Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#411291 - 07/06/11 03:27 PM Mosquitos on the island
Sunny Reef Offline
Hey guys, I know that mosquitos are not a very big issue on the island except for some parts very North of the island or in the back lagoon side of San Pedro. But I'm going to be in one of those "effected spots" and will have to find a way to avoid too many of them.
I remember that some years ago there must have been a guy on the island and he offered a treatment and permanent installation to keep bugs-free or mosquito-free. Does anyone know about this treatment.

Also - 5 and more years ago there was an option to buy little items to plug in and supply with one tablet per day - the brand was "Vape". Those were very good and worked even in open restaurants and kept these mosquito free. I don't see these Vape plugs anymore. Does anyone have an idea what's best for a long-term mosquito-free environment for house or restaurants? Thank you and :-)

#411293 - 07/06/11 03:50 PM Re: Mosquitos on the island [Re: Sunny Reef]
Diane Campbell Offline
Inside your house VAPE is a good thing. I have one operating in my office now, as I left the door open and allowed the critters in yesterday.

Am told that those "Off" personal battery-operated gizmos work.

Best advise to visitors is not to walk the beach at dawn and dusk wearing shorts, string bikinis.

#411301 - 07/06/11 05:53 PM Re: Mosquitos on the island [Re: Sunny Reef]
shuffles Offline
I am one of the 2% of the population who is a "mosquito magnet". Having tried everything imaginable, (even garlic, which, does not work for me for mosquitoes but seems to work to keep people away), I finally conceded that I have to cover myself in 100% deet every day before I go outside. In addition to being a magnet, I am also very allergic to the bites. I know the stuff is not good for your skin, but neither is the after affects of being bitten for me. I shower it off every night, but seriously, this is the only thing that works for me. They occasionally manage to bite me on the face, which is seriously attractive.

#411303 - 07/06/11 07:09 PM Re: Mosquitos on the island [Re: Diane Campbell]
Sunny Reef Offline
Originally Posted By: Diane Campbell
Inside your house VAPE is a good thing.

Yes, i know Diane, but I don't see Vape nowhere in the whole country.Superbuy used to have it and they don't have it anymore, Augusto Quan in Belize City don't have it anymore - any idea where to get it? Is it still available in Belize?

#411304 - 07/06/11 07:27 PM Re: Mosquitos on the island [Re: Sunny Reef]
Melinda79 Offline
I'll be about 4-5 miles North of San Pedro, right by the beach (at The Tree House). Are mosquitos bad there?

I bought some Off Deep Woods (25% DEET). It doesn't smell great but hopefully it works, I mostly got it for the trip to Lamanai. Maybe I should wear pants for that!

#411315 - 07/06/11 10:03 PM Re: Mosquitos on the island [Re: Sunny Reef]
champion Offline
If you're gonna use Deet, get the 100%. In comes in the small carry spray too.

#411317 - 07/06/11 10:46 PM Re: Mosquitos on the island [Re: Sunny Reef]
Diane Campbell Offline
Tree House should not be buggy. You are up in the air, right by the beach - that is about as good as it gets.
This past couple of days is unusual in that we got rain and the winds died - that is a recipe for bug hatches.

I have not purchased a VAPE set-up in a while but when I did, I got it at Island Super Market, across from the Belikin distributors. Will be on the lookout for more and if I find one will let you know.

#411322 - 07/07/11 03:25 AM Re: Mosquitos on the island [Re: Sunny Reef]
PROBUS Offline
We've been almost mosquito-free for months, but after the recent rains they're back. Nowhere near as bad as I've seen them before, but enough to make me break out the body spray.

Agreed they shouldn't be a problem up in the tree house. But they may still be a menace on the ground around.

I bought a VAPE at SuperBuy, but admittedly a couple of years ago.

#411338 - 07/07/11 01:29 PM Re: Mosquitos on the island [Re: PROBUS]
SnoopysMom Offline
Luckily, we haven't seen many this spring since it was so dry, but the skeets are back in full force! Any idea when the town will spray?

#411340 - 07/07/11 01:49 PM Re: Mosquitos on the island [Re: Sunny Reef]
JeanH Offline
I've read in several places that higher concentrations of Deet really don't repel any better, the effects just last longer.

I'm one who will go with the lowest concentration possible. Never had any problems just using the regular cans of Off, I don't even know what the percent is in them.

Here at home, I can get away with Skintastic, which is only 10% Deet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,015 Topics
462,195 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.