Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

This is an age-old concept; it was used in old time sailing ships to get light down below deck.

Often had one above the vee-berths.

Last edited by Marty; 10/08/11 09:48 AM.
Does it stay lit up all night long? Does the light fade as the hours pass throughout the night?

Is it a chemical reaction with the bleach and sunlight?

How often do they have to refill the bottle I wonder.

It only works when the sun is up - it takes a small beam of light and refracts it throughout an otherwise dark interior. It's a sort of mini-skylight-lightbulb. Pretty amazing technology - relevant to those whose lives are lived in spaces so densely packed that daytime is dark inside. The website says they last about 5 years.

C
C2C
C2C
C
The water is far from clean there and the bleach prevents the sunlight from encouraging bacterial/fungal growth. The bleach lasts as long as the bottle does.
On sailing ships of yore it was a prism usually solid glass, sometimes slightly tinged green as old glass was in those days.
Today (and for years) modern houses use what's known as Solar Tubes. A mini-skylight that can be very bright. I had several in my house and one thing I learned the hard way: don't put the solar tube over a ceiling fan's bade space or you'll get a constant and very annoying blanking of the light as each fan blade passes under it.
P.S. It is only as good as the sunlight that hits it. no sun, no light. There is no chemical reaction just rays passing through the bottle. The bottle's neck shape helps to collect more sunlight that's why it's placed neck up in the ceiling.

Last edited by C2C; 10/08/11 05:14 PM.
OMG
This forum is just a wealth of information. I am so impressed!

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Damn........I'll be drilling holes in my corrugated roof all day tomorrow! grin
Think I'm kidding - we are third world here now, baby! cry

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 379 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.