Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
The Belize National Song Competition for 2011 is a joint effort by the The National Celebrations Commission,The Institute of Creative Arts and the Belize Tourism Board.

This is the third consecutive year the event is being held and we invite you to be a part of the selection process!

You are welcomed to browse through all of the above 4 categories of songs submitted to the 2011 National Song Competition. Please note that due to the number of entries submitted this year, we had to hold a preliminary judging to select Which songs will actually be in the competition.

The competing songs are under the categories: Carnival, Patriotic and Junior. You may vote once for all of the songs you like best. If you have a valid an constructive comment to share on a particular song or artist, you may do so at the bottom of each page. We also encourage you to use the facebook share at the top of each page to share your favorite songs.

You are allowed to vote once for each song in the Patriotic, carnival and junior categories.

So listen to them all and cast your vote on the ones you like.

Now browse, listen, vote, comment, share and enjoy!

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The National Celebrations Committee has released the list of finalists for this year's National Song Competition. The selection was made from over forty entries. Communications Officer for the National Institute of Culture and History, NICH, Shari Williams stated that NICH had to put together a panel comprising of seasoned musicians, some carnival enthusiasts, media personnel and other music lovers to sit down and look at vocal quality, audience appeal and categories.

The panel came up with 10 finalists in the patriotic category, 10 finalists in the carnival category and four junior entries. Finalists include Roberto Hoare "Captain Roby", Silias Sabal, Denis Requena, Denise Castillo, Austin Waight, Joe Lawrence, Mello Player, Jim Duncan, Jamie Humes and Shanelle Sutherland - for the patriotic finalists.

For the carnival finalists there is Positive Vibes, Boss Lady, the Real McKoy, Ernestine Carballo, Berne Velasquez, Floyd Locayo, Leslie Jenkins and TR Burgess, Super G Martinez, Deena Arnold and Raquel Requena. For junior category there is Shawn Saldano, Tara Gill, Destiny Youth Singers and Anita Perez.

"This year I have to say that the panelists were very impressed with the quality of songs that were sent in and it was a very tough decision for them to short list," stated Shari Williams to Love FM News. "People can vote, listen to their favorite song and vote at the website www.mynationalsong.bz go ahead and listen to your songs and vote for your favorite. There is a small percentage that's going to go from audience appeal and of course this year we are going to choose a carnival road march song, this is the song people love the most and of course it has to be a carnival song."

The concert and finals will be held on Saturday night, August 20,2011, at the Memorial Park in Belize City at 7p.m.

Click here to visit the National Song Competition Website, Listen to all the great entries and VOTE for your favorite. Start the Jump Up, Belize!

Ambergris Today

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Song Competition In Top Form

Right about now at the memorial park the 2011 September Celebrations Song Competition is starting up. The event features 24 artists with 24 new songs that all want to be the patriotic or celebration song of this year's September.

Shari Williams of NICH told us more:

Shari Williams - Communications Officer, NICH
"We have it organized in such a way that it's going to be smooth sailing, one after the other, hence the reason why we couldn't have 40 performances. That is why we had to cut down to 24, but I anticipate a night filled with a lot of dancing and cheering. We understand that people from out-districts are bringing buses to cheer on their favorites. So we invite everybody to come out. We're looking at Supa G - first time he's participating, and we are excited about that. We have Berne, Ernestine Carballo, Shanelle - a new comer named Shannelly - Boss Lady, Gareef Valentine - for Carnival Alone. And then for Patriotic, we have whole different 10. We have Silas, who is the reigning champ from last year. He's coming to defending his title with a new song, and a whole new line up."

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

2 BIG WINNERS AT 2011 SONG COMPETITION

Some of Belize's best performing artists were decked out in the country's national colors last Friday evening, at the Memorial Park 'belting out' some of the hippest, catchiest original tunes of the decade, as they competed alongside less known artists in the 2011 National Song Competition. 24 artists competed in one of three featured categories, which included a Junior , Senior Patriotic and Senior Carnival song competition. At the end of the almost five hour contest, it was crowd favorite and pleaser, Ernestine Carballo who revved up the crowd, with the big win of the night, the number one Carnival song: "Carnival is Here"!. And, Carballo's hit song couldn't have come at a more appropriate time! Just in time to set the mood and the pace, for this Saturday's Carnival Road march.

Ernestine Carballo
"I did it for my Belizean people, because I believe that everything you do, you do with the best of your ability, and I believe that every song I write it has to have some kind of relation with whatever life story or whatever people are going through, in your life or whatever situation, from the young to the granny has to relate and has to be happy and has to rejoice, and I am doing this for Belize because I really want to take Belize on a different level on the map. I feel truly bless and I feel from the bottom of my heart, I am very grateful because, you know Jules, it's not now that I am working it's from last year straight through, with all the carnival bands. I went all the way to Chetumal. I went all over the place with all the carnival mass camps to make sure they practice the steps and train them. I got my choreography together with my dancers from Mother Nature; I found time every single day every weekend to practice with the singers. I put in a lot of work every time. I had to do over the song, actually two times because my producer Kendal Simpson had to go to Miami, so I had to wait on her and when she came back, I had to do it all over, so it's like a lot of work and a lot of finance. I spent like over three thousand dollars. It's a lot of work and I am grateful that my hard work has truly paid off."

Another big winner in this year's Song Competition is little less known, Jamie Humes who won first place in the Patriotic Senior song competition beating out second place Captain Roby and 3rd place winner Nello Player. Humes says while he appreciates that his "Dis Da Fu We" original is not the most traditional of patriotic songs, he wasn't surprised at all about his big upset!

Jamie Humes
"With writing my songs I usually tend to use parables in then like you say it's a modern, postmodern thing and that's where the parables come into to playing with our history and that what I played alone with, including the history in the song."

Jules Vasquez
"Now you knew that you were doing an unconventional song and that no one would pick Jamie for a patriotic song - singer. Are you surprised that you still won?"

Jamie Humes
"I don't want to sound full of myself, but I am not surprised because the genre and everything was coming different. It is all about being different right now."

Jules Vasquez
"So explain to me, what specifically you want people to think, to hear, to feel when they hear your patriotic song?"

Jamie Humes
"The pride with in it, the pride and the message and the time that I took, and not even my song you know, because the other song were good as well, and I would like people to take the time out to and listen to their songs as well."

Other winners in this year's Song Competition include, Anika Perez who won the Junior Category with "21st of September", and Tara Gill placing second with "Give me Back my Sweet Belize". In the Carnival Senior competition, Supa G placed second with his latest release "Jump Jump", and Leslie "Bastic" Jenkins placed third with his song "Our Anniversary".

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Winners of National Song Competition

Some of Belize's best performing artists were decked out in the country's national colors Friday, August 23, 2011, at the Memorial Park 'belting out' some of the hippest, catchiest original tunes of the decade, as they competed alongside less known artists in the 2011 National Song Competition.

Twenty-four competed in one of three featured categories, which included a Junior, Senior Patriotic and Senior Carnival song competition. At the end of the almost five hour contest, it was crowd favorite and pleaser, Ernestine Carballo who revved up the crowd, with the big win of the night, the number one Carnival song: "Carnival is Here"!
Below are the results:

Carnival Senior Competition:
1st Place - Ernestine Carballo - "Carnival is Here" - Won $4,000 + Trophy
2nd Place - Supa G - "Jump Jump" - Won $2,500 + trophy
3rd Place - Leslie "Bastic" Jenkins - "Our Anniversary" - Wont$1,500 + Trophy

Patriotic Senior Competition:

1st Place - Jamie Humes - "Dis Da Fu We" - Won $4,000 + Trophy
2nd Place - Roberto Hoare "Captain Roby" - "Welcome to Belize" - Won $2,500 + Trophy
3rd Place - Nello Player - "How Can I Leave" - Won $1,500 + Trophy

Junior Song Competion:
1st Place - Anika Perez - "21st of September"
2nd Place - Tara Gill - "Sweet Belize"

All the prize packages included a two hundred dollars gift certificate for studio recording time at Ludwig Productions.
Click here to listen to the songs

Ambergris Today

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.