Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#411902 - 07/16/11 12:52 AM Film Festival July 2011
Short Offline
July 15, 2011

The annual Belize Film Festival starts today. One of the highlights of the weekend activity is the district screening of the film “the road to Damascus” tonight in Dangriga. Organizers say this year’s Film Festival is the biggest yet, featuring 16 films. They include music videos and short films. The opening feature film is Road to Damascus, directed by Ross Jordan and Sid Burston. Other films that will be featured in this year’s Festival come from Barbados, Peru, the United Sates and Kenya among others. The 2011 Belize Film Festival ends on Tuesday.

Live and let live

#411931 - 07/16/11 02:04 PM Re: Film Festival July 2011 [Re: Short]
SanPWeb Offline
The Belize Film Festival caravan arrives complete with red carpet to San Pedro Town today.

Film screening of a Handful of Dirt will be taking place. Check out the screen:

Open air, beach screening. More info here:

Tickets are available at Island Gear ... call Chito at (610) GEAR.

#411934 - 07/16/11 02:43 PM Re: Film Festival July 2011 [Re: Short]
ColdwellBankerSP Offline
Chris Burkey
Coldwell Banker San Pedro

#411937 - 07/16/11 04:17 PM Re: Film Festival July 2011 [Re: Short]
SanPWeb Offline
Director Russel Watson of A Handful of Dirt has arrived on the island. Belize International Film Festival representative Javier Molina send the following invite:

#411950 - 07/16/11 06:29 PM Re: Film Festival July 2011 [Re: Short]
PROBUS Offline
Hmmm. Kama "Lounge". $75. Hmmm. Who's this aimed at?

#412054 - 07/19/11 08:36 AM Re: Film Festival July 2011 [Re: Short]
Marty Offline

Belize International Film Festival 2011; meet the movie makers, directors & producers

The Belize International Film Festival has grown significantly in its six years of existence with the addition of workshops, the big red carpet gala on opening night and this year, the Belize comedy tour. But the movies, documentaries and film making on a whole remain at the heart of it all. And while the actors are the faces we remember, it is important to acknowledge the writers, producers, directors, videographers and everyone else that works behind the scenes to make it to the big screen. News Five’s Delahnie Bain met some of the filmmakers today at the House of culture.

Delahnie Bain, Reporting

The weekend provided movie lovers with a chance to watch breakout actors in several continents at the Belize International Film Festival 2011. But today the Belize Audio Visual Industry Association (BAVIA) put the movie makers, directors and producers in front of the camera. The filmmakers attending the festival gave some insight into their pieces.

Russel Watson

Russel Watson, Filmmaker, A Hand Full of Dirt

“My film is called A Hand Full of Dirt. It is a family drama that looks at three generations in a family and a conflict that they have over the family’s land and how that conflict actually tears apart the relationship in the family.”

Estrella Hendrickson, Filmmaker, 3 Ladies from an Island

“My film is a documentary, a short documentary about the struggle and hope and looseness of women in an island, Cuba, and maybe of all parts of the world.”

Calvin Standifer

Calvin Standifer, Filmmaker, Catastrophic Magnitude

“I have a short documentary film on Haiti, post earthquake where I spent a total of sixty-two days in Haiti just documenting the lifestyle and the culture of the people.”

Ross Jordan, Filmmaker, Road to Damascus

“The Film is about a pastor who used to be an artist and he was given an offer to go back on the road and do music again. His wife doesn’t want him to because he was wilding out a bit when he was, so he decides to do it; there’s a little bit of scandal, flirtation, betrayal, things happened.”

Michael “Big Mike” Flores, Filmmaker, Amina the Powerful

Michael “Big Mike” Flores

“Our Movie, Amina the Powerful, takes a look at ourselves, takes a look at the Belizean man’s attitude towards the Belizean woman and a little bit of the Belizean woman’s attitude towards herself so to speak.”

Cristobal Krusen, Filmmaker, The Bill Collector

“The title, The Bill Collector is in a sense, a dublon ton. There are two bill collectors in movie; Danny Trejo being the other one who’s not very nice and the main character works as a bill collector. It turns out that he owes the Danny Trejo character a lot of money; he’s been hiding from him on the run.”

Cristobal Krusen

Of this year’s six filmmakers, Michael “Big Mike” Flores of Hopkins Village was the only one who has previous entries with this film festival, while Ross Jordan has significantly contributed to the local music industry.

Michael “Big Mike” Flores

“Belize Liberator Productions’ movie was selected last year for the Belize International Film Festival and mina the Powerful this year so that’s two movies, one a year for us. We’re hoping that next year—we’re working on a fast action karate movie called Chino’s Story. It will be featuring a young Mayan black belt fellow with Berne Velasquez as his co-star. It’s a challenge too. I’m hoping that every year we bring something different.”

Ross Jordan

Ross Jordan

“We’ve done over thirty DVDs for the Belizean community starring Supa G, Lloyd, Reckless, Aziatic, Maime, also Road to Damascus, Maime has a guest starring appearance in it and a lot of different artists; Chico Ramos. I’ve done work with Andy P.”

And while Belize’s film industry is still young, these experienced producers and directors are optimistic that the film festival on the right path.

Russel Watson

“I’m very enthusiastic about the progress. This is my first time at the festival but from what I understand about the progress that it has made so far and the kind of personalities that are here and the strategies that are being employed; I’m very enthusiastic about the future of this festival and participating in it.”

Ross Jordan

“I’m very honored that we were able to have the world premier here because Road to Damascus has eighty percent Belizean music in the film so to have a world premier here, it’s an honor and I wouldn’t want to do it any other way. And the LA premier can wait, the Chicago premier can wait.”

Cristobal Krusen

“For me, it is an honor to be here. I appreciate that you would show my film frankly and I really look forward to collaboration in the future.”

Estrella Hendrickson

“I really don’t know in this moment whether I’m Cuban or Belizean because coming to this festival for the first time, I have part of my heart in this festival.”

The filmmakers also offered their expert advice to persons interested in video production. And hopefully we’ll see the results in next year’s festival. Delahnie Bain for News Five.

The film festival continued this evening with the screening of Amina the Powerful.

Channel 5

#412560 - 07/27/11 09:49 AM Re: Film Festival July 2011 [Re: Short]
Marty Offline

Belize’s 6th international Film Festival better than ever

Minister Manuel Heredia says "Good show!"

Belize’s international film festival has grown from strength to strength and the sixth edition was a tour de force, offering 33 films, of which 17 were feature length, including one made in Belize, and 15 short films of which three were Belizean.

A comedy show featuring Damon Williams and Fazian Love on Thursday night had prefaced the opening night gala on Friday, at which Belizean audiences were treated to performances by Carlos Perrote and friends performing Perrote’s own brand of jazz from Cuba – “cugazz”. singer Nelita Castillo warmed the audiences hearts with “Masquerade, and Agustin Lara’s “Besame Mucho”, and budding talent Clive Myers swooned the audience with a voice like a young Lou Rawls. The Belize Dance Company also gave a scintillating performance before the Festival Director Suzette Zayden declared the festival open.

The Festival opened with a screening of Ross Jordan’s “Road 2 Damascus.” Set in the U.S., it explores what happens when a God-fearing pastor Paul (Sid Burston) is invited to relive his past career as a music star with a multi-million concert tour, but the change throws him in conflict with his wife Lola (Diane Sellers), who is Paul’s most important reason for living besides God. Other factors such as the associate pastor Dean Mayberry (Derek Shaun), and an old flame Peaches (Toyia Moore) challenge the stability of Paul’s life, and set the stage for Paul’s descent into hell.

The Festival also went nationwide with screenings in San Pedro Ambergris Caye, where they had a masquerade party on Saturday, as well as screenings in Orange Walk at the “Las Banquitas House of Culture and in Dangriga.

It was easy to see why Robert Girault Facha’s “The Student” was a box office hit in Mexico; it was a real charmer. It tells the story of a 70-year-old retiree “Chano” (Jorge Navat) who has moved to the picturesque town of Guanajuato with his wife Andrea, whom he calls his “sirenita” (little mermaid). He enrolls in the university and makes new friends among classmates 50 years his junior, by helping them grasp the life values embedded in Cervantes’ novel “Don Quixote de la Mancha.” These friends stand him in good stead when his wife dies.

Florence Jaguey’s “Yuma” from Nicaragua was another real charmer, about a street tough young women Yuma, who dreams of being a boxer, yet falls in love with Ernesto a journalism student from the other side of the city.

From Honduras came Matthew Kodath and Hernan Pereira’s “Love and Beans”, about a desperate housewife Karen who determines to find out if infidelity is the reason her husband Dionisio arrives home late every night.

From Cuba came another charmer in Fina Torres’ “Havana Eva” about a young garment factory worker who dreams of being a fashion designer but must choose between her lazy Cuban boy friend and a dazzling capitalist who offers a chance to realize her wildest dreams. In this film, art mirrors real life, of the crossroads at which Cuba finds itself.

From Belize’s budding film industry came Aaron Lauriano’s “Caan Tek It No more’, about how a young man selling weed in the ghetto, turns his life around, survives and offers a similar hope to his past antagonists.

The importance of Belize’s environment is underscored in two documentaries, on the water connection from the river to the reef and in another: “Someday is Now” about the need for responsible , sustainable development and how pollution and over-fishing are threatening livelihoods.

The Reporter

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,637 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,729 Topics
461,287 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.