Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#41122 - 06/21/01 07:50 PM sun diver beach resort.......awesome!!!!
thefancy Offline
Hubby and I just returned from a week at the Sun Diver resort, which is located on the north side of AC. I went into the experience site unseen, but was SO GLAD I picked this resort!! The owners could not do enough for us. The food was excellent. The rates were incredible....we did the summer special where the room (huge with A/C, kitchen, tv, living room, bathroom, etc) came with breakfast and three tours. An all day private fishing tour, lunch and drinks included, a tour to laminae with lunch and drinks, and a catamaran snorkeling/island hopping tour that included snorkeling at Shark Alley where you swim with the nurse sharks and the stingrays...that was an incredible experience.

We were so glad we stayed on the north end of the island because we were looking for a quiet romantic pace. The town has a lot of partying and the beaches really are not very good. They drive on part of the beaches there and there is a lot of boat traffic in the water. The town is kind of dirty...the wind was up and the non paved roads were blowing.... A great part of the town is under construction due to hurricanes Keith and Mitch.

One warning....if you are planning to go to the island, ask if your hotel is under construction....most of them are and it is quite inconveniencing. Sundiver closed until they finished their reconstruction...

All in all, it was incredibly relaxing, and romantic, private but with the capability of partying all you want.....

#41123 - 06/21/01 10:44 PM Re: sun diver beach resort.......awesome!!!!
KC Offline
So glad you had a good time! And I am happy to hear someone state the good things about staying North of SP. Sun Diver is our neighbor, and we really love the seclusion and peace of being out of town. I do understand why "the younger set" (young being a relative term) loves to stay in town and party, but my objective on vacation (at this point in my life) is peace and quiet 90% of the time. For that other 10% I can catch a boat to town. Sounds like you had a great experience on the island!

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."

#41124 - 06/21/01 10:47 PM Re: sun diver beach resort.......awesome!!!!
Turnbun Offline
I'm so happy to hear you had a great time! I'm just about to pop I'm so excited about getting there. I'm getting married at the SunDiver (and my future husband and all of our guests are staying there) on Sept. 2. I'm counting the seconds until we leave. The SunDiver hasn't gotten much press on the board - I guess since it's rather new and under new management, so I'm glad it's getting some good press now. Two months and 8 days.....
If you have any ideas for a wedding there since you've seen the property in person, let me know!

#41125 - 06/22/01 02:01 AM Re: sun diver beach resort.......awesome!!!!
KC Offline
Turnbun -- I'll be there (on AC) in 10 days. I'm sure I'll mosey on up to the SunDiver for a little refreshment now and then. Can I do anything for you while I'm there? Scope it out? Take pictures? Ask questions?

I know how excited you must be! I can hardly believe that "my time" is almost here, and I know you have the days marked off on your calendar, right?

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."

#41126 - 06/22/01 03:20 PM Re: sun diver beach resort.......awesome!!!!
McCool Offline
Thanks so much for the SunDiver info!
My boyfriend & I are there (sight unseen!) for 10 days starting July 5th.
I would love to get more details about the restaurant at SunDiver. How did the food compare to restaurants in San Pedro?
What was breakfast like? I have Celiac Disease & can't eat any grains...flour, pasta, wheat, oats, barley, etc, so that is my main concern. Tazmara seems very accomodating...
San Francisco

#41127 - 06/22/01 09:52 PM Re: sun diver beach resort.......awesome!!!!
KC Offline
McCool -- We'll be there at the same time, and I will be your neighbor. If you want to visit, walk south to Los Encantos, and give a holler up to villa #2. On the other hand, I'm sure I'll be visiting the restaurant at Sun Diver occasionally... who shall I ask for?

#41128 - 06/24/01 09:19 PM Re: sun diver beach resort.......awesome!!!!
jenniee Offline
This is Turnbun (I use a different name on my other computer b/c I keep forgetting my password). Thanks for the offer! I can't really think of anything major I need to do before the wedding (except continue to be patient). However, if you could take some pictures for me, that would be AWESOME! We're not sure if we'll get married on the beach or the pier. And a picture of the pool would be great, too. We are thinking about hiring some music and partying by the pool all night after the wedding. Any tips on making our wedding special there would be great. I don't think we'll make any final decisions til we get there, but it'll be nice to have lots of ideas floating in our little heads.
You're always such a great help on the board. I can't wait to hear how your trip went!

#41129 - 06/25/01 12:28 AM Re: sun diver beach resort.......awesome!!!!
KC Offline
Turnbun/jenniee -- Oh yes! I would be glad to take some pictures for you! And... my daughter who is going with me will probably have some wedding suggestions! She will graduate next June with a degree in business and she has *always* wanted to open a wedding shop! She has read wedding magazines since she was 10, (once I threw an old stack away and she nearly killed me) and has more ideas than you can imagine. (And she has excellent taste, I might add) This will be fun! I do have a digital camera, but I know *nothing* about how to post them to a webpage, etc. I'll probably just e-mail them to you, or I'll get your address later.

#41130 - 06/25/01 06:37 AM Re: sun diver beach resort.......awesome!!!!
epcot72 Offline
I've done a lot of traveling, and stayed at some of the most impressive hotels in the world (Southampton Princess in Bermuda, The Shelbourne in Dublin, the Cairo Marriot King's Palace in Cairo, etc), but I can honestly say that I have never had such a wonderful experience at a hotel/resort in my entire life as I have had at the Sundiver. For starters, it's small, so you never feel lost. However, don't let the size fool you. The rooms are air conditioned, they have a wonderful beach bar, they have one of the finest chefs in the entire world, and they have such an intricate network of people they work with. Whatever you want to do, in the entire country of Belize, they will be able to set it up for you. However, what really sets them apart are the people that work there. The owners, Kathryn and Tazmara are the nicest most approachable people you'd ever want to meet. Ross, Michael, Patricia, Roberto, Ugo, and the rest all make you feel so special, so pampered, so utterly taken care of. At one point, the NHL Stanley Cup semi-finals were going on, and some of us wanted to watch the game. They brought out a large color television to the beach bar, just so we could watch it. Try find that type of service at a normal hotel/resort. I will definitely tell everyone I know about Sundiver, and whenever I go back to Belize, it will be the only place I will stay. I just wish there were more of them around the world!!!

Dan D.
Live every day, and eat every meal, as though it were your last.

#41131 - 06/25/01 10:31 AM Re: sun diver beach resort.......awesome!!!!
Turnbun Offline
Hello, KC! You can e-mail me the pictures at jenniferthurman@hotmail.com. No rush, just whenever you get a chance. Your daughter's advice would be great! I'm terrible at planning stuff like this (hence, our decision to get married in Belize - low stress). Any suggestions will be welcome!
Have a great time on AC. I'm so jealous!
Thanks so much for your help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Safecracker, 1 invisible), 51 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,742 Topics
461,319 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.