Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#409503 - 06/08/11 02:47 PM Elrington says prevention is key to regional crime
Marty Offline

Wilfred “Sedi” Elrington

While the ideas coming from the general assembly emphasize the need for strengthened law enforcement entities, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Wilfred “Sedi” Elrington, says that might not be the best route for Belize. According to Elrington, the focus should be on preventing the youths from turning to crime, rather than reacting when the deed is done.

Wilfred “Sedi” Elrington, Minister of Foreign Affairs

“What is being suggested is strengthen the police, strengthen the military, more cooperation with Interpol and the international organizations that are dealing with it. I personally don’t know if I like that particular approach. I think the monies should really be spent in providing proper schools and strengthening cooperatives and credit unions and other financial institutions where people can go and get monies and start a business or pay for the education of their children. I think the funds have got to be spent on educating the individual. I don’t like the idea that we are spending so much money on the prisons because the returns from that is minimal if at all whereas if we were to use the same money that we are spending to support the prison and we put that in our educational system; enhance it, supervise it properly and train the kids, prevent them from reaching the prison, prevent them from becoming delinquent and ensuring that they become productive citizens, I think we would be way ahead of the game. I don’t think you can ever succeed if you seek to impose corrective measures after the person has gone delinquent. I believe in the good old adage that prevention is better than cure and I think that we need to focus on that in Belize.”

We’ll have much more on the OAS on Open Your Eyes on Wednesday morning.

Channel 5

#409540 - 06/08/11 07:12 PM Re: Elrington says prevention is key to regional crime [Re: Marty]
Mike Campbell Offline
Mr. Elrington is 100% correct. We must make education a national priority as it is the only solution for our problems both in the arena of crime control and economic development. High school education must be mandatory and free for all.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,029 Topics
462,231 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.