He took over office on April 30, 2009 and two years later, Police Top Brass, Commissioner Crispin Jefferies is bowing out of that post as he enters retirement age. Much has been said about the no-nonsense cop, who many saw preceding his days as Commissioner to be too harsh for the job. Love News spoke with Commissioner Jefferies yesterday and asked him to give us his views on the past two years in office, how he grades his performance, and whether he would have done anything differently.

Crispin Jefferies - Commissioner of Police
"The arrangement is for me to stay on until a successor is appointed or identified and a process will take place for the transition."

Marion Ali - Reporter
In terms of looking back, in retrospect is there anywhere along the lines where you felt you could have done things differently if you had a second take?

"There will always be hindsight. There will be things that you wanted to do, things that you needed to do and things that you did not have the resource to get done, things that you don't have the support from the rank and file, the people who think differently from you will not act as you act in an organization. Belize has seen 12 Belizean Commissioners; there are some who view it as not wanting to see a foreigner to become the next Commissioner, I am number 13. I have served in the Department since we had the first Commissioner Mr. Adolphus. I think the role of Commissioner of Police is one where I believe there is much that can be done internally, nationally to change the way we are going rather than we see ourselves bringing in a foreigner as the Commissioner but I would totally 100% support the appointment of an advisor because we do see that foreign assistance come with foreign advisors."

Marion Ali - Reporter
You're pleased with your performance?

"One would never be totally happy with what they have achieved but there are certainly a lot that I would have wanted to achieve and there are certainly a lot that would have been needed to achieve some of those things."

LOVEFM