Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#407833 - 05/14/11 10:45 PM Gringo Pays More Mentality Pervasive In Belize?
OttoGear Offline
Part 1:

In much of Central and South America there is a mentality that the foreigner (especially the white American looking foreigner) should pay more. So in all kinds of businesses the payment for products and services will be substantially more for the foreign looking person than the native born.

Perhaps some people could answer or comment on part 1 above?
Is the part 1 mentality pervasive on the Belize mainland? What about Ambergris Caye?

Part 2

The mentality mentioned in part 1 even breeds extortionist criminal set ups where lawyers and even government officials are paid off when someone rams into your car intentionally and accuses you of trying to kill them. The penalty is huge and everyone involved in the ring collects. There are many different variations of this kind of criminal scheme.

What about the criminal activity or something similar mentioned in part 2? Have you seen it happen in Belize? What about Ambergris Caye?

Thanks for your honesty.

Otto Gear

#407834 - 05/14/11 10:53 PM Re: Gringo Pays More Mentality Pervasive In Belize? [Re: OttoGear]
elbert Offline
Good paranoid conspiracy theorys just need a little fodder to grow and are very appealing to the uncritical or unstable, and you've posted it here?

#407835 - 05/14/11 10:59 PM Re: Gringo Pays More Mentality Pervasive In Belize? [Re: OttoGear]
SP Daily Offline
Maybe if you expect that kinda crap you can find it here...but I doubt it. We all get along together and develop trusting friendships throughout the community. Plus, everyone looks out for each other so a scammer like you are thinking of wouldn't last long.

#407837 - 05/14/11 11:27 PM Re: Gringo Pays More Mentality Pervasive In Belize? [Re: OttoGear]
C2C
Originally Posted By: OttoGear
Part 1:o in all kinds of businesses the payment for products and services will be substantially more for the foreign looking person than the native born.

Despite protestations to the contrary, this holds true in Belize as it does in most of Central America, Asia, Africa, Middle East... Too many gringos are un-educated in the actual cost of things and some even feel guilty paying "poverty rates" (for example, BZ minimum wage) for work. Estimates are based not on the true cost of labor and materials with acceptable mark-up but on the gullibility of the client and ability to pay. It's very common.
The informed gringo does his research/due diligence, recognizes when this is happening, and acts accordingly.

Originally Posted By: Otto
The mentality mentioned in part 1 even breeds extortionist criminal set ups where lawyers and even government officials are paid off when someone rams into your car intentionally and accuses you of trying to kill them. The penalty is huge and everyone involved in the ring collects. There are many different variations of this kind of criminal scheme.

Although I have seen this in SE Asia, Indonesia, Philippines, and the US, I have yet to personally witness this in Belize But really, you really shouldn't be giving them ideas.

#407839 - 05/15/11 12:22 AM Re: Gringo Pays More Mentality Pervasive In Belize? [Re: ]
SP Daily Offline
I guess you haven't lived here for any length of time and don't appreciate our community spirit. Too bad for you...

#407845 - 05/15/11 02:02 AM Re: Gringo Pays More Mentality Pervasive In Belize? [Re: OttoGear]
C2C
SP Daily it was you who wrote: "Maybe if you expect that kinda crap you can find it here" which means it is here. Your words, not mine. Maybe you need more time to trust the community spirit.

Yes, the community and friendships help to get the word out and that's part of the due diligence I wrote about. The gringo who goes it alone may well get scammed.

#407853 - 05/15/11 02:56 AM Re: Gringo Pays More Mentality Pervasive In Belize? [Re: OttoGear]
belizeonthebeach Offline
If you are lacking common sense, are paranoid by nature and have no sense of adventure than I suggest you try a place where none of the above are a prerequisite.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 39 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,047 Topics
462,273 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.