Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
Looking for San Pedrano locals suggestions for the best deal on cigars, somewhere between the terminal and Coastal Express dock.

Best selection?
Best pricing ?

Thanks!

DC

Well the only authorized dealer for Cubans I could find is the tiny little "Habanos S.A." store on Barrier Reef, a little south of its intersection Black Coral St. I got the Belizean distributor's contact information directly from Habanos S.A. web site in Cuba and then confirmed by emailing the distributor. According to them this is only authorized dealer for Habanos S.A. in Belize. Which makes one think considering the volume of "Cuban" cigars in the airport.

This happens to be the same intersection as you walk out from the Tackle Box dock. Carlos is the owner and we've had many good dicussions about cigars, Cuban cigars in particular of course. Dont get hung up on "Cohiba" try others as well like the Cuaba's for instance. His walkin is very tight but well controlled. The cigars are fresh as his turnover is high. Dont expeect to buy a $25 cigar for $8 it aint happenin.

Although I havent really sat and talked cigars with Saul Nunez of The Belizean Cigar Co. at the Rum and Coffee House on Pescador Drive, I'd like to. Look him up on the web. I asked him if there any Nicaraguan cigars represented in Belize and he gave me a long face and thought not. He certainly did not have any in his selection of cigars although I understand his roller does use Nicaraguan leaf in the house sticks. He was a very nice guy, I liked his place for the friendliness and killer walkin humidor but chose not to buy there. I'll have to try one or two of his roller's when we're next there. I simply chose the authorized dealer to whom I had been directed for my Cuban experience (which honestly? for the price?, I found quite underwhelming).

Most everyone seems to offer "Cubans" but honestly, to me, many I saw in outlying areas and small convenience stores or pharmacies etc were quite obviously fakes. I will not be so stupid as to say that all are, many times Cuban cigars come through countries rather than imported direclty from Cuba. But of the examples I saw in Bleize, many had poor quality wrappers of varying shades and colors, inconsistent wrapping technique, filler that was not uniform and of inferior quality and rather choked down "draw". I've tried a few from various little markets across Beleize just for the experience and all were just flat horrible.

I've heard more knowledgeable people than me mention the imitation rate may be higher than 95%. The labels are impecably printed and if I didn't also know a few things about cigars (like something even as mundane as the behavior of the glue used on the labels when youre tryin gto peel them off) I'd be taken in for sure.

I guess I'm just sying "caveat emptor".

Last edited by Bear; 08/01/11 05:49 PM.
B
B
Best to bring your own.

Bear thanks for the infomation .I enjoyed the class .
I was sure most where fakes ,while I do not smoke I have friends who like cigars .But the ones on a super market counter
looked dried and not fresh .So I never brought any home for them to smoke.You do know your stuff .

Living The Dream Every Day!
I find Cuban cigars, even the authentic, to be over priced and over rated compared to what is available from other countries. Of course my cigar smoking started many, many years ago with Dutch Masters and Crooks, so I probably don't qualify as a Cigar Aficionado.
And, speaking of other countries, a favorite of mine is made in the USA, Little Havana district of Miami, called Moore and Bode.

Originally Posted by bywarren
I find Cuban cigars, even the authentic, to be over priced and over rated compared to what is available from other countries. ....a favorite of mine is made in the USA, Little Havana district of Miami, called Moore and Bode.

Exactly bw. My conclusion as well. Underwhelming. Some are certainly worthy but none exceptional in my opinion.

The variety of leaf characterisitics grown from genetically identical seed is remarkable. By simply growing plants from the same seed stock in a diffrent microclimate you can end up with wrapper, filler and binder. Nicaragua has perfected this, as have several other countries.

With respect to small local rollers as you mentioned in Miami, I was on the north end Barrier Reef Dr one night, near where the Lion's CLub meetings are held, and happened on a roller plying his craft with Belizean grown leaf. I'll have to explore that next time.

With respect to small local rollers as you mentioned in Miami, I was on the north end Barrier Reef Dr one night, near where the Lion's CLub meetings are held, and happened on a roller plying his craft with Belizean grown leaf. I'll have to explore that next time. [/quote]

Right, I have come accros those "local guys" rolling "Belizean grown leaf" many times. grin

bywarren #413011 08/02/11 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by bywarren
Right, I have come accros those "local guys" rolling "Belizean grown leaf" many times. grin

Okay funny guy, I left myself wide open for that zinger, but I owe you one wink

Bear #413018 08/02/11 10:21 AM
SailAway cafe must be where you're referring to by the Lion's Den. Their website/blog is http://www.sailawaybelize.blogspot.com/ and they say about their cigars:
"For cigar connoisseurs, we offer BELICENOs! Beliceno cigars are produced right here in Belize. They are hand rolled, long leaf, long filler. No chopped tobacco! One customer rated the Churchill and 8 out of 10. 10 being his favorite cigar of which I am not familiar. Other regular smokers have given the Beliceno rave reviews. The only way to know for sure...stop in and try one for yourself! Beliceno comes in 5 different styles: Panatella, Coronita, Robusto, Torpedo and Churchill. " Sail Away's also a nice spot for great coffee (their own organic, fair trade coffee) and some yummy pastries.

Excellent SS! that was it! I was on my way to dinner that evening and could only chat with the proprietor a few minutes. That sounds like the place exactly. I examined some of the filler and binder and thought it might make a decent milder cigar. the wrapper was pale, supple, and nicely aromatic. All grown in the Toledo District as I now recall. Looking forward to exploring those possibilities.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 313 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.