BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
OP Offline
T
hi everyone...it is with great sadness and distress that i post this, but i think it is important for people to know.

my close friend was visiting me from the States this past week and she had been here for 3 days when she was attacked on the beach Saturday evening. she is 42 years old, blonde, fit and a bit over 6 feet tall. she was walking alone from Tropical Paradise to her cabin down south around 8:30pm. when she was passing Sea Beezzz (or thereabouts), a man came behind her out of nowhere and put her in a chokehold and brought her to the ground. she screamed but no one came. he said he would kill her if she didn't stop screaming and asked where her money was. she told him to take her bag. when he didn't do it and instead started strangling her again and trying to drag her toward the water, she realized it was not just a mugging and started fighting hard. she squirmed out of his grasp and, from the ground, started kicking and flailing and screaming. he tried to restrain her again but couldn't. he ran off and she ran back to Tropical Paradise and contacted the police.

she has minor physical injuries, such as two black eyes, a sprained finger and a sore and bruised neck. she is traumatized but will be okay at some point. she went home the next day, shortening her trip by 3 days.

the police believe they have a strong suspect, someone who lives on the island and has been convicted of sexual assault in the past. here is the description my friend provided the police:

Stocky, but not heavy, Hispanic male, aged between 20-40. He had short black hair that seemed to be styled with gel. He did not have facial hair, tattoos, or any notable features that she could see in the brief time she saw his face. He had on baggy red athletic shorts that hung to the knee. She thinks she saw a black tank top with some sort of circular logo or lettering (in white?) on the front. It is hard to say how tall he is but she believes from the angle of attack that he is shorter than her. Perhaps around 5 feet 10 inches or so.

we have got to do something about the safety here on the island! there are no lights on the beach and the police don't patrol it, even though there is constant thievery to the properties on the beach. now grown, sober women are getting physically attacked at 8:30 in the evening?! i think we need to come together as a community and do something ourselves...

sara

ps...the police have appeared to take this attack seriously and have been investigating it. they have someone in custody.

Very sorry to hear about this attack. I hope that they catch the perpetrator and lock him up.

Citizens on Patrol groups can be helpful when you have a small police contingent. The community policing department can assist in helping organize such a group in conjunction with the police department.

Good they have somebody in custody - let's hope it is the perp, and that he is convicted, sentenced and removed from the island.

I truly hope your friend has a complete recovery from this attack--both physically and emotionally. I can assure you, both will take time, but will happen.

I will say a prayer for your friend's complete recovery.

Last edited by tortuga.chica; 07/11/11 03:52 PM.

A hug is the shortest distance between friends. ~ Author Unknown
T
OP Offline
T
thanks turtle girl...

Tommy Egan
Barrier Reef Sports Bar & Grill
Caye Caulker, Belize
501-226-0077
Sorry I was remiss in wishing that your friend recover quickly also. I hope that she will be able to overcome this awful episode in her life.

T
OP Offline
T
no you weren't remiss but thanks Amanda and all for your kind thoughts...

i hope this guy is removed from the island and that we can somehow make some positive changes toward safety here.

Tommy Egan
Caye Caulker, Belize
501-226-0077
That sounds so similar to an attack on an acquaintance of mine, that took place about 2 years ago in front of Ramon's, on San Pedro. Approx. same time of evening, also relatively fit sober woman walking alone. As she explained it to me, she was grabbed from behind around her neck and asked for her money. She struggled to give him her purse which was slung across her, but he just continued to drag her into the water until they were around knee deep. She says she doesn't know what then happened because suddenly he let go and ran away. Don't recall if she knew any details about how he looked. She was pretty shaken up, but don't think anything worse than the bruising from being strangled from behind and dragged. This happened within a day or two of my wallet being snatched from me on the beach at around 8 pm. The scenario for me was different, as I was approached from the front, as if by someone who knew me . . .though I didn't recognize him and he was gone in a flash with da cash. He didn't get much from me, but darn, I loved that wallet. And heck, it really shakes a person up and the experience tainted my pleasure and changed my habits. Frankly, one shouldn't have to be concerned about walking in town, on the beach at that time of day. Something must be done on both islands.

OK, let this post get away from me. Sorry about that. All I meant to say was that the MO is so similar between what happened on Caye Caulker and what happened to my friend, that one would wonder if it's the same guy?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

B
B
Although I do not live on the island, I plan to in the near future. I think a Citizens on Patrol group is a great idea. It usually discourages people from doing wrong if they know others are watching besides the police who can't be everywhere at once.

Just my 2 cents.

T
OP Offline
T
seashell: frighteningly similar! i wonder too if this guy has been operating for a couple of years. hate to think there is more than one with that MO.

Tommy Egan
Caye Caulker, Belize
501-226-0077
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 294 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day