Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#417273 - 09/28/11 07:28 PM Bus travel from cancun to the island
jamflowman420 Offline
Hello! I am thinking of backpacking my way back to the island starting out from miami, taking a cheap flight to cancun, then hopefully taking the bus system down to the island. I lived on ambergris back in 09' for several months and really miss the island life. I need to get the funk out of the states for a bit once again and spend my days spearfishing and drinking belikin smile

I was wondering if anyone has some good info on how to get there the cheapest with some regard for safety. Bus line names? Cities to start/stop in? How long it may take? How much?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

#417278 - 09/28/11 08:06 PM Re: Bus travel from cancun to the island [Re: jamflowman420]
jamflowman420 Offline
ALSO. If anyone knows of anyone driving down in the next week or so from nearly anywhere in the states, let me know!!! i would like to hitch a ride down. i can throw in some gas money

#417299 - 09/28/11 10:09 PM Re: Bus travel from cancun to the island [Re: jamflowman420]
Rachael Eteson Offline
The best bus company is ADO - bring a sweater as the AC is spectacular! They now do an overnight service between Cancun to Belize City, however if you're planning on stopping off on the Yucatan then Tulum has amazing beaches and a good range of budget cabana sort of places to stay.

#417300 - 09/28/11 10:17 PM Re: Bus travel from cancun to the island [Re: jamflowman420]
Diane Campbell Offline
When you get to Chetumal, catch a boat from there to San Pedro. Two boat-companies run daily service and depart around 2:30 PM (Mexican time)for San Pedro. Both companies have offices on or adjacent to the municipal pier in Chetumal. Suggest that you arrive at the pier around 1 to get your ticket etc. Cost is about $30 US one-way.

The boat is very comfortable, with reserved seats and a movie. The ride is 90 minutes from Chet to San Pedro. No bathroom so do visit the rest-room on the pier prior to departure.

Enjoy!

#417305 - 09/28/11 11:09 PM Re: Bus travel from cancun to the island [Re: jamflowman420]
ScubaLdy Offline
I just made this trip arriving back home here on AC on Sunday via the San Pedro Water Jet.

First off – they now have a bathroom aboard the boat.

The printed ticket said the boat left at 3:00 and my bus did not arrive until 3:10 so figured I had missed it. WRONG – it was scheduled to leave at 3:30 as posted on the dock here in AC. What’s more the next day they told me they had even waited for me.

Also, because travel is down now they are eliminating the week end runs so check their website for updates.

When you fly into or out of Cancun remember that Playa del Carman is this side and Cancun itself is further north (I goofed on my out bound trip).

The ADO buses are very nice and you can catch an express. It is a four hour trip with a five minute stop half way. There is a bathroom on board. However there are two stations in Playa and the one coming from the south is about 25 blocks further north than the one coming in from the north. Go figure?

When ever I travel alone I like to stay in hostels; Playa has a lot and my taxi driver even took me to one in Chetumal. PM me if you want details.

#417318 - 09/29/11 12:44 AM Re: Bus travel from cancun to the island [Re: jamflowman420]
MisterB266 Offline
ADO is probably the best & safest bus line. They operate express buses between Cancun & Chetumal, and they have an airport shuttle bus between the airport & Playa del Carmen.

But there are other bus lines -- Mayab is one of them -- and there are non-express and second class buses that will be cheaper than the ADO express buses.

Schedules & fares can change anytime; check for updates at:
http://www.ticketbus.com.mx/wtbkd/I18n.tb?language=en&region=US
http://www.ado.com.mx/ado/index.jsp

Note: On the Mexican bus websites, just the dollar sign is used to represent pesos.

On the way down, you might want to stop at Playa or Tulum or Bacalar. Maybe even a night in Chetumal.

From Chetumal, there are two afternoon water taxis to Ambergris.
A cheaper but longer option would be to get a Belizean bus to Belize City, then get the water taxi.

The new route between Cancun and Belize City bypasses Chetumal, and it might be more expensive, but the water taxi from Belize City to the cayes is cheaper than the water taxi between Chetumal & Ambergris. You can decide which route fits your budget.

You'll find all the trip durations and fares on those websites.
Also check this site...
http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

#417386 - 09/29/11 06:45 PM Re: Bus travel from cancun to the island [Re: jamflowman420]
Bing Crosby Offline
You're going to take a bus to the island? That reminds me of the time I drove my motorcycle to Hawaii.

#417387 - 09/29/11 07:13 PM Re: Bus travel from cancun to the island [Re: Bing Crosby]
Dwight K Schrute Offline
my grandfather once invested in a company that was going to make amphibious busses.

Unfortunately, they went under.

#417389 - 09/29/11 07:41 PM Re: Bus travel from cancun to the island [Re: jamflowman420]
lorenzogonzalez Offline
Cancun to Chetumal, Quintana Roo - ADO Bus http://www.chaacreek.com/belize-travel-blog/2011/09/ado-bus-line-starts-services-in-belize/
Chetumal to San Pedro, Ambergris Caye - San Pedro Water Taxi http://sanpedrowatertaxi.com/schedule.html

Cheers,

#417395 - 09/29/11 08:54 PM Re: Bus travel from cancun to the island [Re: jamflowman420]
MisterB266 Offline
Dear belizepost,

On that link to the chaacreek website, I see my word-for-word text taken from BelizeBus.wordpress.com, but I don't see where you name BelizeBus as the source.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,016 Topics
462,196 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.