Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#409102 06/02/11 08:47 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The Ride Across Starts Up

And while it took an Herculean effort to clear off the canal side, it takes an Olympian effort for the participants in the 2011 Ride Across Belize to participate in the event.

They put down the first leg from Corozal to Belize today and we were there to see them come in:

Monica Bodden Reporting

After pedaling 88 miles from Corozal Town to Belize City â�" the riders arrived just a little before midday. It is the 8th annual SSB Ride across Belize. The first leg of the race started at 6am this morning in Corozal Town.

Edmund Castro, rider
"This one was very tough. For some reason, maybe because I really never had the amount of mileage that I need to have for the distance, it was tough. And then the heat was on as well. Tomorrow we have the hills, from Belize City to San Ignacio, and the one that I don't like is the one from San Ignacio to Dangriga. I think I will skip most of that one."

Rolando Zetina, Rider
"It is always challenging. preparation, I think, takes between 4 - 5 months, riding at least 5 times a week, and the road is not easy. It's quite rough, so you have to be in really good shape to stand the shaking of the bike and the pressure on your legs. They most challenging, I'd say, is from Cayo to Dangriga, basically because of the hills on the Hummingbird."

Thurnica Milton, SSB, Branch Manager
"The objectives over the year, have been to give sponsorships to worthy causes. For example, for this year, we're contributing to the Cancer Society in Dangriga, and also BERT, they ambulance service that we have in our country today."

The race continues tomorrow morning from Belize City to San Ignacio.

Phillipa McDonald, First Class Clerk, SSB
"You have a wide cross-section of riders, elite, amateur, people doing it just for fun, as we advertize the ride, it's not a race it's just a ride so it's whatever that you can peddle, and as my branch manager mentioned, it's all to gain sponsorships for worthy causes, in this case the Dangriga Cancer and BERT Ambulance."

Phillipa McDonald
"The second leg starts tomorrow at 6 o'clock. It leave right from our Belize City office en route to Santa Elena. It stops for a brief moment to in Belmopan. From Santa Elena, it proceeds to Dangriga, stopping for a brief moment in Independence. And from Dangriga, the last stage is en route to Punta Gorda. So it' covers the entire country."

This year's ride is to raise funds for The Belize Cancer Center in Dangriga and BERT.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

ANNUAL RIDE ACROSS BELIZE BEGINS

Over three hundred riders suited up this morning for the first leg of the eighth annual Ride Across Belize, which took off from Corozal for an eighty-four mile ride to Belize City. It's an event organized by the Social Security Board to raise funds for charitable organizations, but despite the current economic situation, organizer and participant Chandra Cansino says support for the event was tremendous.

Chandra Cansino - Organizer, Ride across Belize
"This year the ride is bigger than it has ever been and I hope that translates into collections for the charities because as you know that is the main reason for doing the ride. We were happy with the turnout. The biggest challenge as an organizer of the ride is organizing the size of the crowd because it has gotten so big. The corporate businesses have their own teams now, which is good. The good thing about it is that they work together with us, there were no incidents. I look forward to the next three days of smooth sailing."

The enthusiasm was high as cyclists from Belize and the US joined together for the cause.

Karen Rosito - Participant
"This year it was extra special one, it is my first year; two it is a Digicell year there were 50 something Digicell employees and friends that showed up for this ride and we all finished. It was for a good cause we burned almost 4000 calories each ands it was fun."

Janelle Chanona - Participant
"It feels really good when you get out there in the middle of nowhere and it is hot and you are tired and you are miserable and you can think of another place to be right then, knowing that you are riding to support an initiative like the Dangriga Cancer Center and BERT ambulance it just makes you push yourself a little bit more and it feels extra special when you get here."

Participant and organizer Dr. Ramon Figueroa says that tomorrow, cyclists will be faced with the second leg of the ride across Belize from the Old Capital to Santa Elena.

Ramon Figueroa - Organizer
"We leave from here and we go to Santa Elena, we stop briefly in Belmopan then the third day we do from Santa Elena to Dangriga and then the last day we go from Dangriga to Punta Gorda. People can join, can do part of any of the stages you could do a mile, two miles, you can do the whole thing it depends on your physical capacity. We encourage people to pay their registration, the registration goes towards the servicing but more than that I encourage people to give to the cause."

Seventy percent of the funds raised will benefit the Belize Cancer Center and thirty percent will benefit the Belize Emergency Response Team(BERT).

LOVEFM

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.