Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#414456 - 08/22/11 01:10 PM Buses to and from the Westernn border over-loaded
Caribeno Offline
For some time now I travel to the Western border frequently and it is no pleasure anymore. I'm sure that for transportation of cattle in the States or in Europe there's more space for the cattle than in these buses.

There had been one Express bus on Sunday morning at 8am going from BZE to Benque and it had been suspended. Now there's a regular bus and it is so unbelievable over-loaded. Yesterday there had been more than 40 people !!! standing in the aisle - more than 100 passengers in a bus that might be licensed for 55! This is extremely dangerous and not a pleasure for anyone traveling in these buses But it's not just bad on Sundays - I see over-loaded buses every day now.

In Belmopan the terminal staff control that no passenger will be standing in the aisle and then the bus leave the terminal, stop 30 feet past the exit of the terminal and let endless passengers get on the bus. Also yesterday many people standing on the streets and wanting to get on the bus could not - it's just a complete hassle for people in and out these buses.

My questions now: Do we have to take care that the new bus companies make a maximum profit or shouldn't we do something for the people in Belize and the tourists using these buses? How could we offer such a lousy service and think the message would not spread outside and hold possible visitors back from coming to Belize? Why is bus service with good service and comfort working in Mexico and not in Belize?

#414493 - 08/23/11 05:23 AM Re: Buses to and from the Westernn border over-loaded [Re: Caribeno]
Cooper Offline
Because its Belize..why are RT airfares so cheap from Cancun and so expensive from here..because its Belize. You can get your express bus from B.C. to Belmopan weekdays every half hour from 6am to 9am,on a regular basis. Hopefully you will spend some time energy and money on fixing our bus system. Instead of just complaining. Personally I dont mind it, the country is small and two to four hours on a crowed bus dosnt ruin my day. For $4.00 almost anywhere you want to go...well...I never has a Mercedes..never ride the bus on Sundays....
What new bus companies? Belize has at least 4 regional bus companies..none are really new, and they are operating same as usual..yes the air conditioned express buses have broken down and gone..this is not Mexico...

#414497 - 08/23/11 01:37 PM Re: Buses to and from the Westernn border over-loaded [Re: Cooper]
C2C
Originally Posted By: Cooper
Hopefully you will spend some time energy and money on fixing our bus system. Instead of just complaining. Personally I dont mind it,[...]yes the air conditioned express buses have broken down and gone..this is not Mexico...

You urge others to fix a problem instead of (as you label it) complaining. But you, rather than attempt remedy simply "don't mind it" and chalk up to it being Belize vs Mexico. That's lazy and rather ignorant. An overcrowded bus is a safety hazard to all in the bus and conceivably around the bus at the time of an accident.

#414659 - 08/25/11 03:27 AM Re: Buses to and from the Westernn border over-loaded [Re: Caribeno]
Cooper Offline
In 10 years here I only recall one bus accident that resulted in death.Actually I only recall the one bus accident at all. pretty good record. I myself dont enjoy the buses much, but they are not here for my convenience.They are the only mode of transportation for thousands of Belizeans. Its the only way kids can get to school, adults to work. Families to the doctor or to buy goods. Oh yes the Mexican buses are divine. This is not Mexico. If you expect air conditioning, t.v. shade covers..reclining chairs..then you will also be eliminating the only transportation for the locals. As fares would triple or more. They dont mind the conditions..its
about being thankful for what you have. (I never knew how lucky I was to have one leg until I had none} this was a quote from a Belizean woman with diabetes.
A;so over half the countries in the world have much worse statistics and bus services, these are a few I have been on..Morocco through the Atlas Mountains. Guatemalan Boarder to Flores, for the several years when the road was under construction. Kowloon to port town in China. Road to the sun glacier park Montana. The trains have been worse in other countries, so overcrowded on the low end fares people are actually sleeping in the luggage racks. I look at it as my choice not to go first class, or stay in more developed countries. Let me tell you we got on the wrong bus a few years ago in Mexico on a 3 hour trip to Merida that ended up taking 8 hours and chickens were actually in the middle aisle, never saw a chicken on our chicken bus here.
There still are 4 express busses leaving weekday morning from B.C to Belmopan, knowone in the isle on these. Still 3 or 4 leaving Benque/San Ignacio to B.C in the a.m. knowone allowed in aisle. Sundays? not the best day to ride the bus.

#414942 - 08/27/11 11:11 PM Re: Buses to and from the Westernn border over-loaded [Re: Cooper]
Caribeno Offline
Well Cooper, that's a very convenient way of looking at your personal little world - let's pack more than 100 (that's a one with 2 zeroes!!!) people into a bus that used to be licensed for 59 kids - one accident: wow, I remmeber some more and I remember that I saw numerous busses broken down and the passengers stuck on the Western Highway, but as long as the Guatemalan busses between Flores and Melchor had been worse once upon a time ago - don't mind!

The new bus company is called Westline and is owned by the chairman of the UDP in Cayo and since then everything got worse - but OK, it's Belize, let's just consume the information and - never mind!
Sh....t if you have to take the bus on Sundays and am really happy that I have my 2 legs, even if they hurt so very much before reaching Belmopan, that sometimes I leave the bus at the junction to Belmopan and go hitch-hiking. If you're tall (6 feet 5) it's a challenge but you might now say that it's my own responsibility that I'm a tall guy and might perhaps have to move to Mexico if I would be looking for some basic (very BASIC) level.

Good for you, that you live in Caye Caulker. You can leave the crowded boats already after 45 minutes. By the way: I was on a small boat Sunday morning, with more than 50 people on it, and am happy that I have 2 legs in case I would have to swim :-)
Let's hope that one day none of these busses with way too many passengers will not crash into any vehicle and many people then injured or dead.

My expectation even in countries like Belize is not to consume everything and accept any change to worse just because "it is Belize" - why should things permanently go worse?: I publish and get loud and there might be more who open their mouth and do not just sit around saying: well it's Belize!

The circumstance that we have these expensive airfares is the lack of understanding that this must not be said and done for ever! If we would finally understand that we should work together, all of us, and work on lowering the rates, kick the BTB in the back, not just sit around and say: "It's Belize". If we would understand that tourisme in Belize should get together and work hand in hand instead of being jealous that the competitor gets more customers we could lower the air fares! if we would understand that we should go to the European market and sell this beautiful product "Belize" and not sit around and say "this is Belize" we would be able to lower the air fare! If we just would not do what you do, Cooper, we could have done so many changes!

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (dabunk, IGAmel), 45 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,075 Topics
462,351 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.