Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Hon._George_Cadle_Price_addressing_the_UN.jpg
The Right Honourable George Cadle Price
Hon. George Cadle Price addressing the UN
Other images in post
Image Details
Poster Marty Online   happy
Posted 09/20/11 03:02 AM
Description
By PATRICK E. JONES

BELIZE CITY (AP) — Belize's founding father and first prime minister, George Price, died early Monday, just short of three decades since he led the small Central American nation to independence. He was 92.

Price died at the Belize Healthcare Partners Hospital in Belize City, said a grand nephew, Henry Charles Usher. He was hospitalized Wednesday after a fall at his Belize City home and put in a medically induced coma following surgery to remove a blood clot.

Prime Minister Dean Barrow declared a week of mourning lasting until Sept. 26.

Price was Belize's first leader when it became independent from Britain on Sept. 21, 1981. As head of the centrist People's United Party, he served two terms as prime minister, in 1981-84 and 1989-1993, and is considered the father of the Caribbean country of about 300,000 people that borders Mexico and Guatemala.

Belize is on the Central American mainland but maintains closer cultural ties with other English-speaking former British colonies in the Caribbean than with its Spanish-speaking neighbors.
In a message broadcast to the nation, the current prime minister called Price "a giant of a man, the greatest architect of Belizean nationalism and Belizean sovereignty."

The government and Price's family planned a state funeral for next Monday, Barrow said. Until then, flags in Belize will be flown at half staff, except for Independence Day on Wednesday.

"On behalf of a grateful nation to which Mr. Price devoted his entire life, I offer condolences to his immediate and extended family and to the People's United Party," Barrow said.

Dimensions 232x324
Size 7.19 KB
UBBCode
Thumbnail
Medium
Full

Comments
#416617 - 09/20/11 03:22 AM Re: The Right Honourable George Cadle Price [Re: Marty]
Diane Campbell Offline
A monumental passing.
A great and good man.

#416626 - 09/20/11 01:27 PM Re: The Right Honourable George Cadle Price [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

#416631 - 09/20/11 02:05 PM Re: The Right Honourable George Cadle Price [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy
TRIBUTES COME IN ON DEATH OF FORMER PRIME MINISTER

Tributes have been pouring in for the fallen leader from Belizeans at home and abroad. The United Democratic Party issued a condolence statement saying, “Like the rest of the nation, we are saddened by his death, but amidst the national mourning, we join in commemorating his great achievements for the Nation of Belize, which are especially remembered during this season of national celebrations.” The University of Belize in its statement on the death of the former Prime Minister said and that The Rt. Hon. George Price was a gentle giant was among the Caribbean pioneers who championed political independence in their respective Caribbean territories. The UB statement ends by saying, “the Rt. Hon. George Cadle Price, gone but will never be forgotten. May this nation hero of the peaceful constructive revolution rest in peace and rise in glory!” The National Institute of Culture and History in its statement remembers Mr. Price as pioneer in the truest sense of the word. The statement says, “as a citizen of Belize Mr. Price was an example of the patriotism and civic pride which he believed should be manifest in every Belizean.” Freetown area representative Francis Fonseca, in his statement said, that Mr. Price was, “a man of deep abiding faith and we wish him eternal peace and glory in God’s Kingdom.” Saint John’s College in a statement today said that the administration along with the college’s president and board or trustees, expressed its deepest sorry at this time of immense loss for our nation with the passing of the Rt. Hon. George Price. And Independent Mayoral Candidate in San Pedro Melanie Paz in a statement said, “now is the time to reflect on his achievements and his contributions to Belize.”

LOVEFM

--------------------

BELIZE MOURNS PASSING OF NATIONAL HERO AND FORMER PRIME MINISTER GEORGE PRICE

Former two-time Prime Minister of Belize Rt. Honorable George Price has died. The ninety two year old statesman and Leader Emeritus of the People’s United Party died around six thirty this morning at the Belize Healthcare Partners Hospital. He had been hospitalized since Wednesday of last week, after he suffered a fall at his home on Pickstock Street in Belize City. Today, Prime Minister Dean Barrow announced a period of mourning, leading up to Mr. Price’s burial on Monday of next week.

Prime Minister Dean Barrow
“With profound regret, the Government of Belize announces the death of the Right Honourable George Price, National Hero and Father of Belizean Independence. Mr., Price died around 6:30 a.m. today, Monday, September 19th, 2011. A diplomatic note goes out this morning to inform the world of Mr. Price’s passing. The Government of Belize in conjunction with Mr, price’s family in making arrangements for a state funeral to take place on Monday, September 26th. As well, books of condolence in which tributes can be inscribed, will be opened today in Belmopan and Belize City. An official period of mourning begins now and flags will be flown at half mast right through to September 26th, with the exception of Independence Day. Additional details concerning the funeral ceremony and the burial of the National Hero will be released as soon as they are finalized. On behalf of a grateful nation to which Mr. Price devoted his entire life, I offer condolences to his immediate and extended family and to the People’s United Party. This was a giant of a man, the greatest architect of Belizean nationalism and Belizean sovereignty. May he rest in peace.”

Meanwhile Leader of the Opposition John Briceno shared his thoughts with our northern based reporter Manuela Ayuso Cantun.

John Briceno – Leader of the Opposition “Mr. Price as he fondly called, the Father of the Nation was a man who did a lot for this country; he gave his entire life for Belize. From the time he started the nationalist movement in 1950 he never stopped working for Belize every single day of his life. But at the same time whilst we are saddened by his death, I think it is time for us to celebrate what he stood for. Mr. Price was one of the first to coined, “all a wi da one”, that we are all Belizeans. You know our colonial masters was very skilful in dividing us and say the Hispanics or the Mestizoes in the North, the Garifunas in the South, the Creoles in Belize City but Mr Price was the one that started to forge the idea of a national identity, that we are all Belizeans, that we are all one, that we are all equal and started to forge an idea of a new nation in Central America and the Caribbean, a nation, a sovereign nation, an independent nation, a nation where its people can be proud of its accomplishments. So we need to celebrate what he stood for; the humility that he had in public service, he was the best example that one can see. I am sure that he must be looking at us from Heaven, he was a very spiritual man, Catholic and I am sure he is in the other world that the Lord promised all of us. I am sure he must be looking at us and wondering what is the big deal because he was such a humble person but it is a big deal for us, he’s the Father of the nation, there will never be another George Price, and that we are going to be eternally grateful for all the unselfish work that he did and he gave to this country known as Belize.”

LOVEFM

Edited by Marty (09/20/11 02:05 PM)

#416634 - 09/20/11 02:15 PM Re: The Right Honourable George Cadle Price [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

Price Passes: Because Of Him, Belize

Almost exactly 61 years ago - on September 29, 1950, on a Belize city night like this one, George Price and others including Leigh Richardson and Phillip Goldson met at his family home on Pickstock street to form the People's United Party.

That single frame of time - and all that followed - came to define what we all know as modern Belize. The architect throughout was George Price - and tonight, he has passed on at the age of 92.

The father of the nation - as even the UDP Prime Minister Dean Barrow had come to call him -died early this morning at the BHPL Hospital.

His legend is so sprawling, his accomplishments so immense that there is no tidy summation, no concise epitaph that we can offer: Price formed the nation and molded its political culture; "Because of him, Belize" - perhaps that is as simply as it can be put. Today, we walked around his towering legend, and examined his contribution with input from some senior political personalities:

Jules Vasquez Reporting
Five days after he was hospitalized - former Prime Minister George Price died at the Belize Healthcare Partners at 6:30 this morning.

Today, political leaders from both sides of the divide spoke on the pre-eminence of this singular figure in Belizean history:

Hon. John Briceno, PUP Leader
"One of the many important achievements of Mr. Price was the whole idea of identity as a Belizean whereby he successfully fought our colonial masters in how they were dividing us as a people. There are the Mestizos in the North, the Creoles in Belize City and the Garifuna in the South. He was one of the first leaders that started to talk about Belize as 'We are all one we are all Belizeans.'"

Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister
"Well Jules, he clearly was the apostle of Belizean nationalism. I think the foremost architect of Belizean identity. You know at the forum that we had last week I reflected on the fact that the singular devotion that he brought to the business of leading the country is clearly unequal and so he is a giant among Belizeans. He has to be the person who has made the most indelible mark on modern day Belizean history."

Hon. Francis Fonseca
"When I think of George Price those are the two words that come to mind; service and humility. He obviously gave his entire life to Belize. I think a lot of you know that Mr. Price really wanted to be a Jesuit priest, he really wanted to be a priest and I think when circumstances prevented him. hurricane and other things, his family, his father got ill. When those things happened, circumstances pushed him in another direction and he in a way found his calling in politics and he lived those values of a Jesuit priest in his politics and that's why I think we remember him for his service and for his humility because those are really the marks of a priest: service, humility, complete commitment of yourself to your country. He didn't have an immediate family, so his family was our nation."

Such a special figure that - a former adversary Michael Finnegan recited a poem for the Father Of The Nation:

Hon. Michael Finnegan
"O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done;
The ship has weathered every rock, the prize we sought
is won.
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all
exulting,
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim
and daring;

But O heart! heart! heart!
Leave you not the little spot,
Where on the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.

O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the
bells;
Rise up-for you the flag is flung-for you the
bugle trills;
For you bouquets and ribboned wreaths-for you
the shores a-crowding;
For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager
faces turning;

Here Captain! here Father of the Nation!
This arm I push beneath you;
It is some dream that on the deck
You've fallen cold and dead.

My captain does not answer, his lips are pale and
still,
The Father of the Nation cannot not feel my arm, he has no pulse
nor will;
But the ship, the ship, is anchored safe, its voyage
closed and done;
From fearful trip, the victor ship comes in with
object won.

Exult O shore, and ring O bells!
But I with mournful tread
Walk the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead."

And while Finnegan was moved to a piece of verse he first learned in his childhood - others recounted stories from their own childhood:

"There are many things that I learned from George Price and just this morning I was sharing that I remember when I was in Standard 5, when Mr. Price went to visit Orange Walk in one of his meetings he was having dinner and I had the opportunity to sit around the same table with Mr. Price and I remember his looking at me and started to speak in Spanish and he asked me if I knew how to speak Spanish and I said yes, and he told me that it is important to learn two different languages. He said that we have a unique opportunity in Belize because English is our first language but we need to recognize that we are surrounded by Spanish speaking countries; Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and there are millions of people and he said that it is important for us as a nation to be able to speak Spanish because the future of Belize lies with the Caribbean, but also with Central America. That is a story that I will never forget because here is this man that is about to lead this country into Independence and speaking to me as an eleven year boy."

Hon. Francis Fonseca
"On the personal side for me, I remember the private conservations. I've been around Mr. Price since I was 14. I remember spending time at the Belize Times with him working with him there, folding papers with him there as a young boy, working with him, and sharing meals together. I remember sitting in his home, talking to him about the work that he did over the last 50 years. Those are the memories that I will cherish - the private conversations; the private memories."

"When Mr. Price was first taken to the districts in 1955 and he was taken to Trinidad village in the Orange Walk District, of course there were no roads, they went in a little picado to a horse. And Don Chicho Urbina was telling me he was taking him and when he took him to the village and he pointed out that this is Mr. Price - all the villagers were shocked, they said, 'This is the Mr. Price that is going to lead us for our Independence?' 'This is the man that is going to get the British out of Belize?' They thought that Mr. Price was this giant; strong and very forceful, but here was this humble person, tall but slender in body, soft spoken but with that sense of humility and service to the people. Mr. Price managed to achieve Independence."

Independence and nationhood were his major accomplishments - but the vision and the perseverance to get there were probably his most important traits - according to his biographer Godfrey Smith:

Godfrey Smith, Price Biographer
"It is my belief - my conviction that he has been the only leader, the only political figure in Belize who has truly offered up a vision backed by conviction and determination and actually produced results."

"In terms of his personal traits, first of all there was the fact that he never married, he never had a family and so as I said he was singularly devoted to politics. That was his life work, that was his mission. Nobody else then and nobody else certainly now found themselves in that set of circumstances. Again, the fact that he really saw himself as the Father of the Nation even before Independence and acted that out. He was the politician that most tried to be in touch with regular folks including in the remotest, in most inaccessible villages of our country. This business of George Price in some Mayan hut sharing something from the common pot is indelibly etched in all our memories."

"Certainly I think the first thing is that he had a very clear vision as to where he wanted to take Belize. He wanted an independent Belize. But also that dedication, that full 100% of everything that he was doing, was to be able to reach to that achievement of Independence. Another issue was his ability to work with people - this humility, the way that he would go about speaking to people. He had that ability to bring people together and to be always this humble person that is prepared to listen not only to the Kings and Prime Ministers and Presidents but even to the man on the street, to the campesino in the districts, in their farms."

And while Price had the common touch - what is it that molded this iconic figure, how is that he arrived at that particular juncture in history to birth the nationalist movement and father independence? For his biographer, it is a riddle:

"Looking at the man he was prior to his rise to prominence in politics. What you had was a less than average student, a less than average scholastic career. In other words the man was usually near the bottom of his class rather than even at the middle. He did not complete his studies to be a priest and he was the apprentice to one of the most ruthless capitalists in the history of this country - one would say based on that - that is less than adequate preparation, or perhaps with that kind of history one could hardly expect - as you are alluding to - that he would end up being the Father of the Nation, one of the most convicted and determined politicians to lead the fight against colonialism and to independence."

Jules Vasquez
"But history brought him to a certain moment, where some people arrive at that moment and they retreat. Without any disrespect whatsoever, Leigh Richardson, for example left the country and went to live in another country. He was a political prisoner having served time for sedition...as did John Smith who left. So, certain people arrive at a juncture in history and they retreat or they fail. Mr. Price was brought to that juncture and delivered. What was it about him that made him arrive and grasp it?"

"In two words; uncommon discipline. As you adverted to earlier, Price was never married, never had a romantic liaison, and was celibate until his death by his own admission to me. His reason for that he said was because he didn't want anything to get in the way of his quest for self-government and Independence. He didn't want any family who would suffer if he got jail or something untoward that happened to him. So the answer to your question in my view, when man and moment met: the qualities that Price had in him that enabled him to act on that moment and eventually triumph were his discipline, his vision, his courage because he had courage."

And more than courage he had a singular personal style

"He lived as I said not the defiance of materialism, just the bare essentials: a radio, no television, no record player, no compact disc player. For most for his life no refrigerator, just keeping books and having no material attachment to anything."

"Another major lesson is that issue of humility whereby he has always served with this humility that to him - he was never pretentious - being well dressed or having expensive things were never important to him. What were important for him were his people and his country."

"One of course was struck by the complexity of George Price, the fact that he could speak in such apparently simple terms - could appear to be such a straightforward individual when we all knew that this was an individual who ran extremely deep. The way that he could pass himself off as I said as a simple individual when in fact there was no doubt that this was somebody possessed of a tremendous intellect, tremendous knowledge and learning. That was something that always struck me about him."

"One is clear that here was a man and you have to ask the question when comes such another? And the answer is never. It just can't happen again."

"Whenever we make decisions, we need to think back - what would Mr. Price do? How would he handle these problems because he met all sorts of problems when he started way back in 1950's."

We'll have a little more discussion about Price's contribution later on in the newscast. Funeral details have not been finalized, but here's what we know - and we stress, it is unofficial: There will be a state funeral for him on Monday September 26th, in Belmopan on the stairs of the National Assembly - possibly with some counterpart event following in the city.

He may be entombed at the family space at Lord Ridge Cemetery in the city, or possibly at the George Price Center in Belmopan. These are decisions his family is deliberating tonight, and as soon as they are finalized, we'll let you know. To provide a brief timeline of the events that led to his death: Price made his last major public appearance at the PUP National Convention in Dangriga 11 months ago. At the time he was showing the infirmity of old age - and had reportedly suffered his first fall - but he still gave a speech to the gathering.

His health has been falling since then and things took a dramatic downward turn last week Wednesday morning at 5:30 am when he fell in his bathroom. He received a major injury to his head and had to undergo surgery. He survived the procedure, but as we understand it, never regained consciousness and passed away.

Channel 7

#416635 - 09/20/11 02:17 PM Re: The Right Honourable George Cadle Price [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

Price Passing Elicits Outpouring Of Support

And as you might expect, there have been statements on the passing of the national hero coming from all over.

The family issued theirs early this morning: It is simple and says, in part:

"His sisters and the extended Price family thank the Nation for its continued prayers and support. Messages of condolence can be sent through the George Price Centre at email address info@gpcbelize.com." The UDP was the first organization to issue a statement:

It says: "we are saddened by his death…but we join un commemorating his great achievements for the Nation of Belize…." A statement was also issued by the government which says "the timing of his death served to reinforce in all our minds and hears his lasting achievement in the creation of the nation state called Belize."

A statement from the Prime Minister adds that a diplomatic note was sent out this morning to inform the world of his passing. The government release states that an official period of mourning begins now and flags will be flown at half-mast right through to September 26th with the exception of Independence Day."

Statements have also been sent out by the teachers union, The university of Belize, St. John's college, Galen University, the Mexican embassy and others. We will post them all.

BNTU RELEASE
On the Passing of our National Hero and Father of the Nation and Belize's Independence, the Rt. Hon. George Cadle Price.

The Council of Management of the Belize National Teachers' Union, on behalf of our members and educators throughout the country of Belize, records with great sadness, the passing of our National Hero and Father of our Nation, the Rt. Hon George Cadle Price today Monday, September 19, 2011.

The Belize National Teachers' Union, acknowledges and pays tribute and respect to the work and memory of Mr. Price for his commitment and service to the people and nation of Belize, which has touched and impacted all of our lives in many positives and meaningful ways. His sterling achievement was crowned with the achievement of our independence on 21st September, 1981 as a Sovereign nation with our territory intact.

His humility, many visits and personal touch to many of our communities and schools; to education, our children and the poor and working class, will forever be etched in our hearts and lives. His legacy of freedom, christian values and democracy will never be forgotten or erased.

We mourn with the nation and extend our heart-felt condolences to his immediate family and the Peoples United Party.

May His Soul Rest in Peace and Rise in Glory!

(BNTU Press Release)
September 19, 2011

EMBASSY OF MEXICO TO BELIZE
PRESS RELEASE No. 60
http://portal.sre.gob.mx/belice_eng/index.php

George Price

Belmopan, Belize, 19 September 2011.- The Embassy of Mexico expresses its deepest condolences to the Government, family and People of Belize for the loss of Right Honourable George Price.

The Government of Mexico and its Embassy in Belize join in this moment of sorrow to mourn the passing of the National Hero and Father of Belize's Independence.

Message from The George Price Centre for Peace and Development
Book of Condolence opened at the Centre

The members of the Executive Board and staff of The George Price Centre for Peace and Development join the Nation in mourning the loss of the Right Honourable George Price, Belize's first Premier, Prime Minister and National Hero.

A Book of Condolence has been opened at the Centre and all are invited to come in and convey a personal message through that medium. The Centre opens Monday through Friday from 8.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. Special opening hours for Independence Day and the upcoming weekend will be announced later.

We invite everyone to visit our website www.gpcbelize.com on which you can find information on the life and work of Mr. Price, listen to some of his speeches, view a picture gallery and even share your personal story. Messages could also be sent through our e-mail at info@gpcbelize.com

As we mourn the loss of the Father of Our Nation, let us be steadfast in remembering and continuing his life's mission: the peaceful development of Belize and its people.

May God Bless Belize.

Melanie "Mel" Paz
Independent Mayoral Candidate
San Pedro, Ambergris Caye

PRESS RELEASE 19th September 2011

For immediate release

Independent mayoral candidate Melanie Paz joins the national in mourning and in commemorating the life of the Father of our nation, cofounder of the Peoples United Party and former Prime Minister, the Right Honorable George Cadle Price. On the occasion of his passing, now is the time to reflect on his achievements and his contributions to Belize. I join the nation in five days of mourning and extend my deepest sympathy to the family, friends and the nation, may he rest in peace.

PEOPLE'S UNITED PARTY - FREETOWN DIVISION

Statement by the Hon. Francis Fonseca, PUP Freetown Area Representative, on the Passing of the Right Honourable George Cadle Price September 19, 2011 - On behalf of the Freetown Community, Area Representative, Francis Fonseca, wishes to record our profound sadness on the passing of the FATHER of the NATION, NATIONAL HERO and LEADER EMERITUS of the PEOPLE's UNITED PARTY, RT. HON. GEORGE CADLE PRICE which occurred in the early hours of September 19, 2011.

The Rt. Hon. George C. Price lived a life of service to his nation and people, leading us out of the dark days of colonialism and guiding us along the path of Self-Government toward an Independent and Free Belize.

We, in Freetown, like to believe we have a special claim on George Price as our former and first PUP Area Representative. Mr. Price touched the lives of many Freetown families and made lifelong friendships with longtime residents of the Old Kings Park Area which today still forms a part of the Freetown Constituency.

Today, we pray for Mr. Price, his family, our Party and our Nation. Mr. Price was a man of deep abiding faith and we wish him eternal peace and glory in God's Kingdom.

We shall mourn his loss with heavy hearts but we will celebrate his life and his enduring legacy of service and humility. It is our responsibility to carry on his work and to ensure that generations to come can appreciate the lessons of his simple yet distinguished life.

Press Release
The Galen University Board of Trustees, Administration, Faculty, Staff and Students extend sincerest condolences to the Price family and the entire Belizean Community on the passing of Rt. Hon. George Cadle Price, Father of the Nation, former Primer Minister and Leader Emeritus of the People's United Party (PUP).

May there be comfort in knowing that someone so special and important to the development of Belize will never be forgotten, and that his spirit will live on in the good deeds of the many generations of Belizeans to come.

May his soul Rest in Peace

University of Belize
Press Release
19 September 2011

It is with deep sadness that The Board of Trustees of the University of Belize, The Office of the President, Administration, Faculty, Staff, Students and the UB Family extend sincerest and deepest condolences to the family and to the nation of Belize on the passing of the "Father of the Nation" and National Hero, The Rt. Hon. George Cadle Price.

The Rt. Hon. Price, a gentle giant was among the Caribbean pioneers who championed political independence in their respective Caribbean territories. They included among others Hon. Grantley Adams and Hon. Errol Barrow of Barbados; Hon. Forbes Burnham and Hon. Cheddi Jagan of Guyana, Hon. Alexander Bustamante and Hon. Norman Manley of Jamaica, and Hon. Eric Williams of Trinidad and Tobago.

The Rt. Hon. Price was the last surviving member of that distinguished generation. For his contribution to the Caribbean Community, The Rt. Hon. Price was conferred with the Community's highest honour, the Order of the Caribbean Community at the Opening Ceremony of the Twelfth Inter-Sessional Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government of the Caribbean Community on February 14, 2001, Barbados.

The Rt. Hon. George Cadle Price, gone but will never be forgotten. May this nation hero of the peaceful constructive revolution rest in peace and rise in glory! God Bless.

BELIZE SUGAR CANE FARMERS ASSOCIATION
COMMITTEE OF MANAGEMENT
PRESS RELEASE

MESSAGE OF CONDOLENCE FROM THE CANE FARMERS OF BELIZE

IT IS WITH PROFOUND SADNESS AND DEEPEST REGRET THAT WE, THE 600O MEMBERS OF THE BELIZE SUGAR CANE FARMERS' ASSOCIATION EXPRESS OUR CONDOLENCES OVER THE PASSING OF THE FATHER OF OUR NATION, NATIONAL HERO, AND FIRST PRIME MINISTER OF BELIZE, THE RIGHT HONOURABLE GEORGE CADLE PRICE.

TO HIM WE OWE A DEBT OF GRATITUDE FOR HELPING US TO BECOME THE PROUD AND INDEPENDENT CANEROS THAT WE ARE TODAY. HE WAS THE ONE WHO STOOD UP FOR US IN THE NORTH IN THE LATE 1960'S AND NEGOTIATED WITH THE BIG LANDOWNERS TO RELEASE THEIR LANDS SO THAT THOUSANDS OF US COULD BECOME LANDONWERS AND THE SUCCESSFUL CANE FARMERS THAT WE ARE TODAY.

NOW AS WE CONTINUE THE JOURNEY TO BECOME OWNERS OF THE CANE PROCESSING OPERATIONS, WE ARE ISNPIRED AND GUIDED BY HIS SPIRIT OF CONCERN AND GENUINE ENCOURAGEMENT FOR THE PROGRESS AND ADVANCEMENT ALL CANEROS.

HE WAS TRULY A MAN FOR THE PEOPLE, TRULY THE LEADER OF OUR NATION, TRULY THE PROTECTOR OF THE POOR AND DOWNTRODDEN OF OUR SOCIETY. WE CANE FARMERS WILL SURELY MISS THIS GREAT MAN. THIS NATIONAL HERO OF BELIZE, THIS SHINING EXAMPLE OF CHRISTIAN LOVE AND CARING. MAY HE REST IN PEACE

Channel 7

#416640 - 09/20/11 02:26 PM Re: The Right Honourable George Cadle Price [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy
Press Release- 19 September 2011 – With deep sorrow the Government of Belize received the news this morning of the passing of the Rt. Hon. George Cadle Price, first Prime Minister and Father of the Nation.

While the entire nation mourns the passing of this great man, the timing of his death serves to reinforce in all our mind and hearts his lasting achievement in the creation of the nation state called Belize, and the legacy he leaves. The Government of Belize expresses deepest condolences to the family of Mr. Price, and acknowledges his invaluable contribution to our people and nation.

The following statement on the death of the Rt. Hon. George C. Price was delivered today by the Prime Minister, the Hon. Dean O. Barrow:

“With profound regret, the Government of Belize announces the death of the Rt. Hon. George Price, National Hero and Father of Belizean Independence. Mr. Price died around 6:30 a.m. today, Monday, September 19, 2011. A diplomatic note goes out this morning to in for the world of Mr. Price’s passing.

The Government of Belize in conjunction with Mr. Price’s family is making arrangements for a state funeral to take place on Monday, September 26. As well, Books of Condolence in which tributes can be inscribed will be opened today in Belmopan and Belize City.

An official period of mourning begins now, and flags will be flown at half-mast right through to September 26th, with the exception of Independence Day. Additional details concerning the funeral ceremony and the burial of the National Hero, will released as soon as they are finalized.

On behalf of a grateful nation to which Mr. Price devoted his entire life, I offer condolences to his immediate and extended family and to the People’s United Party. This was a giant of a man, the greatest architect of Belizean Nationalism and Belizean Sovereignty. May he rest in peace.”

Rt. Hon. George C. Price (1919-2011)
First Minister (1961 – 1963)
Premier (1964 – 1981)
Prime Minister (1981 – 1984; 1989 – 1993)

#416641 - 09/20/11 02:26 PM Re: The Right Honourable George Cadle Price [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

#416643 - 09/20/11 02:29 PM Re: The Right Honourable George Cadle Price [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

Nation Mourns Passing Away of Rt. Hon. George Price

Nation Mourns Passing Away of Rt. Hon. George Price

The Nation of Belize is saddened with the passing of the First Prime Minister and National Hero, Rt. Hon. George Cadle Price. The 92-year-old Price passed away at 6:30 a.m. on Monday, September 19.

On Thursday, September 15, the former Prime Minister fell from his Pickstock Street home where he suffered an injury to his head. Price was rushed to the Belize Healthcare Partners where he underwent surgery and had pulled through without any complications.

Hon. Price’s health had been deteriorating and succumbed to his head injury at 6:30a.m. on Monday, September 19. Ambergris Today joins with the Nation and mourns the passing of the Father of the Nation, Rt. Hon. George Price. May He Rest in Peace!

Biography of George Price:
The Right Honourable George Cadle Price, the eldest of 10 children, was born on January 15, 1919 in Belize City, Belize. Receiving his primary education at Holy Redeemer School, he attended St. John’s College High School from 1931-1935, after which he spent the next nine years at St. Augustine’s Minor Seminary in Mississippi, U.S.A., and Mayor Seminario Conciliar in Guatemala City.

Political career: Returning home in 1944, Price worked for local businessman/millionaire Robert Turton; while contesting municipal elections in 1944 and being elected to the local Town Board in 1947. He served as Mayor from 1958 to 1962.

At the national level he was elected to the Legislative Council in 1954. Upon the formation of the People’s Committee in 1950, he was named Assistant Secretary, and after co-founding the People’s United Party (PUP) on September 29, 1950, Price ascended through the party ranks until he became leader following a dispute in 1956.

Becoming First Minister in 1961, which title was changed to Premier in 1964 after Belize achieved internal self-government, Price became the country’s first Prime Minister at independence on September 21, 1981. Although his PUP suffered defeats in 1984 and again in 1993, Price led the PUP for fully four decades, until he resigned in November 1996 and was named Leader Emeritus.

Awards: 1982: Member of the Privy Council.
The Order of the Caribbean Community.
2000: The Order of National Hero, the first to receive this award in Belize.

Ambergris Today

#416644 - 09/20/11 02:31 PM Re: The Right Honourable George Cadle Price [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

The Right Honorable George Price visited San Pedro since the 1950’s and became very much acquainted and loved by all of San Pedro not only as a leader of the PUP but as a Statesman. For those of us who did not get to meet him personally, and those of us who do not know enough about him, except that he is the Father of Independence, here’s a small tribute to George Price by Twenty Five Years Ago.

George Price was loved as a humble man. He travelled to the ends of the country on horseback, a puffing land rover, or on foot across rivers. To San Pedro he came by boat and though he arrived wet in his khaki pants and cloth hat, do you think he went to change before going to the park to address the citizens of San Pedro? No, he went as he was.

George Price was always welcome by the entire village at the foot of the main pier, met with the village leaders and shook hands with everyone on his way and surprised a lot of people by calling them by their first names. Do you think that the village council made special arrangements for a special dinner for the Premier? No, because he chose to visit a humble Sanpedrano, don Chico Valdez and his family and sat there at his kitchen with a dirt floor and ate fried fish with tortillas like the humble people used to eat in San Pedro.

George Price led by example, like a good teacher. On one of his visits to San Pedro, right after we had cleaned up the village streets, he told the village chairman, Mr. Gustavo Arceo, that the village did not look clean enough. And he entered a dirty bush lot in front of Central Park and picked up some rubbish and asked the village council and children following him to help clean up San Pedro. He always insisted that something was good, but not good enough and that more could be done. His popular words were, “It is not enough for the people of Belize.” Even the national radio of the 1960’s adopted his slogan of “WAKE UP AND WORK”.

Honorable George Price was a man of vision. George Price was in San Pedro for the major events that helped shape our bright future. He was here for the inauguration of Caribeña Fishing Cooperative in 1963 to render support for an industry that brought tremendous growth to this community.

George Price was here in 1965 for the inauguration of the first hotel in San Pedro, The Holiday Hotel, another industry that he supported because it would help shape a bright future for San Pedro. Mr. George Price was influential in providing 24-hour electricity to San Pedro. He was responsible for bringing telecommunication to our Island and later for the provision of the first water system that would replace our shallow wells. He gave San Pedro land and full support to build San Pedro High School because he knew that education would bring wealth and development to the Island.

And when San Pedro was ready to become a town, it was George Price again to convince his Cabinet that the only way forward for San Pedro was through township, a declaration which he supported and was signed on November 27, 1984. After the town boundaries were rolled back to a very tiny town in 1985 for poor political moves, George Price promised Sanpedranos that he would roll it up again to its original boundary as soon possible and indeed in 1989, after returning into government, he personally came to San Pedro to sign back our original boundaries. Those boundaries are the same to this date.

Such was the love of Rt. Hon. George Price for the people of Belize and San Pedro was no exception. Indeed, Twenty Five Years Ago does not pray for Hon. George Price because he is at peace in Eternal Rest. I pray for God to give us another leader like George Price. Long Live the Memory of George Price.

Ambergris Today

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 18 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,023 Topics
462,214 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.