Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#417876 10/05/11 05:25 PM
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Hazards of Migration
I've been asked by several friends to explain the large number of dead birds being found.
Death during migration takes a heavy toll. It is estimated that half of all migrants heading south for the winter will not return to breed in the spring.
Predation and bad weather are two natural causes of mortality during migration.
Birds migrating are in a weak and venerable state, assisting with feeders and bird baths help tremendously and in more ways than the obvious.
Collisions with buildings, windows, and other structures is a human-made danger. Unfortunately, many birds cannot distinguish the difference between real sky and a reflection of the sky in a window.
During migration millions birds fly full tilt into windows and are fatally injured or injured and fail to complete their migration.
Planting trees and installing window awnings to block the sun from hitting the window may eliminate some reflection but Putting a bird feeder on or within a few feet of a window helps to slow birds down and lessen the effect of impact.
Bird baths help in much the same way by having the bird stop and hopefully become aware of windows and other obstacles it might not otherwise recognize.The feeders and water in Bird Baths also act as a refueling station and assist the bird in completing the journey.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
S
S
I'm doin my part by leaving my windows dirty...no reflections!

We use lenghts of colored yarn hangin off our roof line to act as a "reminders" during our migratory periods. Unfortunately we still suffer some losses from the resident hummers...

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Its amazing how bird baths and feeders attract,my place has several and it makes 'Rocking Chair Birdwatching' very productive!

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
yes! We treasure our oriole sanctuary and spa

I had a pair of young Northern Water-thrushs arrive a couple of weeks ago. His daddy lived here for months last year and then one day a lady NWT flew in. I was so happy I was going to have a pair but after about ten minutes she flew off and he followed her. MALES!

Last week a pair of Hooded Warblers came in. What beauties they are! I don't have to move from my hammock chair to be entertained. What a life!

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Harriett, I wish we had more birds up at our place, Bermuda Landing. All I usually see is Crackels, Doves and the occasional Great Kisakee which are beautiful.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
S
S
Want some more Grackles? You are welcome to mine!

Originally Posted by SP Daily
Want some more Grackles? You are welcome to mine!

laugh laugh laugh

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
I bet no one ever put only 4 and 20 grackles in a pie...more like 420...

Last edited by Bear; 10/07/11 02:53 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 300 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.