Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#409316 - 06/06/11 03:36 AM bikes vs golf carts vs water taxis?
lisanuevayork Offline
Hello again all you generous informants
You have made great suggestions of things to do. We have eight of us staying at the very south of the island. Part of my vacation will be to have some peace and quiet away from the teenagers and I'm sure they will want to do things we won't. What would be the most practical and economical way to have some independence? I think there are a few bikes at the house we are staying at-should we just rent enough? safe at night to bike back from town after eating? or maybe a few golf carts? Then someone mentioned water taxis run frequently but since she couldnt get info, don't know how expensive they are?

Muchisimas Gracias!

Edited by lisanuevayork (06/06/11 03:37 AM)

#409322 - 06/06/11 12:48 PM Re: bikes vs golf carts vs water taxis? [Re: lisanuevayork]
Canam Offline
Depending on how far south, I say bikes. But again, if you are way down there golf carts would be best. It's not dangerous as it is dark and lonely at night (way down there).

#409323 - 06/06/11 12:59 PM Re: bikes vs golf carts vs water taxis? [Re: lisanuevayork]
Diane Campbell Offline
Land taxi's will also take you home - especially recommended at night - this assumes that you are going to have a drink or two with dinner - most folks do. Drinking and driving don't mix, even with a golf cart or a bike. Drinking age is 18.

#409345 - 06/06/11 03:48 PM Re: bikes vs golf carts vs water taxis? [Re: lisanuevayork]
lovey and thurston Offline
Bikes would be a great way to explore the island by day. We have a few pot holes in the road that far down south and really wouldn't recommend them at night. Golf cart is probably the best option for evening. You don't say how old your teenagers are, but agree with Diane, a land taxi would be the safest way for them to come home at night if you are not with them. Then you can relax and enjoy.

#409371 - 06/06/11 09:50 PM Re: bikes vs golf carts vs water taxis? [Re: lisanuevayork]
tortuga.chica Offline
Bikes are a great way to get around on the island during the day. I would like to make a suggestion if you do that. Biking gloves. (the fingerless ones with the suede padding). Wished I would have a them. I would have used them. By the end of the first day of riding around the island, I had developed blisters on my hands that bled and were rather painful. These could have been avoided with biking gloves. Just my 2 cents...

ok, I know what someone will say..."It's 90 + degrees and you want me to wear gloves???" I ride a lot in the summer here at home and I don't ride without wearing gloves.

#409414 - 06/07/11 02:39 PM Re: bikes vs golf carts vs water taxis? [Re: lisanuevayork]
JZB Offline
Hi Lisa, all good advice. Depending on how south you are staying, there is a stretch of road that does not have street lights so bikes at night would not be recommmended. Taxi's and golf carts are the way to go when it is dark. Water taxi's do not have the south end on their schedule.

#409447 - 06/07/11 05:23 PM Re: bikes vs golf carts vs water taxis? [Re: lisanuevayork]
Dawghed Offline
The 2 of us always rent bikes for the week+ we are in SP. (Usually we rent a cart for just a day.) My only suggestion is to bring handlebar clip on bike lights. Even if you dont plan on riding after dark you might be forced to if a rain storm happens and you wait it out before riding home. The clip on lights might come in handy too in case of a power outage.

#410124 - 06/18/11 08:56 PM Re: bikes vs golf carts vs water taxis? [Re: lisanuevayork]
lisanuevayork Offline
Thank you everyone-having trouble logging in here so wasn't able to express my gratitude earlier.

I think the house is pretty far south so a combination sounds like the way to go.

#410135 - 06/19/11 01:02 AM Re: bikes vs golf carts vs water taxis? [Re: lisanuevayork]
sunrisesky Offline
I believe that you can call Coastal Xpress and they will pick up South end. My friend who lives about 3miles south uses them. Good to know maybe for occasional use.

#410146 - 06/19/11 01:34 PM Re: bikes vs golf carts vs water taxis? [Re: lisanuevayork]
TravelinMan1 Offline
Coastal Express does not come south as part of the regular schedule. Water taxi is not really a viable option at this time because of cost and timing. A taxi ride 3 miles south will cost you about $20BZD from town.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,060 Topics
462,316 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.