Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#411375 - 07/08/11 12:36 AM Tropic Air and Bags
Melinda79 Offline
I just read about bag restrictions on TropicAir and our management company had already booked flights. Can we back put of flights if we haven't paid? They said our luggage (due to size/weight) may incur extra charges and not be on the same flight we're on. That makes me nervous as we're staying 4.5 mi N of San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. What should we do at this point? Would a cheap water taxi be a better option? We leave Saturday morning... Any help would be appreciated!

#411377 - 07/08/11 12:48 AM Re: Tropic Air and Bags [Re: Melinda79]
azbob Offline
8 trips and I always fly Tropic and have never had or even heard of "excess baggage" charges. They have been wonderful. If your bags can't get on your flight because you have many, they will be on the next flight about 15 minutes later. Going and coming it has never been a problem and many of my friends have had some "EXCESS" coming in. Don't worry. They are a great company with the best customer service!! Best way to get to Ambergris Caye!!

#411380 - 07/08/11 01:11 AM Re: Tropic Air and Bags [Re: azbob]
Ernie B Offline
I concur.

#411381 - 07/08/11 01:17 AM Re: Tropic Air and Bags [Re: Melinda79]
Judyann H. Offline
We are excess bags at arrival people...Always well past the limits of US commercial airlines....In 8 years at about 4-6 trips a year we have always traveled Tropic Air....Never even questioned even with some of the odd shaped packages we have asked them to cargo over for us....some examples my Chihuahua, a hammer drill, supersized beautifully framed oil paintings, a few household odds & ends; if it gets through customs it gets through Tropic....

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com

#411385 - 07/08/11 03:06 AM Re: Tropic Air and Bags [Re: Judyann H.]
ron Offline
I've often brought 2 -50 lbs bags and a couple of large carryons and never was charged extra. I think the figure if the big guys will carry you there they'll get you the rest of the way.

#411402 - 07/08/11 01:35 PM Re: Tropic Air and Bags [Re: Melinda79]
Melinda79 Offline
Thank you - on their site it says 35 lbs limit and the American Airlines limit is 50lbs and I'm guessing our bags will lean towards the 50lbs mark with all the scuba gear, etc. Hopefully it all works out smile

#411405 - 07/08/11 01:56 PM Re: Tropic Air and Bags [Re: Melinda79]
BeBelize Offline
Originally Posted By: Melinda79
Thank you - on their site it says 35 lbs limit and the American Airlines limit is 50lbs and I'm guessing our bags will lean towards the 50lbs mark with all the scuba gear, etc. Hopefully it all works out smile

Melinda, you will be fine. We just got here via Tropic, and each had a bag weighing in at 47 lbs. in addition to a carry-on bag each (all four of those got checked), and a laptop bag, which my husband carried on. We didn't even know Tropic had that restriction. I am very glad we didn't as I would have lost sleep over it. They never even blinked at our bags, and they got on the same flight as us!

Have a great trip, and now you can sleep like a baby too. sleep

#411414 - 07/08/11 03:46 PM Re: Tropic Air and Bags [Re: Melinda79]
SeeShell Offline
During the busy season (March) I have had my bags arrive on the next flight or the flight after that - and we bring everything including computer gear, fishing gear, way too much clothes - everything and I have never had a problem with Tropic. Our friends had bright orange luggage and on the way home last year their bags were on a different flight. They were freaking out when their luggage was not at international. It arrived 10 minutes later and we were super early for check in any way - I just laughed - but they were soooo up set!

Dont worry about Tropic. This past March I had 4 large bags plus 2 carry ons - and no problem!

#411415 - 07/08/11 03:53 PM Re: Tropic Air and Bags [Re: Melinda79]
champion Offline
Both Tropic and Maya are more like local bus and taxi services rather than airlines as we know them. The locals who use them probably would'nt if it were run like a US Air Carrier.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (Jameela01, Marty, Ricklap, 1 invisible), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,068 Topics
462,330 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.