Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#40845 - 06/16/01 05:36 PM diver certification on AC
silly Offline
After all of the talk about getting certified using PADI etc., who would you seasoned divers recommend using to either take a retreat course or open water while in AC? I know this may be a controversial question as I know many of you have had varied experiences.
Any input would be appreciated. We will be there for 1 week, staying At the Victoria House.
Thanks!

#40846 - 06/16/01 09:00 PM Re: diver certification on AC
patrick-e Offline
We dove with Hustler Tours on our last visit to AC, and were very please with their service. Now, after nearly 100 dives in 5 years, we have decided to go for our Advance Open Water Certification, and again ,we plan to use Hustler. But, from the posts on the board, it sounds like most of the shops are reputable and provide a safe instruction. The cost of certification is about the same with all of the services. The important thing is that you are confortable with the dive shop/instructor. There has been much discussion recently about which accrediting service (PADI, NAUI, or SSI) to use, and again the most important thing is that you have confidence in your divemaster and instructor.

Another option is to take the Open Water Certification course in your home town; most dive shops and YMCA's offer this as well.

Whatever you do, make sure that you take that course, because the experience of diving is like no other on this earth! The feeling of weighlessness in the water and all of the sights to be seen underwater. From the many varied types of coral and sponge to the infinite variety of fish to spot underwater, it is truely remarkable. Those that never experience it are missing an entirely different world underwater that is absolutely awesome.

#40847 - 06/17/01 12:49 PM Re: diver certification on AC
Dallas Dave Offline
I would reccomend Roland O'Conner. He works out of the dock at Royal Palms, south of town. He's a Brit but don't hold that against him...LOL

#40848 - 06/17/01 07:36 PM Re: diver certification on AC
Florian Offline
While I have not been diving with him, yet, I have been favorably impressed with the concern for safety and his ability to articulate the same that Gaz Cooper has expressed on this board. So I think

Gaz Cooper
PADI Instructor #48642
Gaz Cooper's DIVE BELIZE http://www.divebelize.com

should be given serious consideration.

I intend to dive with him the next time I visit AC.

#40849 - 06/19/01 01:34 AM Re: diver certification on AC
kong Offline
I just got back and met some people who were staying at Victoria House. There weren't many people diving from there, so they kept cancelling the daily dive trips. This sucked for these people since they paid for the dive package.
Another couple staying at Ramon's with us used Blue Hole Divers to get certified and they were very happy with them. I didn't dive with Blue Hole myself, so I can't personally say anything, but this guy and his girlfriend both were very happy with them.

They are just up the beach from Ramon's.
I think it's a good place to get certified since you can do a couple dives inside the reef at about 30', and then some deeper ones right outside the reef.
A girl was on my trip to the blue hole, and she had just gotten certified the day before by Ramon's. Her first real dive down to 130' and sharks.. That's pretty good!

#40850 - 06/19/01 05:10 AM Re: diver certification on AC
silly Offline
Thanks very much for your input!
I knew that Victoria House had a dive shop but I hadn't heard of anyone's experiences with them. We will probably get there and assess the situation. 10 more days!

#40851 - 06/29/01 11:30 PM Re: diver certification on AC
SLY-SCUBA-DENISE Offline
Hi....We just returned this week and dove with Patojo's....Excellent!! Excellent staff and Patojo is wonderful...Highly recommend!!!

#40852 - 07/06/01 02:29 AM Re: diver certification on AC
silly Offline
thanks for all of your input. As it turned out, we ended up getting certified by Gil Nunez at Ramones. He was great and I felt very safe with him. We later did some dives with Rene and Jacinto Bradley at Victoria House and they were fabulous as well!

#40853 - 07/06/01 10:49 PM Re: diver certification on AC
GA Peaches Offline
I would also have to recommend Gaz Cooper! Three of us in our group had never been diving and we were impressed with Gaz! I had never even been snorkeling! I know I'm hooked, its awesome! I didn't have time to get certified from GAZ, but I plan to get certified in my home town so I'll be ready for the next trip! He was great and so was Andy that works with Gaz. Drop him a line or give him a call! Everyone at his shop and condo were excellent and the service was supurb!

#40854 - 07/09/01 05:34 PM Re: diver certification on AC
Turnbun Offline
What operation took the 1st-time diver to Blue Hole at 130 feet? I will make sure NOT to use that operation when I'm down there as they are obviously not concerned with safety to take a baby diver to Blue hole and go down that far.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Marty, 1 invisible), 40 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,674 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,054 Topics
462,289 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.