Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Anyone care to clue this newbie in on any tips for buying fresh fish from the area near the old football field/docks? A few questions I have are:

- which days is it available (Tues/Fri?)
- what types of fish are available?
- about what might I expect to pay?
- should I bring my own ice chest with ice along?
- any other tips/cautions?

Thanks much!
Emily

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
OP Offline
Wow -- no one here buys fresh fish I guess. frown

I
I
It's been my experience that the place by the old football field is best early in the morning. Some days they have fish, other days they do not....just gotta go and check it out. If they have any left over from previous days they filet it, freeze it and sell it at the little grocery just across the street from Caye Supply. Otherwise- Marinas usually has a nice amount of filets, and whole fish. Again, it will likely be frozen...There are a couple guys who ride around selling fish out of a cooler. For a while Arquel Johnson (fish guy Johnson) was out of the biz, but he's back. Please, don't give him or anyone money in advance. If you see the fish you want pay for it on the spot, otherwise you run a high risk you will never see your cash again. Don't give anyone the chance to be dishonest with you and you won't have any problem. No sense in giving you his phone number because I've had 6 different numbers for him over the last couple years, and a lot of times he won't answer or show up where you discussed and he certainly won't call you to tell you he won't be there because that uses credit. Ask around, and keep a look out you'll find him. Please understand, I'm not knockin' any of these guys, just telling you the facts and a little insight as to how it works here. There are a couple other local fav's best to ask around when you are here because who has what changes all the time. But these couple sources should get you what you need for now. Good luck!

Island Dogs
The Best, All Beef, All Belizean Hot Dogs.
G
G
Check your PMs. Pretty much what is above...and a little more.

B
B
Agreed, back by the Old Football field in the lagoon corner back by Caye Supplies. The filets have been really small for a while...but that is the only steady supply of fresh fish that I know.

Hon Offline
Anytime I've ever asked a San Pedrano where I could find fresh fish, they said 'go fishing'. smile

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
OP Offline
Thanks for all the replies! We don't have fishing gear so we will follow the tips here to seek out our fish.

Much appreciated,
Emily

If you live north of the bridge, there is a fishermen by the name of Jose that goes out in a orange plastic kayak that free dives for fish and lobster, when in season. If you wave him down he will bring you anything you want..........very fresh and still alive......at a price that you can not beat!!

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
OP Offline
Thanks Loansum!

Will keep our eyes peeled for Jose...

Emily

T
T
I am with Brusselsprout,Check the field;and if your not successful"green house". That is where we go after our unsuccessful fishing trips smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 318 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.