Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
OP Offline
K
Hi everyone, we are planning our first visit to Ambergris Caye this December and we are very excited.. being an RN I am concerned about mosquito borne diseases and what to worry about and what not to worry about. we plan to stay mostly on Ambergris Caye-with a trip to the Mayan ruins, snorkling and cave tubing...any thoughts...packing ideas, what is the weather like? I dont like the idea of putting DEET on my kids...but it seems like I have no choice...advice on everything and anything...thank you. Warmly....Katya what are the best areas to visit and safely see. Thanks!!

Last edited by Katya1223; 10/06/11 09:49 AM.
Avon skin so soft oil. Apply liberally all day long. Me thinks you can also get it at Warpaint on the island.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
Or the skin so soft bug guard which doesn't use DEET - but bring it with you.

HOT Guide Belize - now on your mobile phone! Info, events, discounts & more - www.hotguidebelize.com
A
A
My recommendations for day trips:
Lamanai - a must see Maya archaeology site. Take the boat from Ambergris for a full day outing.
Caye Caulker - take a water taxi
Hol Chan & Shark Ray Alley - snorkeling at it's best if it is not too crowded
Rent bicyles - cycle on the beach north of San Pedro
Marco Gonzales - Maya site currently under excavation on the south end of Ambergris Caye.

Alternate trips with days of relaxation.

Hope this helps

Last edited by aj baxter; 10/06/11 10:20 AM.
Katya,

Bring 'off' or something similar to use if you need it. You will probably find that you don't.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Be aware that noseeums, sand fleas and the smaller biters can be an issue beach side. My shins and ankles look like hamburger if i dont stay lathered up and even then a few bites (on me) will set off a reaction). I also bring benadryl and allegra, as well as cortisone cream, to help reduce the inflamation.

I have to say I am ignorant as to the extent of their prescence at this time of they year. In fact I'll simply pose that question; Are there are hi and lo seasons for these lil'bastards?

B
B
Mosquitos are usually gone by December...and then don't really reappear until the next summer. I always use the Family Off!...the really low DEET one and it works perfectly fine for me.

Try snorkeling with Lil Alfonse...he is SO good with kids. Probably cuz he is a big kid himself.

Skin so Soft bug guard worked great for us this past August & September.......have to apply it more frequently, but it feels nice on the skin unlike anything with deet....JMHO

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
Originally Posted by BrusselSprout
Mosquitos are usually gone by December...and then don't really reappear until the next summer.

Sprout, any seasonal relief for sand fleas?...my ankles want to know...

Put baby oil on your ankles and lower legs. Sand fleas (or flies) won't land on you.

Change your Latitude
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 125 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.