be easy, depends on how you work."

Antoine Gillett, P.S.E. Student, Holy Redeemer Primary School

"The science was a bit challenging and the English, some of it we knew because they taught us it. We were shown the different ways how to do it."

Delahnie Bain

"At the end of the day, are you confident that you did well?"

Antoine Gillett

"Yes ma'am."

Daniel Pickwoad

"Yes, yes I am confident."

Delahnie Bain

"And you're ready for the next round?"

Daniel Pickwoad

"I was ready from today."

Antoine Gillett

"I’m ready for the next round of exams."

Alyssa Reyes

Alyssa Reyes, P.S.E. Student, Belize Elementary School

"Today went okay, I was a little nervous at first but now that I’m done it's okay."

Delahnie Bain

"Was there any one in particular that was more difficult than the other?"

Alyssa Reyes

"English paper two."

Neeraj Pagarani, P.S.E. Student, Belize Elementary School

"It was okay, I was little bit nervous from before but it was okay."

Javier Molina, P.S.E. Student, Belize Elementary School

Neeraj Pagarani, javier molina and dennis ma

"Well, it was really easy because my mom lets me study all the time so it was easy for me today."

Dennis Ma, P.S.E. Student, Belize Elementary School

"Some of the questions were a little bit confusing but I thought of it then answered the questions."

Delahnie Bain

"And you all are ready for the next round of exams?"

Neeraj Pagarani

"Yes because I already studied it from before."

Javier Molina

"I only have to study a little more for Math. Social I’m good with that."

Dennis Ma

"I really have to put more effort in my math."

Channel 5

Marty #404741 04/12/11 08:57 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Less Belize District students sat P.S.E.

As we said earlier, this year had almost seven thousand registered candidates; that's an increase of more than a hundred students compared to 2010. But according to Yvonne Davis, the Principal Education Officer responsible for Examinations, for the first time, the Belize District was the only area that had a decrease in the number of students.

Yvonne Davis, Principal Education Officer for Examinations, M.O.E.

"We have six thousand nine hundred and sixty students registered for the P.S.E. today. Of that number, three thousand five hundred and thirty-six are females and three thousand four hundred and twenty-four are makes. This also includes private candidates; those persons who are not of primary school age and want to take a second chance at sitting the exam or people who have dropped out of the system and want a chance to sit the exam. We have a four point two percent increase in the overall numbers. All districts show an increase in the number of candidates registered this year, with the exception of Belize District that has a decrease of zero point six percent; a very small decrease but it's the only district that shows a decrease this year in the number of candidates registered for the P.S.E."

Delahnie Bain

Yvonne Davis

"Can speak about the papers that the students had today?"

Yvonne Davis

"The day one papers are English paper and the Science paper. English comprises two composition pieces, a letter and the composition of a narrative. The Science paper is fifty multiple choice."

Delahnie Bain

"When is day two?"

Yvonne Davis

"Day two is scheduled for Monday, May the ninth, which is about three weeks from today. Because of the way Easter falls this year the timing between the two dates is short. So the schools, the parents, the children they need to be aware that they have a short period of time between day one and day two this year."

On day two, the students will have Math papers one and two and Social Studies exams.

Channel 5

Marty #407357 05/10/11 12:39 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The second half of the annual Primary School Examinations was sat on various campuses across the country today. A total of six thousand, four hundred and ninety-two students registered to sit both Math and Social Studies exams. Traditionally, problem solving has proven to be an area of great difficulty as a majority of those who sit the exams struggle to complete the questions successfully. While it is too early to determine the overall outcome of the 2011 PSEs, it is clear that more students sat the exams this year than previous years. This afternoon News Five caught up with the Principal Education Officer as well as several students as they were leaving the exam rooms.

Isani Cayetano

"How well do you think you have performed in the PSEs overall, Math and Social Studies included?"

Daylene Palacio

Daylene Palacio, Student, St. Agnes Anglican School

"Well I think I passed high because it was easy. Just like how my teachers taught it in the class it was in the PSE so I thought it was [easy] and I passed with a high grade."

Yvonne Davis, Principal Education Officer, Nat'l Exams

"We have on record six thousand, four hundred and ninety-two students to sit the exam today and this is an increase from last year that I had noted earlier. From the numbers we tallied from the day one sitting we had one hundred and ninety-two students absent on day one so more or less we'll expect the same number of students absent day two or maybe a slight variation in the attendance."

Yvonne Davis

Isani Cayetano

"I've managed to interview a couple of the students as they were leaving out of the different compounds where they sat the exams and there's the perennial issue of Math being difficult. Can you share with us if there was a degree of difficulty in this year's exam as opposed to previous years they've sat PSEs?"

Yvonne Davis

"The test is set more or less the same each year because the table of specifications remains. We have been testing these skills in Math for over ten years so what we tested five years ago we tested today as well. The Math problem solving paper has always been the challenge on the PSE."

Isani Cayetano

"What were your preparations like for the problem solving? I know you've heard all the countless stories of Math giving students like yourself problems in primary school. What was your preparation like?"

Osrick Chimilio

Osrick Chimilio, Student, St. Joseph School

"Well I worked long hours and my mom really gave me a lot of work to do and my teachers so that's like really good help. You just have to work hard and that way you'll achieve your goals."

Isani Cayetano

"What about the Social Studies part of today's exams? What were some of the questions like?

Osrick Chimilio

"Some of the questions were just like things about basic ordinary stuff like during life and basic knowledge. So like that was the easiest part of the exam."

According to Davis, the results of the exams are expected to be released in early June.

Channel 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 313 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.