Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#415036 08/29/11 12:39 PM
B
OP Offline
B
This may be answered else where in this forum...but I started looking and it was a ton to read. I have been a resident for a year and a half. Can I vote for the next mayor? Dying to know! thx.

Hmm I know that commonwealth citizens can vote in municipal elections - folks from Australia, South Africa, Canada, UK etc.

Good question. I look forward to hearing the answer.

R
R
It took me a few minutes to find this but when I was looking into residency I remember some one telling me this or maybe I read it. I believe you can vote in the local election. It would be easy to go down the the town hall and inquire and register which is just what I would do.

http://www.belizefirst.com/QRPUpdate.htm

"Official Permanent Residency

Pros: Full residency rights (except voting in national elections -- you can vote in local elections), can work, open to anyone regardless of age, tax-free entry of household effects."

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
S
S
Great to know, Jim! Curious if anyone has a figure for the number of residents on AC....

B
OP Offline
B
I made it easy on myself and just called the Elections Board. Residents from Commonwealth countries can vote, otherwise you need to have been naturalized. Lowly Americans get nothing. Oh well...

R
R
Thanks for getting back to us on that point. If I think of it I will look into this a little closer this winter. I wonder if that is the local interpretation of the law or is that the way it is in all of Belize because I've never heard or read of that distinction.

Not saying one way or another, could very well be, but interesting.

PS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_foreigners_to_vote#Belize
Belize(CN member) Commonwealth citizens who are domiciled or have resided in the country for at least one year immediately before polling day are qualified as electors, but not for eligibility to the House of Representatives, which requires Belize citizenship.[16]
16 ^ "Belize". Inter-Parliamentary Union. Retrieved 2007-12-12.

This says nothing about Non CN Permanent Residents which I would think means that they will not have the right to vote.

This may have the answer: Belize Law Village Councils (local elections I would think) Chapter 88 Part VI (Powers and Duties of Village Concils) Sec. 35 (b) to provide for the qualifications and registraion of electors.

From what I can make out it is up to the Village to vote and decide who can be an elector and then submitt this to the government. Everything in () is mine as an explaination. The law site would not allow me to copy and paste. Therefore non Commonwealth residents probably can not vote in local elections in San Pedro if the information BrusselSpout received is correct.

Last edited by ragman; 08/30/11 03:23 PM.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
B
OP Offline
B
I'll call the Belize City office tomorrow and see what I get. I would really love to vote.

I called a contact in Belmopan, can't say who. and was told that residents are not allowed to vote in national or town council elections, they are allowed to vote in village council elections. I forgot to ask if this applied to residents from the commonwealth.

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
T
T
Commonwealth citizens who are residents of Belize CAN vote in all elections here.

S
S
Voting in Belize can also be quite profitable I understand (plus you also get T shirts and free beer) LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 272 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.