Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Shasta Darlington is CNN's International Correspondent in Havana. Born in Boulder, Colorado, she has lived in Cuba for five-and-a-half years. Because of U.S. travel restrictions, very few American tourists make it to Cuba -- but for those that do and visitors from other countries, Shasta shares her tips for the Cuban capital.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

The best place to people-watch is the Malecon, Havana's sea wall, according to CNN correspondent, Shasta Darlington

Drinking a Cuban mojito cocktail is a must for visitors, she says

Since restrictions on businesses were relaxed in 2010, many local restaurants have sprung up, spurring a revival in the Havana food scene

Click here for the story and lotsa killer pictures

I need a clarification, can us citizens visit cuba without problems?
I would like to take a US citizen to visit for a vacation.
Would she be in trouble with the US passport in Cuba?

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Not legally, but who cares about legalities with respect to this tiny thorn.

At one time in the not too distant past, Cuban immigration would stamp a little card and place it in the passport where it could be removed by the traveler after their departure. Ergo, no evidence. Prior to that, the official stamp was non-descript and changed frequently, alwasy being placed on pg 7.

I also know people who simply asked that their passport not be stamped, accompanied by a smile and few Yanquis.

Obviously all the above lso requires a little white lie upon re-entry into the US when queried as to what countries one visited. wink

I'm curious as well as to Marty's experiecne when he was there not too long ago.

I have not kept on this next item in the past couple of years, but even though the law exists (and, by the way, the law does not prohibit travel - merely the spending of money) at that time, no one had ever been prosecuted or successfully fined for trangression.

I personally know of one situation where a traveler was "caught", thank you very much Canadian airline manifests :), and the traveler received a letter from Treasury citing him for illegal travel and a fine of $10k. He asked to have an appeal and the entire thing went away. There was NO procedure in place for hearing an appeal, despite a provision stating one could be requested.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
E
E
I went with Casey (maybe) see if you can prove it smile

OMG Casey in Cuba! I bet that was fun.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.