Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#411940 - 07/16/11 09:52 PM Farmer's market/roadside stands/fresh veggies/fish
Fernandina Offline
My husband and I will be on Ambergris Caye for several months, and we'll be doing much of our own cooking. Are there any good sources other than the grocery stores (such as roadside stands or farmer's markets) for fresh fruits and veggies? Also for fresh fish and chicken? How much might a whole chicken cost? Thank you!

Edited by Fernandina (07/16/11 09:54 PM)

#411954 - 07/16/11 11:53 PM Re: Farmer's market/roadside stands/fresh veggies/fish [Re: Fernandina]
The Baker Offline
Try Maria's Fruit Stand across the Belize Yacht Club, 1/2 mile south of town.
http://thebaker.bz

#411960 - 07/17/11 04:17 AM Re: Farmer's market/roadside stands/fresh veggies/fish [Re: Fernandina]
Bear Offline
The Greenhouse on Pescador (Middle St.) has a great selection of produce and specialty items.

#411964 - 07/17/11 02:01 PM Re: Farmer's market/roadside stands/fresh veggies/fish [Re: Fernandina]
Diane Campbell Offline
Generally speaking, fresh veggies on roadside stands tend to fade pretty fast due to the heat. Most often you will find that the fruit and veggies sold from places with good AC or cool bins last longer.
A fun alternative to the street vendors is a boat that comes over from Sarteneja once a week with good fresh fruit. It docks behind the football field and when it comes in the prices and quality of things are excellent.

Fresh fish - early morning when the fishermen clean their catch - a couple of sheds by the football field on lagoon behind town.
Excellent!

Chicken - you'll have to go to a market for that. I always buy the sections and can't tell you what it costs ..... we just buy and pay.

For quality and variety I find Greenhouse is the best. It's our first stop. What we can't get there we source elsewhere ..... toilet paper, dog food, paper towels - stuff like that you can get in a variety of shops.

#411969 - 07/17/11 02:35 PM Re: Farmer's market/roadside stands/fresh veggies/fish [Re: Fernandina]
collyk Offline
Healthy Belize is one of my favourite places for fresh veggies, fruits and now they do seafood too. Their fruit and veggies are organic and quite delicious. Their Facebook page is Healthy Belize's Facebook page

#411991 - 07/17/11 08:22 PM Re: Farmer's market/roadside stands/fresh veggies/fish [Re: collyk]
Tim Callanan Offline
http://www.investinbelize.com/blog1/?p=3882
try by the football field in town.Once or twice a week you can find families selling.They live on the boat till all the veggies are sold and then head back to Corozal.Click link above
You can normally get half price,and we like helping the family;they stay till the boat load is sold.I make it a point to drive by the bay side when we are running low.Otherwise we support the other local families,like Maria across from Yacht Club.We need to check out the link above (Zac),so little time.

Edited by Tim Callanan (07/17/11 08:24 PM)

#411994 - 07/18/11 12:57 AM Re: Farmer's market/roadside stands/fresh veggies/fish [Re: collyk]
BeBelize Offline
Originally Posted By: collyk
Healthy Belize is one of my favourite places for fresh veggies, fruits and now they do seafood too. Their fruit and veggies are organic and quite delicious. Their Facebook page is Healthy Belize's Facebook page

+1

Fruits and veggies are stored in coolers and are marked with the date they are picked. They are sourced from Sol Organic Farms on the mainland so are sustainable and organic. The prices are completely in line with the Green House and other places that sell non-organic items. Try them!

#411998 - 07/18/11 05:16 AM Re: Farmer's market/roadside stands/fresh veggies/fish [Re: BeBelize]
lisanuevayork Offline
great information. What day does the boat from Sarteneja come in? Also when you say early morning for fish, what do you mean? We will arrive from mainland in the afternoon but would like to know for the next day. And the other boat that comes Tues and Saturday-do you know what time?
thanks you again-this time from my appetite.....

#412005 - 07/18/11 03:01 PM Re: Farmer's market/roadside stands/fresh veggies/fish [Re: lisanuevayork]
Tim Callanan Offline
No guarantees on days and times of the boats.You can always rely on the island vendors and get what ever is in season.
Try Maria's fresh squeezed orange juice,try the new organic food service.Stop by the green house for fresh fish and lobster.Plan on using our local vendors,if your lucky you will catch a veggie boat it is "slow season".Fresh fish is normally by the lagoon side north corner you will smell them or see the birds,will be there a little past 7:30 a.m. I think.This is all Belize time,can easily change with weather and the Belize factor.
Enjoy your trip!

#412034 - 07/19/11 01:43 AM Re: Farmer's market/roadside stands/fresh veggies/fish [Re: Fernandina]
Fernandina Offline
Thank you, everybody. This relieves my mind about options, and helps a lot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (VoVoVo), 34 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,673 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,040 Topics
462,248 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.