Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
A note from the north end of the island:
<blockquote>
Tazmara asked me to get the message out that despite CNN's comments Amergris Caye has not disappeared and we will be back in business real soon.</blockquote>

That was what EVERYONE said after Mitch when the communications blackout ended.

We love a bunch of tough old coots, and lets give em the benefit of the doubt here.

Pretty soon it'll be a macho thing ya know, like "I rode it out on the island, no sweat." Of course thats long after they quit shaking!

This island is going to be back in business in the blink of an eye. Took a couple weeks after Mitch, it'll take a little longer this time, but it'll get done.

Peace and Love,
Marty

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 10-02-2000).]

L
L
Marty - thanks for your reassuring comments. I am glad people appear to be okay down there. I hope everything will be back to a fairly normal state by Thanksgiving!

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
-

O
O
Marty, without knowing who you are, I love you a whole bunch. You have been incredible giving us all the information possible. Thank you so much, but don't you think it is pretty safe for you to take a break. I am worried for your well being. Please take care of yourself
Oni

W
W
Marty just like during Mitch you are a Peach! I had no idea you were a chef in Oregon. How yummy! I sure hope that I can someday frequent your establishment & give you a big "abrazo."

Your lifelong friends in Houston--
Jennifer & Alonzo Badillo

P
P
Marty, still waiting for word on the Oconnors and all their employees, coconut dr
barefoot watersports....vacation starts thurs(supposed to be in san pedro), if i cant make it to belize will come home to vancouver wa and bring you a feather pillow and a keoke coffee..you're a doll.....seriously, i work for fedex and get a 75%discount and my husband works for american airlines...anything anybody needs to get to someone email me and i can put on by fed ex account and they can pay me later...if a bunch of stuff i'll just fly it down myself or see if can get deal w/fedex..can go [email protected] we are stationed in dfw area

E
Eva Offline
E
Marty,
You are truly a saint and said "beacon in the storm". I know you only from this board, which my boyfriend and I have been on for the last couple of months while planning our trip to AC in November (we're coming no matter what, and will help all we can while there). Everyone has been incredibly giving of time, information and resources. I feel like you are all a big family, and the way you all pull together in good times and bad is such a gift. I am a social worker here for the Head Start Program, and I see so much hardship and struggle with just daily life for the families under my "care". I do what I can to make a difference, so on some level I can relate I think to all that you are trying to do, and you are truly an inspiration to me and to all those under your "care" right now. Our prayers have been and continue to be with everyone in Belize, and a special one for you for your tireless and immeasurable dedication to helping bring people information about their family and friends. God Bless you Marty, and please get some rest.
Sincerely,
Eva and Wayne
Chicago, IL. USA

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
AT 5:45 PM IT WAS STILL RAINING BUT WAS ABLE TO GET CALL FROM A CEL PHONE OFF THE 3RD FLOOR OF THE MAYAN PRINCESS - THERE ARE NO REPORTS OF ANY CASUALTIES, PEOPLE ARE STILL BEING KEPT OFF THE STREETS SINCE 'KEITH' IS STILL AROUND, IT WAS STILL RAINING, AMIGOS DEL MAR'S PIER IS STILL STANDING EXCEPT FOR SOME DAMAGE TO IT'S ROOF, THE AREA AROUND THE MAYAN PRINCESS HAD NO WATER, RAMON'S VILLAGE PIER COULD BE SEEN STANDING IN THE DISTANCE. THE REPORTS, UNCONFIRMED, FROM THE WESTERN SIDE OF THE ISLAND WAS THAT THERE WAS CHEST HIGH WATER AND THAT THE SMALLER HOMES SUSTAINED GREAT DAMAGE - THIS IS THE SIDE WHERE THE WINDS WERE WORST. TELEPHONE AND ELECTRICAL POLES AROUND THE ISLAND ARE DOWN AND COMMUNICATION IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE.
KEEP EVERYONE IN YOUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
OK, SORRY TO YELL, BUT HERE'S THE DEAL...I'M IN DALLAS W/ DALLAS DAVE AND CELESTE WHO HAVE CHILDREN AND FAMILY ON THE ISLAND... JUST TALKED TO JERRY MCDERMOTT WHO HAS RADIO CONTACT TO OUR FAV ISLAND,...WORD IS, EVERYBODY IS OK...VERY FEW CASUALTIES, MAYBE SOME FOLKS ON THE OUTSKIRTS WAY IN THE BACK IN SHACKS, NOBODY KNOWS...LOTS OF PEOPLE COMING BY THE AIRPORT (WHERE THE RADIO IS) SAYING EVERYBODY OK FOR THE MOST PART,MAYBE SOME CUTS AND SRATCHES FROM FLYING DEBRIS, LOT'S OF DAMAGE, LOT'S OF ROOFS GONE,(MOSTLY TIN), BUT ALSO LOT'S OF FOOD AND WATER, AND EVERYONE GOOD AND JUST WAITING OUT THE STORM. THEIR COMING IN WED TO BELIZE CTY. TO TRY TO MAKE IT TO THE ISLE. HOPE THIS COMFORTS LOTS OF YOU OUT THERE,...VERY, VERY GOOD NEWS!

---------------------
Rick Dowell, with the US State Department Emergency Evacuation Center, reported to us that David Chang with the US Consulate office in Belize has been in communication with John Grief, Jr. of Tropicaire. Mr. Grief indicates he has been in contact with representatives on Ambergris Caye as well as administrators of St. Matthew's University School of Medicine. He stated there were no reports of medical emergencies or fatalities on Ambergris Caye. An administrator of St. Matthew's University reported that all campus buildings appear to be intact.
Most damage observed thus far was apparently confined to the Western side of the island.

We will continue to update this information as it is available to us.
Betsy Thornton
St. Matthews

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
THE FOLLOWING PEOPLE ARE AT SUNDIVER BEACH RESORT AND ARE ALL FINE IN GOOD SPIRITS AND HELPING AS MUH AS POSSIBLE:
TAZMARA, CONNOR, AND ROSS GOWANS
kATHRYN SCOTT
FRANK, JORDIE, AND JANET (FRANKS HAD IS HURT BUT HE IS OKAY)
ERIN AYCOCK
JUSTIN DUDEK
KIRSTEN ANDERSON
AARON MURPHY
PIGGY THOMAS
HANK HENDERSON
RAY AND ROBERT ERBEZNIK
SEAN McKELVY
STACY BENIDICT
YAMIT SHIMONOVITZ
PAUL OLINDE
MIKE AND CAROLYN APPLEBAUM (MOM AND BABY ARE FIEN AND MOMS NURSING SKILLS ARE COMMING IN HANDY)
JANET PRICE
CHRIS AND JENNIFER LANE
MIKE ST. HILAIRE
SCOTT HEADBOLOM
JULIE FLECKENSTEIN
GLEN TAYLER
TIM HARLEND
BETH HUMPHREYS
ALLEN PARKS
ALBERT FRIGONE
CHRIS GRAVES
ALI FARHAT
JR VECERRA
MATT KENEDY
DEAN ELLIOT
BRIAN HAILFLEY
BOB AND DIANE CAMBELL ( BOTH ARE WELL AND WORKING HARD)
AT JOURNEYS END (MY BROTHER IN LAW WENT DOWN THERE EARLIER TODAY AND GOT A LIST ALL FORM ESSENE WAY ARE NOW BACK AT JE)
AMY WURBLE
RIEL PALE
KELLY W
JEFF AND ALISON TAUPER
VALERY LOW
CHRIS SKIPINSKI
MIND AND KYLE A COUPLE ON THEIR HONEY MOON

HOUSES BETWEEN sUNDIVER AND JE
- RICK PISEL
-CABIMAQANA
-DENNIS RUSSEL WANT MARY HAWTHORN TO KNOW HE IS OKAY

mESSAGE FROM SUNDIVER REGARDLESS OF WHAT CNN IS REPROTING AMBERGRIS CAYE IS STILL THERE AND WITH THE EXCEPTION OF SOME STRUCTURAL DAMAGE ALL IS FINE THEY ARE ALL WORKING HARD AND TRYING TO PREPARE FOR THE NIGHT. CALLS WILL BE MADE WHEN POSSIBLE.
IF YOU HAVE SPECIFIC QUESTIONS POST AND I WILL TRY TO ANSWER FROM WHAT I KNOW AND ASK WHEN THEY CALL AGAIN.

---------------------
I have just spoken with My sister and mom at Sundiver they have given me an updated list of people at Journeys End and Sundiver.
People Known to be at sundiver
previos list plus
Tom Colamaria
People now know to be at Journeys end
previous list plus
Debbi
Beatrice
Mike and Joanne Smith
Leha Midgit
Lily & Lubo
Susan & wayne
Teresa
Bertha & Judy
Wayne Baldwin
The Chef at Journeys End Name unknown
Marlin
Keving Spicer
Deadra Spean

Other places people are
-Preston Sharp is at Capricorn Had radio contact with sundiver
-Chris sharp was seen at Journeys End but no one from Sundiver saw or spoke to him
- Allan Blassberg and Ann the Make up artist are at Maruba they are safe and sound and having a good time from current reports. Telephone contact has been made with these two from people at FOX.

As for conditions the rain is still falling but not as hard and the wind has died down. My famiyl is faring well and sound in fairly good spirits. They will contact again tomorrow so look for info from me or my dad "JAY" it will always have sundiver in the topic. I hope all are feeling better and good luck adn God bless.
arianna scott

IP: Logged

Canadian Sister
- posted 10-02-2000 10:06 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
their is a correction possible
deirdra spean may be a relative to one of the people on the island at JE. Not sure
--------------------
I am certain everyone is safe, we just cannot communicate with them. NO ONE has been hurt. I'm getting bits and pieces from here and there,but no continual contact
this is tough, sitting and waiting, but it will work out, I assure you, we went throught the exact same thing with mitch. The communications will come up, then its huggin time.

hang in there...

Marty

Online Donatons at: //AmbergrisCaye.com/towncouncil/keith.html

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 10-02-2000).]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 359 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.