Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#414091 08/17/11 07:36 PM
OP Offline
I'm sure someone knows better than me as I am very new at storm watching.....I'd like to hear from anyone with thoughts or opinions on the storm brewing just South Of Jamaica....

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
M
M
Won't know for a couple days. The weather link on this web site has a lot of good radar sites and forcasts. Right now it has a 40% chance of developing into something but that doesn't mean it will necessarily head this way. Keep checking. Adios. Michael

M
M
Forgive my spelling - forecast was missing an E.

JZB Offline
You never know until it actually makes landfall but the prediction as of this morning is that there is a good chance of it making landfall somewhere in Belize as Tropical Storm Harvey. Its not even a depression yet tho.

Originally Posted by Judyann H.
I'm sure someone knows better than me as I am very new at storm watching.....I'd like to hear from anyone with thoughts or opinions on the storm brewing just South Of Jamaica....

In years past it seems people overreact to these storms.I just take photos of the weather on the island. I am in no way a weather predictor.
The Hurricane season is serious business and I have a big disagreement with how its handled on Ambergris Caye. Meteorology is science and determining the safety of people its not a role for amateurs in merchant associations or citizen committees.
Self proclaimed island officials playing meteorologist trying to figure out for themselves what is coming and issuing advice of evacuating and warnings over the television,radio and Internet in Belize is foolish. Belize National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO) should get out of the weather business and go read the children's book about the consequences of crying wolf!
IMHO :-)

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
FYI - this is just info, and not any intention to get into a personal kerfuffle with Elbert.

NEMO SanPedro has a professional meteorologist on the local committee.
The rest of the individuals volunteer to help set up systems to assist the pubic. These individuals include the water taxi operators, medical personnel, Coast Guard, BDF and Police.
The "marching orders" from NEMO come from the Director who works closely with the MET office.

PS - today's weather (verified by looking out the window) is beautiful.

They got the island incited to the point of evacuation last year and it didn't even rain!
I'm just saying that the Belize Weather Bureau should decide when its a warning.

White Sands Dive Shop
OP Offline
Thank you for the input...We are signed up with NEMO for notification of evacuation....Yes, in 2005 (?) I was hustled off the island with the threat of Hurricane Emily. Once I reached the States a friend called me from the island and said it did not even rain....However I had taken a dive the day before and there were no fishies in the Sea....I thought they would know better than me....That was my final decision to leave. Therefore Science or Psychic it would be nice to know for sure.

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
Yes, the better safe than sorry logic is bad for tourist business!

White Sands Dive Shop
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.