Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
M
Here is what I do to virtually eliminate roaming charges in BZ. Before you leave, like on the plane on the way out. Go to settings | phone | call forward. Forward your phone to a US Number with voice mail. My voicemail emails me when someone leaves a voice mail, so I know and can listen to it over wifi. If you don't have a voicemail service like this, you can use Skype with a skype in number. You can then leave your phone on without the risk of paying $3.00 per minute when someone leaves you a voice mail. You can still use your phone for outgoing calls in a pinch if you do this. Roughly $3.00 per minute.

As was stated before, make sure you turn data roaming off.

I'm at Grand Caribe and we have pretty good internet, I use a voip line to make most of my outgoing calls. The cell is forwarded to that voip line.

Last edited by MikeW; 07/12/11 09:26 AM.
Originally Posted by PROBUS
If I were you I'd buy either a local Digicell SIM card and use it in your iPhone (trimmed as necessary), or buy a cheap "Smart" phone (CDMA) which will be the cheapest to use in Belize.

Do yourself a favor either rent a phone there or buy a cheap unlocked GSM phone and get a SIM in Belize. Or better yet leave phones completely at home. I managed to get around the world quite well without a phone at all in the 60 and 70's. cool

MMM #411801 07/14/11 04:04 PM
C
C
I just cut my sim and unlocked my iPhone using a GEVE chip, very easy. I like how it picks up WiFi which is all over the island so I can get emails on the go. But, it doesn't need to be unlocked to do this, only need unlock to make/receive calls here with BTL.

MMM #411993 07/17/11 04:46 PM
M
MMM Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Anyone use FaceTime to talk back to the us?

P
P
Originally Posted by ColdwellBankerSP
I just cut my sim and unlocked my iPhone using a GEVE chip, very easy. I like how it picks up WiFi which is all over the island so I can get emails on the go. But, it doesn't need to be unlocked to do this, only need unlock to make/receive calls here with BTL.

Soes that work even without one of BTL's Data Plans?

MMM #412001 07/18/11 07:48 AM
Probus,

I dont know that it does jack for data access, the SIM is just for voice. I think you have to have a "registered" Belizean digital phone account to get a BTL data plan. You can turn on the iPhone's data roaming but look out!

Facetime will work with wifi. Otherwise its data and you would need to have data roaming enabled. Not good unless youve got Warren Buffet's income, come to think of I don't think Warren Buffet would be so stupid as to turn on Data roaming. Got wifi? one should be good to go but may be pretty choppy...

Last edited by Bear; 07/18/11 07:59 AM.
Bear #412020 07/18/11 02:51 PM
T
t42 Offline
T
I don't know what data roaming means but my iphone/3G works fine with Sim and prepaid which gives me internet everywhere not just wifi. The BTL guy put the code in under network settings but again I may be totally out of the ballpark for what you are all talking about. Technilogically challenged big time lol

MMM #412021 07/18/11 03:13 PM
C
C
If you want to use your iPhone outside of WiFi areas, without a data plan, you'll need to unlock or have an unlocked iPhone. 3g and 3gs is easy here, 4 is a bit tricky.

DigiCell Internet is now available to PrePaid Customers! New

Enjoy the ultimate convenience of having Internet access on your DigiCell phone. Only DigiCell gives you the fastest speeds and most complete mobile Internet experience!

DigiCell Internet gives you:

Faster download speeds with EDGE
Instant and continuous Internet connection to:
-Check your email -Browse the net

-Watch videos -Download content

And

You can even access DigiCell Internet on your laptop using a wireless data card.
How do I get it?

All DigiCell PrePaid Customers with GPRS and/or EDGE ready phones can access the internet on their handset! All you need to do is enter DigiCell's Access Point Name (APN) on your handset.

Set Up Instructions

Go to your Internet/Browser Settings on your phone
The specific name and set up of this feature will vary depending on phone model. Some key words to look for are: Web sessions, Data Cellular Network, Connections, or any other term associated with Internet Settings

In the settings, enter or update the APN field with the following: www.btlgprs.bz
Once you enter it, save the changes and exit the settings menu.
Go to the Internet icon, click and you are ready to browse.
Note: If you experience any problems accessing the internet, call 0-800-DIGICEL or visit any Telemedia Customer Service Center for assistance.

How much does it cost?

With DigiCell Internet, there are no subscription or activation fees. You pay-as-you-go with the credit you already have in your account. The rate you pay is only $0.005 per Kb transferred (data uploaded/downloaded) while using the service.

ONGOING PROMO RATE
$0.0025 per kb

MMM #412027 07/18/11 05:41 PM
These are all great advices but if you do decide to go with the Iphone option you need to keep one important thing in mind...If your phone has alot of Apps make sure when you are on the Digicell Service that "Push Notifications" and "Updates" are all set to off because some Apps tend to hog up your credits on your phone if you dont keep an eye on them

Last edited by Alter Ego; 07/18/11 05:43 PM.
T
t42 Offline
T
Not new have had it for long time laugh

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.