This morning fisherman Raul Avila and three of his colleagues had to be rescued at sea.

They didn't have any kind of engine failure; they were robbed and tied up at their fishing camp which is at Middle Long Caye. Avila was rescued by a passing boater who he flagged down. He told us about his early morning ordeal when he arrived at the Raccoon street Police station.

Raul Avila, Fisherman
"Well, this morning we got up and were trying to make tea."

Jules Vasquez
"Around what time?"

Raul Avila, Fisherman
"Around 6:30, and then these three guys came out of the bushes and told us to get on our belly and tied us up."

Jules Vasquez
"Did they have firearm?"

Raul Avila, Fisherman
"Yes, the old man said he saw and A.K. something and a small hand gun."

Jules Vasquez
"Now you all are at a fishing camp, what kind of valuables could you have there, that they tied you up and all of that?"

Raul Avila, Fisherman
"Lobster, we had about 100lbs of lobster."

Jules Vasquez
"They stole the lobster?"

Raul Avila, Fisherman
"They took it yes."

Jules Vasquez
"Now, how did you all escaped?"

Raul Avila, Fisherman
"No, they didn't tie us up too well, because they tied us with our hands at the back with a piece of wire that they found around the place and they just tied us up, but we got loose quick. But by that time they were already gone, they took our boats."

Jules Vasquez
"Now how many years have you been using this fishing camp and had something like this ever happened before."

Raul Avila, Fisherman
"About 30 to 40 years."

Jules Vasquez
"Has something like this ever happened?"

Raul Avila, Fisherman
"No never happened."

Jules Vasquez
"You don't seem much shaken up."

Raul Avila, Fisherman
"No they didn't hurt us, thank God, they just tied us up."

Jules Vasquez
"So now it's a major setback for you. You lost your catch and you've lost your motor."

Raul Avila, Fisherman
"I don't know where I will get another 60 motor because I am broke."

He noted also that the robbers wore heavy boots - not the kind of apparel used by Fisherfolk.

Channel 7