Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
This afternoon at 4:00 at the FFB Stadium in Belmopan - there was a major regional showdown as Belize played Guatemala in a world cup qualifier.

It was Belize's first FIFA game on its home field - and it was against, of all teams, Guatemala.

The stadium was full to capacity as Belizeans crowded in - even on a weekday - to see their home boys play. Belize played a solid game, in the end though, Guatemala emerged victorious with a final score of two to one. It is Belize's first loss after four games in its world cup qualifier series. After the game, We spoke with the man who scored the only goal for Belize Deon Macauley who has raked up an incredible 8 goals in the four world cup qualifiers.

Our team is just back from Belmopan , so we air those interviews unedited.

Deon McCauley, Forward, National Football Team
"It was excellent because it is a big home game and we need to win this game or at least draw but we come out unsuccessful but we will try harder next time and hopefully we come out with the big win when we go play Guatemala in October."

Reporter
"You all seem to be constructing better attacks after the Danny Jimenez and Victor Moralez - like the chemistry was working better. You were playing a faster ball."

Deon McCauley, Forward, National Football Team
"Well those guys are younger and that's why we needed the game. I feel that if they had started the game it would have been a different game but that's the decision of the coach and I am just happy that the fans came out to support us even though we lost but hopefully we do better next game."

Reporter
"So you think there might be a different starting 11 the next game and that might make a difference?"

Deon McCauley
"Well I think there will be a different 11, but like I said that depends on the coach and what he decides. He is the person that demands and if he puts an eleven out there that is the eleven that is going to play."

Reporter
"But you all will come out to win next game?"

Deon McCauley
"Well of course we can't sit back and expect to win. We have to take the game in Guatemala and throw everything at them because that game will be key in disqualifiers."

Reporter
"You will access all errors you all made today and correct them for next game?"

Deon McCauley
"Well surely we will try our best."

Reporter
"Ok good luck."

Deon McCauley
"Thanks."

Reporter
"Ian, tell us what you feel about the outcome of this game?"

Ian Gaynair, Defense, National Team
"I feel really disappointed. I feel like we just let down our fans, just let down everybody and Belize because this game that we should at least come out with a draw. We and Guatemala could have tied 1-1 - have 4 points apiece."

Reporter
"I saw you all dominating play a lot better in the second half."

Ian Gaynair, Defense, National Team
"We have to fight because we already see that we were down and they were up and so we have to fight to try and get back in the game but I think we fight too late to get back in the game. The way that we play second half - we need to start the game just like that and fight to the end."

Reporter
"Well now that you have that attitude I think the game in Guatemala will be totally different."

Ian Gaynair
"It will be totally different because it's the two of us that will fight for this first place because we want to go in the next round too and make Belize proud."

Reporter
"Good luck."

Ian Gaynair
"Thanks."

Reporter
"How you feel about the outcome of this game. I saw that you got a lot of shots at goal."

Harrison Roches, Forward, National Team
"Well first of all I have to thank the almighty God that we come through this game. It was a difficult game for us but we have to live with it because it already happen. We never really expected to lose home to as well because we were motivated from the last two games that we played outside and win. We have to lift up our heads high and work towards the other game that is coming."

Reporter
"I saw that you guys were constructing better attacks in the second half after the coach substituted Danny Jim Jimenez and Victor Moralez into the game."

Harrison Roches, Forward, National Team
"Danny is a more offensive player. He came in and did his part, we work out in that kind of way too and we expect that from the other guys in the first half but what happen is that Guatemala were pressuring us too much and we didn't have much space and in the second half the coach told us to attack more and when he made those changes - the players that came in was offensive players."

Reporter
"It was a faster level of play."

Harrison Roches
"Yes and that is our style of ball. The coach always tells us that that is our game - the faster game and thankfully got that brake and he finish too and we were trying to get back but it was too late."

Reporter
"That second shot drain outside the post."

Harrison Roches
"Unluckily it never went in but that a part of the game - we just have to work towards the other game and lift our heads up high because we got more game and we definitely could qualify."

Reporter
"You guys have demonstrated that you have the skills to win and so if you all go all out do you think you will win in Guatemala?"

Harrison Roches
"Yes I have my hopes high that we can do it. We have the team here and all we need is the chemistry together as team because we still don't play as a team but we are getting there slowly. Hopefully up in the upper stage we are playing more together - we can get that chemistry so that we can bring out the best of us together."

Reporter
"You all have to play St. Vincent and you have to play Grenada again before you all meet Guatemala again right."

Harrison Roches
"Yes that supposed to give us more confidence playing together as a team because like we playing together - that gives us more chance of knowing each other. That is football as playing and getting to know each other on the field so that we can come out victoriously."

Reporter
"So you all are looking forward for the next two games and re-match in Guatemala?"

Harrison Roches
"That is the objective right now. I am going back to training and hopefully next week the guys are coming back here and prepare mentally and get ready for the other few upcoming games."

Belize next plays St. Vincent in October.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Guatemala wins Game 1 of 2 against Belize in Football series

Just before the newscast, the anticipated game between Belize and Guatemala ended in Belmopan. All eyes were on the Belize National team at the Football Federation of Belize stadium as it took on neighboring rivals from Guatemala. Expectations were running high and there was impressive support for the local boys. Hundreds of Belizeans turned out at the stadium waving their flags with nationalist fervor. Going into the historic game, Belize's standing was high in World Cup football, having already beaten Montserrat and Grenada but for Belize, Guatemala was the team to beat. Five minutes into the game, Guatemala penetrated the Belize goal post and secured its first goal. Goalkeeper Shane Orio thwarted the second, third and many other attempts. The national team played defensively against attempts by Guatemala to control the game. The Guats played fast and furious. At the end of the first half, the score was Guatemala one, Belize nil. The stats at the half showed that Belize had five fouls, six attempts goal kicks and three corners. The second half got underway with more close calls. Guatemala scored once more before Deon McCauley scored the first and only goal for Belize. As the clocked ticked, the game ended two-one in favor of Guatemala. Sportcaster James Adderley wrapped up the coverage with highlights of the first of the two part series.

James Adderley

James Adderley & Leonard Ysaguirre

"The F.F.B. Stadium, team Belize3 has lost 2 -1 to Guatemala. And I can tell you that indeed it was a very strange came. In the opening moments of the game, at the fifth minute, this corner kick found the head of the captain Cabrera and it was a 1-nil lead and for a long time Belize was unable to recover from this particular goal that was scored on them. As we continue to look at what transpired in this ballgame, this is another opportunity for Belize, but it won't be good enough as it was blocked by the defensive player from Guatemala. Again Belize ahs no reason to keep its head down. Here is the second goal from Guatemala; it was Marvin Avila heading that ball and Maynor Lopez pushed it into the far side of the net for the 2-nil lead. However Belize never says die and immediately Belize was able to respond as Deon McCauley showed why he is the most important goal scorer in Belize at the moment coming up with this fantastic goal. His first touch was simply superb. His right foot placement was displaced the keeper and I am happy that we were able to get on the scoreboard and after that Belize certainly had many opportunities to get the equalizer, but unfortunately they were unable to come up with it Leonard so in the end we lose 2-1. Your take."

Leonard Ysaguirre

"Pretty much what you said except that I thought that we were our own worse enemy as we created the situations which came about that caused the goal. The corner kick that caught us flatfooted was early in the ballgame and as I said before we weren't as focused as we should have been. A couple of guys backs were turned to the play as the corner was kicked. As a result the goal was scored without any contest. Guatemalan players getting a foot on the ball from the corner to the deflection to who kicked it in�"

James Adderley

"They took too long to settle down. We were not focused on that corner kick and that was the goal that really had us on our back heel the entire ballgame."

Leonard Ysaguirre

"We had quite a few moments where we showed a few gitters-bad passes, consistent bad passes as a result of maybe trying to be too cool and trying to make too close a pass. A lot of them at the end of the game because of desperation and trying to do too much, they didn't go where they should have gone and I think that taxed the strikers; primarily Kafu Roches, who had to do a lot of running to recover. He if you noted was able to contest the ball against the defense and came up with it several times."

James Adderley

"I thought the fumbles were more pronounces in the final ten minutes after McCauley scored that goal. We had enough offensive anxiety into the goal area of the Guatemala team, but we were unable to get the final touch and it certainly cost us the ballgame. We had them hanging on; they were obviously physically tired. They were about to concede another goal but we would not get it simply because we were unable to get the final touch."

Leonard Ysaguirre

"Well again that is one of the flaws in our game and I think that is something that we need to work on; how to put the finishing touch on the wall. As you can see Deon McCauley is def at. Kafu Roches again ahs the skill, but guys like Kuylen does show the ability form time to time. I think Vallan Simms and Dalton Eiley caused us some strain because they weren't able to make the right decision and make the right touch. It did not cost us necessarily at those instance in time, but constantly having to recover and chase down the ball took its toll on us and eventually you saw that easy goal in the 30th minute of the second half. That was as a result of fatigue James and a break down in our defense."

James Adderley

"Leonard, I want to go to our stats man, Sheppard. You want to give us as far as what you tabulated as far as the statistical analysis goes?"

Shepherd

Mister Shepherd, Stats man

"James I must say that I am not happy with the amount but I will take the 2-1 defeat. Deep inside my heart is crying but I am still smiling. We dominated the entire second half; the Guatemalan team was fatigue, they were tired. Unfortunately with that break there the big guy he got that goal. But apart from that James with the Guatemalan team it seems that when you are fatigued, you cause more foul. They had six foul in the second half while we only had two. When it comes to the kicks to the goal; we were more aggressive: we had nine kicks to the goal while they only had five. Coming down to the throw-ins, we had seven throw-ins while they only had six. Corner kicks they dominated that one; they had four meanwhile we only had three. James on a brief summary of the entire game, we played excellent. We played to win, it didn't happen. The lion's den has been opened on the Guatemalan side; we now enter."

James Adderley

"Shep, you are saying the same thing my partner in crime Leonard Ysaguirre said. We had this game, we took control in the second half, but we lacked the finishing touches."

Mister Sheppard

"What a game James. All I can say, what a game."

Channel 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (dabunk), 276 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.