Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#411527 - 07/10/11 04:14 PM iPhone in Belize?
MMM Offline
Looking to use iPhone 4 while in Belize. I'm not the most technologically savvy when it comes to this phone. Anyone had issues getting a micro sim card from a carrier in Belize? Also, I assume as long as I have wireless Internet access that my FaceTime chat will work? Any help would be much appreciated!

#411534 - 07/10/11 07:43 PM Re: iPhone in Belize? [Re: MMM]
filmmaker ben Offline
You'll need to jailbreak and unlock your phone (unless your phone is factory unlocked), and then buy a Digicell SIM and trim it down to the size of a micro SIM.

#411535 - 07/10/11 08:42 PM Re: iPhone in Belize? [Re: MMM]
Bear Offline
What do you plan on using it for? Honestly it may be more economical for you to simpy buy a very inexpensive GSM 1900 phone like a Nokia 1621 and buy a BTL sim + time for your stay.

Long distance calls from Belize to the States are less expnsive than using your own iPhone (unless you do somehow crack it). You do NOT want your data turned on while youre in Belize in fact you want data roaming turned off so you dont lose you shirt on your return.

We used our iP4 for txts at about 25 cents per txt. I have one of the Nokia's I spoke of and it serves me well for trips all over the world, I just need to get a local sim for it. Which is no big deal. I keep my Belize SIM "hot" or active by hitting the # with a txt about every other month so I dont lose my local # when i return "home".

I would double check with your carrier about the facetime chat, I've never been really sure whether that is a phone feature or data feature.

Edited by Ak' (07/10/11 08:44 PM)

#411536 - 07/10/11 09:00 PM Re: iPhone in Belize? [Re: MMM]
Fishmonger Offline
You can trim any SIM cards to fit the iPhone4, there is a gadget that does that. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_9_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sim+trimmer&sprefix=sim+trimmer
Get a local SIM and trim it. Your iPhone4 must of course be unlocked.
For face time you need data service.

Edited by Fishmonger (07/10/11 09:01 PM)

#411537 - 07/10/11 09:13 PM Re: iPhone in Belize? [Re: MMM]
changosgal Offline
http://www.quicksilverbz.com/ most economical way to go.

#411539 - 07/10/11 09:37 PM Re: iPhone in Belize? [Re: MMM]
gecko_girl Offline
And remember WIFI is not as "free" as it is in the US. A lot of cafes/bars offer it if you are a paying customer, and some of the bigger hotels. But the speed will likely be low for video chat. I agree that a rented phone or an unlocked phone with local SIM is a good way to go for regular phone contact, but if you really need video chat WIFI/3G is not going to cut it in Belize.

#411551 - 07/11/11 09:37 AM Re: iPhone in Belize? [Re: gecko_girl]
Bear Offline
Originally Posted By: gecko_girl
And remember WIFI is not as "free" as it is in the US. A lot of cafes/bars offer it if you are a paying customer, and some of the bigger hotels. But the speed will likely be low for video chat. I agree that a rented phone or an unlocked phone with local SIM is a good way to go for regular phone contact, but if you really need video chat WIFI/3G is not going to cut it in Belize.

Thanks for the tag team GG;

MMM my bad the Nokia I spoke of is the 1661. As I said they are nothing special they do allow SMS & they work just fine. They get a lower reviews due to people wanting more on a cell. But all will admit they work fine as your basic unlocked GSM travel phone. New 39US on Amazon, theyre less at WalMart WalMart Nokia 1661

If you want to go the unlock, trim the sim, route (hassle IMHO) it will work but I prefer not to monkey with my main cell when for less than $50 US your up and running with a local phone #

If you do use the alterante route, I would be very cautious about the data rate aspects of your phone. Foreign data rates from AT&T for example are like fifty cents per Kb, yes I said Kb.

Belize does not offer reciprocal rates like many other countries do so long disatnce rates stay high if you use your own domestic provider. Just another reason I prefer the local phone. 60 cents per minut to the US vs like 3 dollars /minute. Check with your provider. Also they may actually give you an unlock code if you ask and explain you are traveling abroad. Maybe, maybe not.

Your other option as Changosgal offers is to rent locally, but I think those run like 10US per day. Ask, I'm not sure of current rates.

Edited by Ak' (07/11/11 09:44 AM)

#411562 - 07/11/11 12:43 PM Re: iPhone in Belize? [Re: MMM]
PROBUS Offline
If I were you I'd buy either a local Digicell SIM card and use it in your iPhone (trimmed as necessary), or buy a cheap "Smart" phone (CDMA) which will be the cheapest to use in Belize.

I recently read of people who took their smart phones to Europe on holiday from Britain and left data roaming on. When they got back they found they had bills for several times the entire cost of their holiday (many thousands of pounds). They took the UK service provider to Court and it was ruled that they had to pay. I STRONGLY recommend you turn off all services on your phone if you intend to bring the SIM card to Belize, and DO NOT use the card except when in your home country.

#411599 - 07/11/11 08:10 PM Re: iPhone in Belize? [Re: PROBUS]
changosgal Offline
Rates on the Go Phones are $10bz per day. If you rent 3 or more days you get $10bz phone min. free.

#411624 - 07/12/11 09:49 AM Re: iPhone in Belize? [Re: MMM]
hazzyy Offline
If you are only coming for a visit it's going to cost minimum $50USD for one of the phone stores to unlock your phone. At least that is what I charge the store and then they will upcharge you on their end to make a few bucks. Chances on that unless you have a factory unlocked iPhone4 then your phone is probably not unlockable. Only the first batch of iPhone4's are unlockable. On the phone go to Settings, then General, then About. Scroll down and if it says anything other than 01.59.00 then you can't be unlocked. Only 1.59.00 is unlockable with a software unlock and if you have ever updated the iPhone4 it's not on that software.

I'd follow the advice of the others and just get a second cheap phone and leave the iPhone4 at home or keep it off while you're here. If the phone is even just powered on and you receive a voicemail you will incur extra charges on your bill.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Daily
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
More News...
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Facebook
SanPedroScoop

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
Belize Adventure
Romantic Travel
Building a New Life
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Snorkel from the beach at Tranquility Bay Resort - Belize Snorkeling - Belize Dive Resort
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Black Orchid Restaurant & Lounge, Our mission is To Provide each and every Guest with a Pleasant Dining Experienceg
Mini Chat

Low Air Fares
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!

Please support first step to natural tourism in Arenal Village, Cayo on Indiegogo campaign
Please support first step to natural tourism in Arenal Village, Cayo on Indiegogo campaign
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Who's Online
4 registered (bird99, Marty, 2 invisible), 74 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
17093 Members
44 Forums
56001 Topics
438033 Posts

Max Online: 1262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.