The largest school on Ambergris Caye and other offices were evacuated this morning for safety purposes after a person was stung by bees. Jorge Aldana has the details in the following report.
Jorge Aldana – San Pedro Correspondent
Over 800 students and teachers were evacuated from the San Pedro Roman Catholic School after bees stung a student this morning. Not only were the students evacuated but the staff working at the offices of the Belize Tourism Board, The Minister of Tourism office and the public library were also evacuated. The school management informed the public health department that bees were seen in the school compound and that one student was stung. When the relevant authorities arrived they discovered the bee hive inside the space that separates the flat that houses the public library and the upper flat that houses BTB office and the Minister of Tourism Office; building that is located opposite the school.
According to San Pedro RC School Principal Roxanne Kay, it took the teachers about 20 minutes to get all 800 students off the compound to the central park.
A section of Barrier Reef Drive remains closed until all the bees are exterminated.
Reporting for Love News from San Pedro Town, I am Jorge Aldana.