Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#413040 - 08/02/11 07:32 PM Stolen items from luggage in water taxi hold
Fernandina Offline
I have read several accounts of ipods, laptops, cell phones etc. being stolen from luggage in the water taxi hold (Belize City to San Pedro). Is this something that is for real, or just hearsay? I posted this under another topic concerning water taxis and had no response. So re-posting it here. Thank you for any replies.

#413045 - 08/02/11 08:02 PM Re: Stolen items from luggage in water taxi hold [Re: Fernandina]
Loansum-Al K Offline
ipods, laptops, cell phones........not the type of things that you want to leave in your luggage no matter where you're traveling.

#413046 - 08/02/11 08:05 PM Re: Stolen items from luggage in water taxi hold [Re: Fernandina]
tortuga.chica Offline
I have only used the water taxi a few times and the last time was 3 or 4 years ago. Never had anything stolen. The ones that I took didn't stow bags in a "hold" persay. The bags were stowed under the seats and I was able to see my bags at all times. Granted this may certainly have changed in recent years with the changes to the taxi companies and such.

#413048 - 08/02/11 08:13 PM Re: Stolen items from luggage in water taxi hold [Re: tortuga.chica]
terrielinn Offline
Like traveling any place w/ a lot of people - never leave your things unattended. I too have used the water taxi's a number of times and never had any thing taken either by pick pocket or from luggage.

As always use general caution when traveling any where and you should be fine.

Enjoy the sun, sand and belikins! laugh

#413054 - 08/02/11 10:42 PM Re: Stolen items from luggage in water taxi hold [Re: Fernandina]
ron Offline
Not sure how someone gets access to luggage thats in the hold of the boat. Maybe little men hid down there waiting for bags with laptops in them to be stowed away. I regularly buy stuff in Belize City and have them deliver to either the San Pedro Belize Express or the CC water Taxi and they seem to always get it too me. I've lost cell phones from my baggage checked on Mayan Airlines, but my guess is that it was a crime of opportunity, the phones were in a side pocket not in the bag itself. If you have stuff you consider valuable carry it with you, none of the items you mention weigh more than a couple of pounds.

#413055 - 08/02/11 11:36 PM Re: Stolen items from luggage in water taxi hold [Re: Fernandina]
Bear Offline
Originally Posted By: Fernandina
I have read several accounts of ipods, laptops, cell phones etc. being stolen from luggage in the water taxi hold (Belize City to San Pedro). Is this something that is for real, or just hearsay? I posted this under another topic concerning water taxis and had no response. So re-posting it here. Thank you for any replies.

I think you have a better (if thats how you want to describe it) chance of getting ripped at a place like MIA (Missing in Action as I think of Miami Int'l)than the water taxi. I've had a guy mishandle a bag and it fell in the water but the guy jumped in so fast nothing inside even got wet. They were so worried I was going to go ballistic and then so relieved that I started laughing about it. I take that as an indicator that they dont like or want things happening to peoples stuff.

I'm aboard with many people here though, you got mission critical items? Carry them with you. Its simply the smart thing to do.

Edited by Bear (08/02/11 11:39 PM)

#413061 - 08/03/11 12:39 AM Re: Stolen items from luggage in water taxi hold [Re: Fernandina]
Fernandina Offline
Thanks for all the info...I had read in a couple of places about stuff getting lifted from peoples bags aboard and thought I'd ask. Thanks

#413089 - 08/03/11 02:20 PM Re: Stolen items from luggage in water taxi hold [Re: Bear]
KaraokeJoe Offline
"I'm aboard with many people here though, you got mission critical items?" - Mission critical? You've gotta be former military brother! laugh

#413119 - 08/03/11 04:10 PM Re: Stolen items from luggage in water taxi hold [Re: Fernandina]
Diane Campbell Offline
I have heard one or two comments from people who lost stuff traveling by water taxi. All I can think of is that it had to be in Belize City where they sometimes collect the bags well away from the boat and then hold them til boarding. Still, I find it hard to imagine a location where somebody can really riffle through random bags looking for stuff without being seen and/or caught.
Do you think maybe the victim said to the porter - careful, my camera, laptop and phone are in that bag right there? Now that could be a problem.

#413169 - 08/04/11 03:44 AM Re: Stolen items from luggage in water taxi hold [Re: Diane Campbell]
Bear Offline
Too bad they dont have a "Like" button on the board Diane, I'd have punched it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,079 Topics
462,376 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.