Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41798 07/08/01 07:50 PM
J
jenniee Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hello! I have a question concerning the drinking water on AC. Now, I know better than to drink straight tap water; however, what about the ice in the drinks? Is ice on AC made from tap water or bottled water? Should we ask for "no ice?" I'm asking because when I was in the Bay Islands of Honduras last year, my fiance and I got VERY ill, and the only thing we both had that was the same was the rum and coke with ICE in it. SO we figured that's what did it to us. Any suggestions? Anyone ever had a problem with the water/ice? I don't want to re-live the Honduras experience. When in doubt, I'll order my drinks with no ice....
Thanks for the info!

#41799 07/08/01 08:05 PM
S
S
We drank bottled water in our room, but we had ice in our drinks whenever we went out. I got sick one night, but I think it was because of a long day and not because of anything I ate. We also brushed our teeth with tap water. So I would do the same unless it would just set your mind at ease to take more precautions. Enjoy!!!!!
Peace, Susan

#41800 07/08/01 08:39 PM
never had any troubles with the ice, have thousands of various drinks with ice in them from about every restaurant in town....

#41801 07/09/01 10:16 AM
The water and ice are generally okay on Ambergris. This is not Mexico.

I drink the water straight from the tap most everywhere in Belize (though not in some rural areas ... and in some coastal and caye areas the water may be safe but tastes awful as it's brackish or with a lot of sulfur).

Ditto with ice in drinks.

Having said that, any water that's different from what you are used to may upset your system a little. Also, the combination of heat, intense sun, more alcohol than usual and different foods can also cause problems.

A lot of veteran traveler swear by prophylactic does of Pepto-Bismal (a tablespoon or two a day).

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#41802 07/10/01 05:03 PM
J
J
Just got back.. absolutely no problems with the water. All restaurants that we noticed used bottled water for drinking and ice. We stayed at Paradise Villas and they told us the water was fine for use, however some people did not care for the taste. We brushed our teeth with it and made our coffee with it. No problem. We took acidophilus (sp??) before we went and while we were there. That helps build up the "friendly" bacteria in your own body. We also took a small bottle of grapefruit seed extract which you can use to knock out a stomach bug if needed. Don't worry and enjoy yourself!

#41803 07/10/01 05:25 PM
I have stayed at Tradewinds (Paradise Village) twice and took my Britta water filer from home. I filtered tap water and kept it in the refrigerator. Also made ice cubes and coffee with no problemo!
Why wouldn't restaurants sell you bottled water instead of giving you free tap water? Who can begrudge them making a buck? We American's can really be cheapskates.
All the dive boats I have been on supply lots of bags of bottled water free and urge everyone to drink up - hydrate!

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
#41804 07/11/01 09:51 AM
T
T
I'm not a cheapskate and have no problem purchasing bottled water. I just want to make sure the ice is safe, and if I have to pay for ice made from bottled water, I'll do that, too. I just don't want to get sick on AC and ruin my wedding day with a stomach bug.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.