Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#414650 - 08/25/11 12:51 AM Hotel in Cancun= HELP
ScubaLdy Offline
I'm going from San Pedro to Chetumal on the water jet next Tuesday. Then I have an ADO bus ticket to Cancan. I will have overnight in order to catch a 7 AM flight.
I do not speak English and would like to find a very inexpensive place at or near the airport with shuttle service.

I'm looking for advice.

#414652 - 08/25/11 01:31 AM Re: Hotel in Cancun= HELP [Re: ScubaLdy]
SP Daily Offline
what language do you speak?

#414653 - 08/25/11 01:37 AM Re: Hotel in Cancun= HELP [Re: ScubaLdy]
ScubaLdy Offline
I'm tempted to be a smart a$$ but the truth is I do not speak Spanish; and sometimes I have trouble with English.

#414655 - 08/25/11 02:20 AM Re: Hotel in Cancun= HELP [Re: ScubaLdy]
Amanda Syme Offline
You won't have a problem finding a hotel - the cabbies and hoteliers speak English in Cancun.

The bus makes a few snack stops along the way, that is the only time you might wish you spoke a little Spanish so you can get a snack. But living here you will be familiar with the food and their names.

The trip is nowhere near as daunting as you may fear.

Be aware - the airport is NOT in Cancun - it is a ways out of town. I don't know the best place to stay and I don't know about budgets etc. I haven't stayed in Cancun since the early 1990's.

#414660 - 08/25/11 04:30 AM Re: Hotel in Cancun= HELP [Re: ScubaLdy]
PROBUS Offline
You're best staying in Playa del Carmen and then going to the airport from there. It's a shorter bus journey, both from Chetumal and to the airport. There is a couple of hotels I've used there. I'll PM you.

#414682 - 08/25/11 02:15 PM Re: Hotel in Cancun= HELP [Re: ScubaLdy]
MisterB266 Offline
If you don't mind night buses, there are a couple of express buses that depart from Chetumal (at 10 pm and 12:30 am) and go direct to the airport. It's a 5.5 hour trip so the 10pm bus will get you there with plenty of time to spare. The 12:30 am bus will get you there at 6am (probably too close for comfort).

I usually stay in Playa, but with a 7am departure time, I might not advise this for you because Playa is about 1 hour south of the airport and the airport express buses (110 pesos) start running at 5am (getting you to the airport at 6am). You would have to leave Playa by 3 or 4am. There are probably other ways to get to the airport but I don't have any details about them. If you were forced to take a taxi, it would be more expensive from Playa than Cancun city.

Cancun City is just under 30 minutes north of the airport, and there are frequent buses to the airport. There are a few hotels near the bus terminal -- Hotel Alux (I think it's a lower budget hotel) gets good comments on forums (I've never stayed there).

#414762 - 08/26/11 02:36 PM Re: Hotel in Cancun= HELP [Re: MisterB266]
tacogirl Offline

Hotel Alux is nice [only stayed at the one in Playa though not Cancun] http://hotelalux.com/

#414801 - 08/26/11 06:00 PM Re: Hotel in Cancun= HELP [Re: ScubaLdy]
MalibuStace Offline
The Marriott Courtyard has a free shuttle to the airport and is the nicest and closet hotel to Cancun Airport at this time.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/cuncy-courtyard-cancun/

#414812 - 08/26/11 07:54 PM Re: Hotel in Cancun= HELP [Re: ScubaLdy]
ScubaLdy Offline
Mr. B
That is just the kind of info I was looking for 10 PM bus.
Is that an ADO bus? I already have a ticket with them. Would my ticket to Cancun let me get off at the airport?
I have a contact in Chetumal so that I could spend the day there and then sleep on the bus.
Otherwise it looks like the Comfort Inn would be my next best bet.

#414819 - 08/26/11 08:20 PM Re: Hotel in Cancun= HELP [Re: ScubaLdy]
elbert Offline
I'm glad to see this thread, I'm taking the same trip then jumping off to cuba.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (JohnVan3, 1 invisible), 36 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,058 Topics
462,303 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.