Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

After the tragic accident involving a local water taxi vessel and a tourist losing a leg in the accident the Belize Port Authority, along with the Belize Tourism Board, conducted a meeting on Friday, October 7, 2011, with local officials to plan ways in improving safety and discuss measures aimed at preventing future accidents.

Providing and improving safety for both swimmers and mariners was one of the most important issues that need immediate attention, for which a plan to place notices on piers for swimmers was first and foremost formulated. The signs will be placed at docks and front desks of hotels for swimmers (both locals and tourists). The signs will have 'welcoming words' and include some rules and regulations about designated swimming areas off the piers for the safety of all.

A "no wake zone" is an area designated by the Harbor Master for vessels to navigate with extreme caution at slow speed and not to create wakes (waves) that is likely to cause damage to lives or property. Currently here in San Pedro this is an imaginary line drawn 100 feet east of residential area including the river and 100 feet west of the entrance of the San Pedro Lagoon.

The extension of the "no wake zone" was another great concern as it was suggested that instead of having it just 100 feet off the coast line it should be increased to about 300 feet or more. Talks also addressed the issues to establish a proper vessel traffic route and implement a proper buoy system for proper navigation of vessels. This and more topics such as the designation of areas for water-sport activities, swimming areas and speed limits were discussed and a follow up meeting in the near future will establish more concrete ideas and regulation. For the meantime public notices on 'No Wake Zones' and swimming safety will commence for the safety of all.

Ambergris Today

[Linked Image]

Through a series of amazing coincidences, it turns out that the couple is from the next town over from me and I know the mother of the man injured. He is currently in rehab, but doing well. And has a terrific attitude about the whole incident & feels extremely lucky to be alive. If anyone would like to send their wishes (gifts, mementos, donations, etc) to the couple, I will be happy to print them out and deliver to them. Please email me ([email protected]) or PM me here.
They are mostly concerned that steps are being taken to try to ensure that something like this does not happen again. I will print the above to show them it is being addressed.

Good for you Barbara - and good for them too.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Originally Posted by Barbara K
He is currently in rehab, but doing well. And has a terrific attitude about the whole incident & feels extremely lucky to be alive.
They are mostly concerned that steps are being taken to try to ensure that something like this does not happen again.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.