Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Don't be sorry -- I don't live with the consequences...you do! I'm just a gringo liking what I see 1 week of the year when I visit smile

I hate others who presume to know what's best for Belize, sitting at their desk in the states.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
I think the biggest issue is that with the vendors being helter all over the beach, there was no control. No one checks to see that these people are in the country legally. No one checks to see if they have trade licenses. I am in agreement with some sort of artisan area where they can rent space, obtain immigration status legally, pay for a business license, and pay taxes like everyone else.

The biggest thing I noticed about the article was when the woman said "it would take a month to get a trade license", and "how would I feed my family in the meantime"? Not direct quotes, but the basic idea is the same.... THAT MEANS THAT SHE DOES NOT CURRENTLY HAVE A LICENSE. Period. End of story.

Does anyone know if there are any checks on all the booths that sell BBQ on the weekends at the park? Do they have licenses? Do they pay taxes? I'm guessing not.

It should just be an even playing field for everyone. I haven't looked at the old barge dock lately in front of Big Daddy's, but that might be a place to start. Let immigration check their status before they are allowed to rent space and prove that they have a business license.

I love the charm of the vendors on the beach... for the most part, but there are a few, (many with tiny children) who will have their kids out of school for the sake of selling a few bracelets to tourists. Not a good global child labor law issue, as Diane mentioned.

Change your Latitude
mawags, I'm surprised that you have NEVER been harassed or approached. As a frequent visitor, I can't make it a block down the beach without being approached or encouraged to engage in convo with vendors, at least 3-4 times. Often this is quite tedious. I'm rarely approached for drug sales, or anything nefarious. The Guatemalans that sell the beautiful blankets and hangings, approach me 4-10 times a day, right in front of my hotel. They do not have an aggressive approach, but it does become tiresome saying, "no, gracias" over and over and over and over again. The same with the children selling anklets, bracelets, etc. I want to see them in school, not aggressively selling, so that their parents can drink . . or whatever is going on there. I've been having dinner and seen children so tired and hungry looking, whilst trying to sell me a bracelet, that I actually attempted to feed them. They refused, but I gave each of them some money and told them it was only for them and they could spend it on themselves to buy some food. Of course, it is not my intention to turn them into beggars either, but it was the worst I'd seen and just didn't know what else to do. Where were their caring parents, that want to ensure that they are "sent to school"?

All that said, I really enjoy taking a walk along Front Street by the park, and looking at the wares on the tables, at my leisure, at my pleasure.

As some of the others have mentioned, in my journeys, I always seek out the Artisans markets and shops.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Why not install booths all around the perimiter of the park and rent them out - at a very reasonable price - to vendors who are licensed? I would encourage the gift shops to rent booths and display samplings of their wares and have hand outs telling where their shop is located.
I would like to see the vendors moved back at least five feet from the street so that their lookie-loos don't block traffic.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
TOURISM MINISTER RESPONDS TO SAN PEDRO TOWN COUNCIL'S REMOVAL OF BEACH
VENDORS

Jorge Aldana reporting....

"The San Pedro Town Council gave the beach side artisan one week to move
off the beach and find another location to sell their products. That
deadline expired on Wednesday and the artisans called on the relevant
authorities to address their concern. According to the artisans, should
they be removed, they have no other place to sell their carvings. According
to Area Representative and Minister of Tourism, Civil Aviation and Culture,
Manuel Heredia Jr. he will be looking into the situation. 

Manuel Heredia Jr. - Area Representative, Minister of Tourism

"Well I would have to discuss that one with the Mayor because this is a
surprise to me.  I know that we had intentions to move them at an
appropriate time to where we would have the boardwalk project with the
international water taxi terminal, when that was completed it was our
intention to relocate those vendors over there.  I do not know if
there is something else going on like them not having a trade
licence.  I would have to meet with Mayor. I will look at the
situation and if it is valid reason I will have to go with the Mayor
because I don't think the Mayor will do anything that will take away the
bread and butter from people.  Every time we see a greater influx of
people moving at the beach, in the park.  We had said that we would
have limited to the number that we had when we decided to leave them here
do if there has been an increase, probably it is just the new ones that do
not have a licence or new comers.  I would be surprised that the Mayor
would move all of them completely."

As we noted earlier this week, there are about 30 beach craft vendors and
carvers and all were informed that they must move off the beach. The
Minister was scheduled to meet the Mayor Elsa Paz yesterday and so far,
there has been no indication as to what was the outcome of the meeting.

Story at http://www.lovefm.com/ndisplay.php?nid=14117

Pffffftttt

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

It would have been lovely if those business owners who have such concerns for the welfare of the vendors' children had found a way to help those kids rather than put their families out of business. As for the toilet facilities. Why couldn't business owners get together and provide one. Most of the vendors barely survive on the pittance they make and they work very hard. I suspect we may well see an increase in crime and begging among children.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

N
N
Why not charge a minimal fee to have the street vendors in the park until a certain hour. Children out selling after 9pm should have their parents pulled in and charged. It is WRONG for a little girl/boy to be walking around drunk men at night. period. Also OPEN THE BATHROOM IN THE PARK!!!!!! Charge a $1 for use to pay for an attendant *hey another job in San Pedro*
We (wahoo's) get an insane amount of people needing to use the facilities? Why should I have to provide a bathroom/paper/soap/WATER!!!!! for these people? They use their kids as a way to your heart. OR they relieve themselves on the sides of buildings. OPEN THE BATHROOM IN THE PARK, CHARGE A SMALL FEE FOR SELLING THERE AND PROBLEM SOLVED. The park is a great place for vendors - what do you want it to be a beautiful golf cart parking lot? Parking lot at the back, cute vendor booths at the front.....Curfew for children! It isn't really that complicated!
If they mayor refuses to meet regarding the issue pass it on to the PM. What else can you do?

Noele McLain
Go Yoga, travelling to you and with you.
501 670 6008
S
S
This situation is really not up to private businesses to resolve. Most businesses hold leases and have their own challenges (including vendors harassing their customers). The Town Council needs to simply stop ignoring this issue. In addition, these guys need to be checked for immigration status and licensing (I believe that it is dramatically discounted for street vendors). A few bad ones certainly should not be allowed to reflect poorly on the group!

That being said, children begging / being forced to work (human trafficking included) is another topic entirely and one that is MUCH more critical than moving vendors around. One that will require both governmental and community cooperation to address. We all know it goes on, but is it a crime? How / where do we report? Are children even required to attend school?

I believe that all local community issues are in part a responsibility of the businesses who make money from those who live here. Children are required to attend school but there are not enough school places available for all primary children in San Pedro. Again, I strongly believe that local business leaders and anyone making a profit in Belize should be actively participating in finding solutions, not complaining and possibly contributing to the problem as a result. The people who vend will not just disappear. They will have to get a source of income somehow and that might just lead to further child exploitation and other illegal activities if they can find no other alternatives. As the old saying goes 'If you're not part of the solution - you're part of the problem'.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 289 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.