Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#411723 - 07/14/11 05:16 AM Special Olympians Return Home In Triumph
Short Offline
Special Olympians Return Home In Triumph

Belize's Special Olympics 5-a-side football team returned today from Athens Greece triumphantly. In their first time at the games, the team won the bronze medal at the Special Olympics World Summer Games.

It's the first time Special Olympics Belize participated in an international 5-a-side football competition and was among nearly seven thousand athletes from one hundred and eighty countries. After three weeks in Europe, the team returned maybe a bit jet-lagged and road weary, but nonetheless exuberant.

Andrew Aspinall, head coach

"Today started about two and a half years ago. Myself and Coach Raymond was sent to Barbados on a FIFA coach to coach course. When we came back we started coach for Special Olympics. We train about 40 coaches over two and a half years. we got a grant from the special Olympics and bought all the equipment. Within the districts we sent coaches to find these players - these talented players. Over the two years we had inter-district competitions, we had inter-regional competitions, we had national training, we had national training camp with regular teams and so we've done a lot of training to get to where we are now and the 8 young men you see before you are the best of the best within special Olympics and they are proud."

Clayton Fitzgibbon, team player
"Our most challenging part of the game was we was down 2-0 in nearly every game and our coach would tell us to go and touch our flag over there and come back to remember the people back in Belize and it was really challenging and our most goal scorer Darrel Lambey scored nearly all of our goals and then Ernest then Sidney. We all work as a team together."

Alan Auil, Chairman - Special Olympics
"Yes actually what special Olympics does indeed is we try to provide sporting opportunities, exercise and competitions for all persons with intellectual disability and by putting these guys on the spotlight the entire community like what we have here - everybody can come out and see how wonderful these boys are and the type of abilities that they have and how everybody is one community. We all form this one community and we are a part and we want to continue with our fight for the rights and the dignity and acceptance for all persons with intellectual disability."

The 5-a-side football team included Sidney Rhaburn, Darroll Lambey, Benny Baiza, Jerrilee Valenine, Filadelfo Barrientos, Ernest Lambey, Clayton Fitzgibbon, and Zabdi Cobb. Over one hundred and fifty athletes countrywide tried out for the team.

http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=20096&frmsrch=1

#411724 - 07/14/11 05:17 AM Re: Special Olympians Return Home In Triumph [Re: Short]
Short Offline
SPECIAL OLYMPICS ATHLETES HONORED
July 13, 2011

Belize’s Special Olympics football team returned home yesterday. They were honored at a special ceremony hosted by special envoy for women and children Kim Simpliss Barrow. This morning the bronze medalists were further acknowledged at a ceremony in Punta Gorda.

Paul Mahung reporting…
“During the ceremony at the Punta Gorda Central Park, opening prayer was said by Punta Gorda Methodist School principal Florence Ramclam and welcome address by Special Olympics Punta Gorda committee chairlady Olive Woodeye. Guest speaker was Punta Gorda Mayor Floyd G. Lino. Official introduction of members of Special Olympics team Belize and bronze medalists was done by Special Olympics Punta Gorda Committee secretary Francisco Cal who explained that five of the eight players namely Ernest Lambey, Filadelfo Barrientos, Darol Lambey, Clayton Fitzgibbon and Denny Baizer were from Punta Gorda while Jerry Lee Valentine was from Dangriga, Sydney Rhaburn from Orange Walk and Zebedee Coc from Corozal. After the vote of thanks was given by a parent, Celis Lambey, a motorcade was held through the main streets of town and thereafter a lunch in honor of members of the Special Olympics team Belize. The welcome home and recognition ceremony was organized by members of the Special Olympics Committee P. G. branch with support from the Ministry of Education Toledo.”

http://www.lovefm.com/ndisplay.php?nid=14284

#411904 - 07/16/11 06:21 AM Re: Special Olympians Return Home In Triumph [Re: Short]
Short Offline
Track and Field athletes bring home plenty medals

Belizean athletes have been performing top notch in the international arena; most recently in Special Olympics Games, World Cup Qualifiers, Karate and the under seventeen COCABA tournament. Well, today we can add athletics to that list because a group has returned from competitions in Costa Rica and El Salvador with over twenty medals. Two of those athletes, Kaina Martinez and Tricia Flores, were guests on our morning show along with the Chief of Mission, Deon Sutherland and Harrison Pilgrim from the Belize Amateur Athletics Association. According to Sutherland, Belizean athletes are well respected in Central America, with both Martinez and Flores, holding records in different disciplines. Sutherland says our athletes are gaining respect among Caribbean countries. He told us more about the competitions while Martinez and Flores spoke about their wins.

Kaina Martinez, Athlete

“As you can see, I have three gold medals; actually I had four—I gave one to my coach for appreciation for a job well done with me. One is for the two hundred meters sprint; the other is the two hundred meters in one by four which is the relay. And the fourth one was for MVP of the game.”

Tricia Flores, Athlete
“This first one, gold for long jump; this one if for the four by one hundred meters relay, the bronze if for the four by four hundred meters relay and the silver is for triple jump.”

Deon Sutherland, Member, Belize Amateur Athletic Assn.
“The third week of June we had the junior competition in Salvador. We took about thirty-six junior athletes ranging from age sixteen to nineteen. We brought back an impressive eleven medals, which included two gold, four silver and five bronze. Quite a number of our athletes really excelled. As a matter of fact it has been years since we medaled so well in the junior category and that gave us a whole new outlook on the future of our athletes and athletics in Belize because if we have that core of athletes to work with in that age, then couple years down the road we can only see them becoming much better so we’re grateful for that. The week after that we had the senior competition which was in Costa Rica and we brought an impressive, I think it was thirteen medals. So both events we had over twenty medals.”

Tricia Flores
“I just go into it ready and one thing with me whenever I go into competitions, my thing is I want to win. That’s just my mind set. I want to win so I just go into it looking forward or getting ready to just win.”

Kaina Martinez
“For me, like Tricia said it’s all about going out there, represent myself and my country well and doing that is to go out there and win.”

Other athletes who brought back medals were Gloria Serano, Novian Middleton, Kenneth Bracket, Gorelee Marin, Sharnelle Enriquez and Kay-de Vaughn.

Nwews 5 Belize

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (JaHo, joekerland, 1 invisible), 46 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,026 Topics
462,221 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.