Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#414705 08/25/11 11:03 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Good-morning Neighbors,
This Sat Aug 27th beginning at 8am We are going to be having a Beach and Road Clean up starting at the Bridge and going north to Capricorn

We are fortunate to have the participation and support from Town Board and BTB

The great garbage clean-up is getting under way. We'll be doing at least three successive pushes, the first being Saturday the 27th.

BTB and Town Board will supply -
Trucks / front loader
4 men
drinking water
55-gallon trash bags
publicity on tv, radio and newspaper

I am asking that all neighbors come out and participate, and or if you have employee's that you can dedicate for this. We should take pride in where we live and how it looks . This is our neighborhood and we all want to keep it beautiful. This is a project that has long been on our list of goals, and this is your opportunity to participate and make a change.

Trash bags will be available at the Palapa Bar for residents to start early and place your trash on the road for pick up Saturday morning. I will also have trash bags available on my cart.
Tammy Peterson will have bags for those North of the Palapa

If anyone has suggestions or can provide additional assistance please contact me
We are also looking for someone to ride a cart up and down to offer water and trash bags
If you have gloves or Mosquito Spray plese bring them

At a date to be announced we will be going North from Capricorn to continue the Clean up

I appreciate in advance all of your help, Please notify me if you have any questions.

As a Team Lets Make this Work and Make a difference
Respectfully

Scott
610-4322
President NACNW

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
SATURDAY - 3 SEPTEMBER - PHASE TWO OF THE GREAT NORTH-ISLAND CLEAN-UP CAMPAIGN !

This time we'll clean from behind Journey's End, moving south to Capricorn.

ALL VOLUNTEERS ASSEMBLE - behind Journey's End

TIME - 8 AM

Bring - gloves, mosquito spray

Town Board will supply - Trucks/people & will pre-fog the area for mossies

Drinking water and snacks will be provided for all volunteers

Lunch arrangements to be announced.

LAST WEEK WAS FANTASTIC !! Let's do it again!

Volunteers from the Tres Cocos Area - contact Scott Harnish for information ...... 610-4322

Volunteers from the Bella Vista area northwards - Tammy Peterson is your contact - 610-0226

Volunteers from the areas north of Journey's End - contact Diane Campbell - 610-5118 / 226-5200

SEE YOU THERE !!!!!!

Best Regards -
The Clean Team

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The Belize Tourism Board, North Ambergris Caye & Middle Island Neighborhood Watch and the San Pedro Town Board launches cleanup campaign in Northern San Pedro

Belize City, Belize - August 31, 2011 - The Belize Tourism Board (BTB) partnered with the North Ambergris Caye & Middle Island Neighborhood Watch and the San Pedro Town Board (SPTB) launched the cleanup campaign of the northern part of the island. The work which began last Saturday was the culmination of dialogue with the three parties.

Over 250 55-gallon bags were filled and three large truckloads of garbage were collected from the roadside between the bridge and Capricorn Resort! This included a large amount of household garbage, construction waste, plastics, metals, and household appliances such as heaters, stoves and air conditioners.

Residents, students and tourism stakeholders commenced the cleanup at 6:00 am and were joined later in the morning by the BTB's Green Team. The newly established Green Team focuses on improving the operational efficiencies of the BTB offices with special emphasis on reduction of paper, water and energy consumption.

It also actively promotes reuse and recycling. According to Raymond Mossiah, Sustainable Tourism Officer at the BTB and head of the BTB Green Team, "Belize is a natural resourcebased tourism product. Pollution is not only visually offensive, but it is bad for the environment, ecosystems and residents. It can lead to the spread of diseases and the contamination of habitats, just to name a few. As a responsible tourism body we welcomed the opportunity to help beautify the destination that accounts for approximately 45% of revenues generated by the accommodation sector."

Diane Campbell of the Middle Island Neighborhood Watch comments, "It is great to see residents take pride in this beautiful island. This area was long overdue for a cleanup of this magnitude and we applaud the effort of everyone involved."

The work continues this Saturday where the team will focus on the area from Capricorn Resort to Journey's End. In addition, the SPTB will also establish weekly garbage pickup of thrash on north Ambergris Caye. Mr. Severo Guerrero noted "We invite other members of the community to keep Ambergris Caye clean and dispose of garbage in the appropriate manner. This means residents, developers and visitors as well."

Diane, I happen to think these efforts are one of the best things to happen since sliced bread. Although we're in SACNW I'm more than willing to volunteer on the North pickups when we're there.

R
R
Bear, you are absolute correct. Last winter I had several comments by my guests and others about the trash on the beach. It pained me that trash was a stain on an otherwise enjoyable stay. I explained it away as we were on a leeward shore. Tammy Peterson graciously arranged a cleanup which I participated in and I think 160 bags of trash where picked up. More importantly after the cleanup when the situation became more manageable I and others would carry a small trash bag on our morning walks and pick up the few pieces that were found on our stretch of the beach. The result was a trash free environment until I left in May.

This should have happened before the beginning of our tourist season and everyone would have been better off. More importantly I and I hope others decided that next year (this fall when I return) it will be different. From day one I and hopefully others will start picking up the pieces of trash before it becomes a herculean task. This is very important for the well being and financial security of everyone with a stake on this Island. In addition it is important to set a good example both to tourist and locals to continue this important endeavor.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
Its extremely useful to identify the type of trash. info like, local or not local,name of product/manufacturer etc.
The Project AWARE Clean-up folks have a form to file for ID of Trash collected.
The data is used to change products causing problems or establish/adjust deposits on empty returns.
A large part of the washed up trash on the beach is from local source, I would love to blame some other country for dumping into the sea but truth is Belizeans have poor litter habits. Crystal water bags and bottles , Belican bottles , oil cans from the fuel dock and Styrofoam lunch boxes are just from piggy behaviour!

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Originally Posted by elbert
Its extremely useful to identify the type of trash. info like, local or not local,name of product/manufacturer etc.
The Project AWARE Clean-up folks have a form to file for ID of Trash collected.
The data is used to change products causing problems or establish/adjust deposits on empty returns.
A large part of the washed up trash on the beach is from local source, I would love to blame some other country for dumping into the sea but truth is Belizeans have poor litter habits. Crystal water bags and bottles , Belican bottles , oil cans from the fuel dock and Styrofoam lunch boxes are just from piggy behaviour!

Spot on Elbert. I echoed your sentiments in another post somewhere. The "ain't no more let it hit the floor" conditioning is pretty bad. I've been in on a trash data colation session. It's amazing once its orgainzed to start throwing up pie charts for people to actually see the compositon and source.

Last edited by Bear; 09/03/11 01:59 PM.
100% of the road trash is locally generated - that is for sure.

Today's road-trash pickup could be clustered into the following general categories:

Old "everything" from the time before the road, when the custom was to make a pile "to the back".

Household goods - appliances, bikes, baby strollers, bits of furntiure.

Household garbage - Bottles, cans, plastic containers papers, etc in areas that clearly have become dumpsites over a period of time.

Daily Road litter - beverage bottles and white lunch containers.

Construction type debris - rusted metal, water heaters (lots of those) propane tanks, rebar, metal roofing.

Logs, trees, palm fronds, garden clippings.

Today we collected four truckloads. Four.

Details follow after I've rehydrated for a while.

PS - a crew also addressed the beach from Journey's End to Capricorn. The usual debris, and lots of it - bottles, shoes, shampoo containers, buckets, plastic bags.

S
S
No doll parts? That's a common find

Originally Posted by SP Daily
No doll parts? That's a common find
re-cycled, re-used or else they crawled off on their own to re-unite...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.