Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#411908 - 07/16/11 06:48 AM Fishing
Loka Offline
Hi all, my husband is interested in deep sea fishing when we arrive in Sept. But from what i'm reading, it may be better for him to go reef fishing. Can anyone suggest which might be more exciting for him? Are there any charters you would recommend? He's by himself, so he would also need to find other participants. Thanks in advance for any responses.

#411909 - 07/16/11 07:23 AM Re: Fishing [Re: Loka]
the lazy gringo Offline
Over the years I have deep sea fished several times without much success. Reef fishing has a lot more action and I have nearly always been able to feed several people with my catch. I think I have only been skunked once. I use Eric and Clifford now and have always brought back plenty of fish with them. Good guys and great fishermen.

#411910 - 07/16/11 07:47 AM Re: Fishing [Re: Loka]
ragman Offline
Loka, some of my friends went out deep sea fishing and they were somewhat successful. I agree that reef fishing is a lot of fun and you may want to join him. My wife who had never fished before loved it. We went several times last winter. Also you can combine a day of fishing and snorkeling. There are several guides on small boats who will meet you at your resort and take you out for reasonable rates and even include a BBQ if you would like. They have half and full day trips and again they will tailor it to your desires.

We always arranged it to go out with two couples or so which made it even more fun. You might be able to find another couple where ever you are staying. One trip we went up North and went into Tranquility Bay for lunch at their restaurant that was a great day. Good luck and have a fun trip.
Somewhere on a beach in Belize

#411914 - 07/16/11 09:52 AM Re: Fishing [Re: the lazy gringo]
Bear Offline
Originally Posted By: the lazy gringo
I use Eric and Clifford now and have always brought back plenty of fish with them. Good guys and great fishermen.

I'll second LG's nomination there for local waters fishing. Eric's boat is larger and more conducive to a nice day on the water, Cliff, although a bit brusque, is a good mate and will tell you exactly what you need to do to be successful. I mention the boat size because some boats will handle 4 people easily and others, while claiming room for 4, are pretty tight with little room for movement once youre aboard. If at all possible check the boat and talk with the skipper ahead of time. I personally have yet to be fully comforatble on some of my favorite skipper's boats simply becasue they have smaller pangas.

Hill Gonzales, or Eloy,or Tino who, like Eric, also work off the dock at Chuck and Robbie's, are also my suggestions for local waters fishing but their boats, in my opinion, would be limited to two people and only two normal sozed people in my opinion. My lineman size at 6'5 and 350# dictates I go alone on their boats for obvious reasons.

There are cruisers, again some better than others, and you'll pay a price for those, but if your husband has been on these before he knows this. Talking to my son's friend a former fishing operation manager at Turneffe, he pointed out the main reason why local deepsea fishing is spotty is that the Gulf stream is pretty far offshore. We get the pelagics that "stray" off this fishing superhighway. It takes a run to get out to it.

Now you can get nice dorado, 60# wahoo, and small black tuna (little delicious footballs!)off the island on a seasonal basis, without much time invested in travelling but it is seasonal just as it is anywhere. Dont go in Decemebr thinkning youre going to catch dorado who show up in May/June. To get to truly good "deepsea" waters be prepared to spend a good portion of your day simply getting there and it will require a full day charter to do that.

Just my buck $Bz. Hook up!!

Edited by Bear (07/16/11 10:36 AM)
Edit Reason: lousy tyoing

#411916 - 07/16/11 10:00 AM Re: Fishing [Re: Loka]
Bobber Offline
One of the staples on our trips has always been a reef fishing day trip followed by a beach barbecue. No finer way to do fish than an open fire. The people we have used always turned out food to rival any restaurant.
Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt

#411938 - 07/16/11 04:35 PM Re: Fishing [Re: Loka]
Loka Offline
Thanks to everyone, this is very helpful. I think I will recommend the reef fishing AND include myself on this one. I have gone out fishing with him before, but not deep sea. He had a great time in Costa Rica, but I think this would be just as good, judging from your comments. The snorkeling, fishing, BBQ sound like fun. I will check out some of your recommended captains and set something up. Thanks again!

#411955 - 07/16/11 06:55 PM Re: Fishing [Re: Loka]
Bear Offline
Originally Posted By: Loka
He had a great time in Costa Rica, but I think this would be just as good, judging from your comments.

Not to diss my adoptive country but you really cant compare deepsea Belize and Costa Rica fishing. Their offshore fisheries are just completely different, better, there i said it, than Belize. However Belize kicks their ass when it comes to flats fishing, no comparison there...

#411956 - 07/16/11 07:18 PM Re: Fishing [Re: Bear]
Loka Offline
Sounds good, we weren't familiar with the type of fishing you do there, so I think he'll be happy with flats or reef fishing. We're always up for something different.

#412801 - 07/30/11 05:08 AM Re: Fishing [Re: Loka]
Hunter45 Offline
Yes you can't compare Belize with Costa Rica. In Costa Rica we we out 50 Miles before we started to fish, but we caught 9 Sail fish in one day, but you can not keep them. The flats and the Reef fishing in Belize is a lot of fun and a lot of action. Plus you don't have a 50 mile drive out to fish. We love catching the fish and taking them back to the condo and cooking them ourselfs. We fed ourself for 4 meals with the fish we caught in one day.

Edited by Hunter45 (07/30/11 05:09 AM)

#412825 - 07/30/11 12:10 PM Re: Fishing [Re: Hunter45]
Bear Offline
shocked Geez Hunter thats a ride for CR! Out of curiosity where was the marina and what time of year were you there?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Safecracker, 1 invisible), 50 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,636 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,727 Topics
461,281 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.