Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#417018 - 09/24/11 09:48 AM BTB's Seleni Matus resigns
Marty Offline
The tourism industry is in turbid waters tonight as the high profile Director Of Tourism, Seleni Matus abruptly resigned this afternoon, and demitted office immediately.

According to reports, Matus tendered her resignation to the board of directors at 1:00, had a meeting with her staff this afternoon around 3:00 to notify them of her departure, and by 4:00 pm she had packed up and left.

It is sudden - and for the industry sort of like falling off the edge of a cliff as Matus had taken a bold, new and effective direction since she was hired in February of 2010 to resuscitate a flagging industry.

And while the sudden departure has shocked many - the truth is that Matus and her CEO Lindsey Garbutt have been at odds for months - as sources tell us, Garbutt was on a power play to strengthen his ministry by moving programmes and budgeting from the BTB - meaning that this, like everything else, is about money and who gets to decide how and where it is spent.

Seems that Garbutt - the political appointment - has won this battle, but the question of a loss for this vital industry is another matter - which will play out over the coming months.

In the meantime, the BTB Board has to scramble to find a replacement for Matus - presumably one that is equally high powered. But with political undercurrents swelling as election season draws near, and the BTB kitty so precious to behold, it will be interesting to see what direction the board takes.

Channel 7

#417021 - 09/24/11 09:52 AM Re: BTB's Seleni Matus resigns [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Belize Tourism Board’s Seleni Matus resigns

Seleni Matus

On Wednesday, in his Independence Day speech, the Prime Minister spoke of a six point seven percent increase in the second quarter of this year in overnight visitors. You would think that with such growth, the Director of Tourism would be resting on her laurels. Well, not so; this afternoon, Seleni Matus resigned from the post; a job she took on in February, 2010. The board meeting was expecting a report from her, instead they got her resignation. To her credit, Matus spearheaded major changes at the Belize Tourism Board but it is known that some board members had complained about her management style. For weeks, pressure had been building; there were major differences with the C.E.O. and the board over unauthorized spending. Recently, without board consent, she employed a “known P.U.P.” who was quickly terminated and is suing the B.T.B. since he was recruited from a previous job only to be fired in a matter of weeks. When contacted this evening, the B.T.I.A.’s Jim Scott confirmed that Matus resigned with immediate effect. Matus told the Board that she was returning to the United States.

Channel 5

#417064 - 09/25/11 10:36 AM Re: BTB's Seleni Matus resigns [Re: Marty]
elbert Offline
Everything seems to be on hold at the BTB!
I've heard they are reevaluating some requirements for licensed operators.
The Dive Shops Daily Blog

#417068 - 09/25/11 11:13 AM Re: BTB's Seleni Matus resigns [Re: Marty]
ScubaLdy Offline
When I first came to Belize in 1998 (yes, me and Mitch) no one other than my scuba diving friends had ever heard of Belize.

By the time I moved here in 2003 everyone I knew then knew of Belize. They called me the ambassador.

When I moved from San Francisco to Detroit (ugh) in 1958 everyone there told me I was crazy and SOMEDAY they were going to move to California; the land of milk and honey (or fruit and nuts depending on your sexual hang-ups’).

Now, in 2011, while in California EVERYONE has heard of Belize and is going to come here some day.

Belize has become well known – maybe some thanks needs to go to the BTB???
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

#417083 - 09/25/11 02:27 PM Re: BTB's Seleni Matus resigns [Re: Marty]
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
The BTB is due some credit, but in my opinion what has made the real difference in awareness about Belize is the internet and sites like Marty's, Tony Rath's and others.

#417084 - 09/25/11 02:56 PM Re: BTB's Seleni Matus resigns [Re: Marty]
SFJeff Offline
Perhaps as a farewell gift, the BTB can give Seleni all of the new photographs on their web site.

#417095 - 09/25/11 08:11 PM Re: BTB's Seleni Matus resigns [Re: Marty]
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
Harsh, Jeff, harsh!

#417096 - 09/25/11 08:33 PM Re: BTB's Seleni Matus resigns [Re: Lan Sluder/Belize First]
SP Daily Offline
Lan: If its so harsh why are you spreading it all over Twitter etc.?

#417098 - 09/25/11 11:45 PM Re: BTB's Seleni Matus resigns [Re: Marty]
SFJeff Offline
I'd wager than Lan is in amused agreement, rather than criticizing...

and it's certainly NOT that harsh in that they've had HOW LONG to fix them/get better images up??? Who cares anymore about the details of why they can't/won't use Tony R's pics... They've had what, half a year now? They could have started from scratch and had better images than what they currently have. Amazing.

#417125 - 09/26/11 01:31 PM Re: BTB's Seleni Matus resigns [Re: Marty]
lorenzogonzalez Offline
This is sad news for Belize.. compared to past BTB directors, Seleni was doing a great job!
Belize Adventure Blog

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Judyann H., Shyboy), 53 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,636 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,728 Topics
461,286 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.