Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#418605 - 10/13/11 02:23 PM Work Starts on Improving Marine Safety on Island
Marty Offline

After the tragic accident involving a local water taxi vessel and a tourist losing a leg in the accident the Belize Port Authority, along with the Belize Tourism Board, conducted a meeting on Friday, October 7, 2011, with local officials to plan ways in improving safety and discuss measures aimed at preventing future accidents.

Providing and improving safety for both swimmers and mariners was one of the most important issues that need immediate attention, for which a plan to place notices on piers for swimmers was first and foremost formulated. The signs will be placed at docks and front desks of hotels for swimmers (both locals and tourists). The signs will have ‘welcoming words’ and include some rules and regulations about designated swimming areas off the piers for the safety of all.

A “no wake zone” is an area designated by the Harbor Master for vessels to navigate with extreme caution at slow speed and not to create wakes (waves) that is likely to cause damage to lives or property. Currently here in San Pedro this is an imaginary line drawn 100 feet east of residential area including the river and 100 feet west of the entrance of the San Pedro Lagoon.

The extension of the “no wake zone” was another great concern as it was suggested that instead of having it just 100 feet off the coast line it should be increased to about 300 feet or more. Talks also addressed the issues to establish a proper vessel traffic route and implement a proper buoy system for proper navigation of vessels. This and more topics such as the designation of areas for water-sport activities, swimming areas and speed limits were discussed and a follow up meeting in the near future will establish more concrete ideas and regulation. For the meantime public notices on ‘No Wake Zones’ and swimming safety will commence for the safety of all.

Ambergris Today

#418622 - 10/13/11 03:57 PM Re: Work Starts on Improving Marine Safety on Island [Re: Marty]
Bear Offline

#418649 - 10/13/11 10:09 PM Re: Work Starts on Improving Marine Safety on Island [Re: Marty]
Barbara K Offline
Through a series of amazing coincidences, it turns out that the couple is from the next town over from me and I know the mother of the man injured. He is currently in rehab, but doing well. And has a terrific attitude about the whole incident & feels extremely lucky to be alive. If anyone would like to send their wishes (gifts, mementos, donations, etc) to the couple, I will be happy to print them out and deliver to them. Please email me (escape@barbsbelize.com) or PM me here.
They are mostly concerned that steps are being taken to try to ensure that something like this does not happen again. I will print the above to show them it is being addressed.

#418651 - 10/13/11 10:13 PM Re: Work Starts on Improving Marine Safety on Island [Re: Marty]
ScubaLdy Offline
Good for you Barbara - and good for them too.

#418659 - 10/13/11 10:55 PM Re: Work Starts on Improving Marine Safety on Island [Re: Barbara K]
Bear Offline
Originally Posted By: Barbara K
He is currently in rehab, but doing well. And has a terrific attitude about the whole incident & feels extremely lucky to be alive.
They are mostly concerned that steps are being taken to try to ensure that something like this does not happen again.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 97 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,673 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,048 Topics
462,276 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.