Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#417190 09/27/11 11:57 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Hello all! My husband and I just returned from a week long adventure on AC. We had such a wonderful time and met so many fantastic people!

We arrived Saturday afternoon after a slight delay on our plane from Houston. Tropic Air was so helpful with switching our flights and getting us to San Pedro quickly. I even sat in the copilot seat for my first view of the island...which was wonderful. When we arrived at Pedro's Hotel, the owner, Peter, was waiting for us. He said, "You're late!" and I guess we were! I felt right at home. We got settled in and met a few other guests at the hotel that were from Israel. We decided to walk down and get a bite of food. We ended up at a street vendor right by the Skybox bar. The food was delicious and cheap! I think my husband and I spent $10 belize (not including the Belikins we ran over to grab, lol).

Being fantasy football fanatics, we woke up Sunday to football at Pedro's bar and drinks. Kathy who was bartending that day, made chicken and dumplings for everyone who wanted some. It was delicious and a cure for the hangover I had from too many rum drinks the night before! We took it easy the rest of the day and took a nice tour of the town on our golf cart during the afternoon. At night, we went to the Tacklebox with some new found friends from Pedro's. My husband had a chicken burger which was delicious, I had a lobster quesadilla, which left a little to be desired. The rum punch....yum! We all went back to the hotel for a cool dip in the pool and some more drinks.

Monday, Troy and I decided to explore the north side of the island as I have a family friend that owns a home there. I knew that the roads have a tendancy to be bad but I was assured that we should be able to get there. We passed the Palapa Bar on the way and decided that we would grab a beer on the way back. Unfortunately that did not happen. I guess as a role of a tourist on AC, we were meant to do something stupid. We went through a series of puddles and got the engine wet on our cart and became stuck. We waited for it to dry and then turned around. Going through the puddle again, it became wet and stopped working. Luckily, a nice lady and her son came by and had a rope. They towed us into town. I couldn't have been more thankful to those nice people for helping us that day! I came back to Pedro's with about 75 mosquito bites on me. Luckily, I packed hydrocortizone! Nothing beats an ice cold drink after a stressful day. We decided to ditch the golf cart for the rest of the trip and walk.

Tuesday, we went to Hurricane's for lunch and book a couple of excursions with Daniel at Tanisha Tours. We split the octopus cerviche which was delicious! And washed it down with a couple of rum punches (Josh makes the best). After booking our trips we went back to the room to rest knowing that we would have a long night as it was Independence Day eve. Walter from Pedro's was ready to party and everyone would have to go! We went down to the block party, wandered, drank, watched karaoke at Fido's and eventually the wonderful fireworks display! What a great bit of Belizian culture that we got to experience!

Wednesday we went on a snorkel trip to Hol Chan with Babar as our guide. He pointed out and talked about every species we came upon. We had a close encounter with a spotted eagle ray which was fantastic! Babar was a great guide, he chatted with us and we never felt hurried or rushed to get out of the water. We had a slight problem with the boat motor on our way to Shark Ray Alley and had to be towed over there by the park ranger. I began to think we were cursed, lol. On our way back the motor worked just fine and that helped. We ate lunch at Hurrincane's that night as it was close and easy. I had chicken fajitas and Troy chicken nachos. Both tasted fantastic! After that we walked slowly back to the hotel and watched the colorful parade go past.

Thursday we went on an all day fishing trip. Once again, Babar took us out, along with fishing guru, Manuel. We started by catching some mangrove snapper which was fun and easy for me, not really being an avid fisherman. Manuel, in the process of getting the reels ready, accidentally dropped the handle in the water. Being from the Pacific Northwest, you drop something in the water, it's gone forever. Luckily in Belize, the water never seems to be over 6 feet deep so Manuel jumped in and retrieved it. We floated around the reef for hours catching different fish and drinking Belikin. To top it off, we went to the northern part of the island and my husband immediately hooked a barracuda! We were pleased with our catch and decided with the boys that we should go have a savory fresh fish feast! We took the fish back to Hurricane's where it was all cooked up in a fabulous feast...it was so good we had to take a nap after!

Although I really wanted to see some Mayan ruins, the slow season made it difficult so Daniel talked us into doing some cave tubing/ zip lining instead and it didn't disappoint! Daniel made a special trip further up the river to show me some howler monkey troops which made me very happy. We ate a light breakfast on the river and got in the van for a crazy ride into the jungle. It takes a little getting used to the Belize way of driving versus our American way. I was in the back of the van giggling the whole way! Ziplining the jungle canopy was fabulous even for someone afraid of heights like me. The guides were patient with me and my screaming across the jungle, lol. We hiked into the jungle to the river. On the way, Daniel explained many plant species histories and medicianal uses etc. That was very interesting and helped make the hike go by faster. Cave tubing was awesome! The cool, crisp water felt great and the views couldn't have been any better. I could have done an all day tubing adventure for sure! We drank rum punches on the way back into San Pedro and enjoyed the views. We went back to Pedro's to relax and grab some cocktails on our last night on AC. Cindy was bartending and quizzing people to get free drinks. This quickly turned into an impromptu "Quiz Night" at Pedro's Sportsbar with all the people around the bar whacking their hands on the bar to chime in with their answer. It was good fun. I think Peter wants to start this as a new tradition as we all had a great time! Some Jager shots and too many Panty Rippas (as Cindy calls them) put me to bed quickly! We awoke in the middle of the night with thunder and lightning and a downpour. We stayed up a little while watching the extraordinary display that mother nature was showing us. It was a nice way to remember our last night.....

Thanks to all that took us around San Pedro! Good luck to all of our friends that we met from around the world. And most of all...thanks to all that work at Pedro's! Cindy, Walter, Carrie, Kathy, and Peter....we had a blast and will come back as quickly as our bank account will allow! Cheers!

So glad you had such a fantastic holiday. Thanks for sharing.

Sounds awesome! On your next visit... Don't miss a Mountain Pine Ridge day trip and the ATM Cave!

Belize Adventure Blog
http://www.belizeadventure.ca
Jill: Re: your comment on the howlers and then your experience ziplining

Howler 1: Hey Elbert what do you want to do today?

Howler 2: I dunno Marty , what do you want to do?

Howler 1: Hmmmm...ah! After these folks are done peeking at us lets head up to the zip line area and watch a few of them howl!!

Howler 2: Oh yah!! I bet the one talking to Daniel is a screamer! She'll put the quetzals off their feed for a week!

Howler 1: Bahahahahah! Hoooo Hoooo Hoooo!!

wink

You had a great time I'm sure the folks you came to know picked up on that!

Last edited by Bear; 09/28/11 08:51 AM.
J
OP Offline
J
Hilarious! grin

R
R
good report. Glad you had fun, come on back, it just keeps getting better. wink

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
And better and better and better. Always just another day in PARADISE!!!!!!!

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
P
P
My husband and I are planning on coming down to AC this next year for the first time and trying to find a place we would like to stay.. So did you really like Pedros? Was it within walking distance to places? Thanks so much!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 266 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.