Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#413652 - 08/11/11 09:16 AM Constitutional Consultation Or Political Circus?
Marty Offline
The first public consultation on the proposed ninth amendment to the constitution will start in the next half an hour at the Holy Redeemer Parish Hall.

John Saldivar, who is the Chairman of the Constitution and Foreign Affairs Committee which will host the countrywide consultation, told us what he's expecting, allowing and encouraging tonight.

Hon. John Saldivar - Chairman of the Constitution and Foreign Affairs Committee
"Well I'm expecting that the people Belize City will turn out, first of all, to get clarification, and to voice their opinions, and in some cases, concerns about the 9th amendment. And we as the committee are there to listen."

Jules Vasquez
"Now, your colleague, Boots Martinez, has said that he is bringing out en mass. Are you concerned that the atmosphere will turn into that of a political rally?"

Hon. John Saldivar
"Well, having made the announcement publicly, I believe that the appropriate authorities, especially the police, are prepared for whatever crowd comes out there tonight."

Jules Vasquez
"But, having participated in numerous consultations, do you support any side lending an atmosphere that is not of a political value, and not of a genuine consultation?"

Hon. John Saldivar
"I do not believe that the presence of persons who support the position of the Government, represents a political rally. Neither do I believe that the presence of persons supporting those who oppose the amendment equals a political rally. I believe that the question that has been on many people's minds in the last couple of weeks, is this the will of the people? Tonight we will get a taste of whether it is so or not."

Jules Vasquez
"Now, I imagine there will be a plurality - a multiplicity - of opinions tonight. How will you weigh - how will you select who gets to speak?"

Hon. John Saldivar
"We're going to try to hear as many opinions as possible. We're certainly going to have to have some time limits as to how long somebody can make a presentation. But, other than that, they'll be picked at random, who gets in the line first I imagine."

Jules Vasquez
"But, if for example, Lisa Shoman is standing up to speak, who is a). from an opposing party, and b). has already spoken on a number fora about her perspective on it, would someone, perhaps more anonymous, be given preference?"

Hon. John Saldivar
"While we will make the announcement that we would prefer to hear from those who haven't spoken on it the issue, there is no way we can limit persons from speak except by time. I guess there will be slight change my approach, in that while I've been an advocate thus far, talking on behalf of Governments position, tonight I believe we're all there as committee members to listen to the public."

Jules Vasquez
"Now, are you prepared to actually listen? It appears that the UDP is - the Barrow Administration - is completely determined to make this into the law. Are you all prepared to hear, and to accept that regular people may be rejecting this?"

Hon. John Saldivar
"If we are completely determined to do so, it is because we are completely determined that it is the will of the people. And I'm sure that if we ever get the sense that it is not the will of the people, this is an administration that listens."

As we understand it, there are rules for tonight's event, such as no political placards inside the hall and the requirement that all persons entering will be searched.

We'll have full coverage of the event on tomorrow night's newscast.

It is sure to be very crowded, and likely very contentious as both mass parties are mobilizing their political armies, while pressure groups and regular citizens are also expected to be there.

Channel 7

#413663 - 08/11/11 09:30 AM Re: Constitutional Consultation Or Political Circus? [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Consultation on 9th Amendment opens to large crowd

The first round of public consultations on the proposed ninth amendment is scheduled to start shortly at the Holy Redeemer Parish Hall. From what we gather, the turnout is expected to be large despite trepidation that the proceedings will be railroaded by hotheads. Employees of the Ministry of Works told us that they have been given time off during their day shift from the poverty alleviation project to come out as part of the organized cheering gallery. The Unions, Chamber of Commerce, Council of Churches and other organizations have called on their members to be present for the discussion on one of the most controversial pieces of legislation to be presented by the government. The general feeling is that government ought not to alter the constitution to taking away fundamental rights from Belizeans and that politics should be removed from tonight’s consultations. We’ll have a report later on the newscast from ground zero where a news crew is on standby.

But earlier today, the most recent non-governmental organization to speak out against the proposed ninth amendment to the Belize Constitution is Belizeans for Justice (BFJ). Earlier today, the organization more known for its help with families of murder victims, sent out a press release denouncing the amendment. After doing its own due diligence, BFJ says that the ninth counters its core values and that of Belize’s constitutional democracy. BFJ supports nationalization of public utilities, however, it disagrees with the section of the amendment that limits the power of the courts and it suggests that nationalizations should also ensure that former owners of companies can seek redress in court. In conclusion, BFJ says it “joins the Bar Association of Belize, the Belize Chamber of Commerce and the Belize Council of Churches in calling upon the government to preserve the rule of law and withdraw the Ninth Amendment Bill.”

Channel 5

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,717 Topics
461,257 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.