Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Residents of Fabers Road catch eight foot crocResidents of Fabers Road have caught an eight feet crocodile. Last night, the huge croc was spotted roaming the football field on Fabers Road. Residents reported that the police were called but they were unable to catch the reptile. According to Sheffield Brown, the animal weighs over 300 lbs. He says that he and his friend had to wait until the crock calmed doen before inserting a stick into its mouth. Once the stick was inside the mouth, they quickly tied a rope around the menacing jaws.

Resident 1
We caught it last night about 2 o'clock, it was two of them and they were running around free.

Juelz Vasquez, Channel 7

Okay you caught them where this morning?

Resident 1
At the football field; one of my friends saw them and I came and helped him. They are around a lot.

Resident 2
While we were tying the mouth, I had those guys take the stick out and tighten the rope around his mouth. So it took about until 3 o'clock and then I took him into my yard.

Shefield says that because times are hard, they cannot give the crock to the Audobun Society or other NGOs. Instead, they say they plan to fillet it and sell it to the Chinese market.

PlusTV

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Crocodile caught in Faber's Road neighborhood

The rains also brought excitement for the neighborhood at Faber's Road when a crocodile was spotted in the area after midnight. The croc, which is about eight feet long, slammed into a police vehicle. It was eventually captured by a brave resident. So what's next for the reptile? News Five's Jose Sanchez finds out.

Jose Sanchez, Reporting

The torrents from Thursday night washed away the dust of the dank city and in some neighborhoods replaced sandy potholes with mud and water. And while the together weather drove many indoors, it also drove a crocodile onto Faber's Road. At two a.m. residents found themselves mouth to jaw with this eight-foot croc.

Mr. Card

Mr. Card, Captured Faber's Road Crocodile

"Two o'clock this morning I deh pan my verandah when my brethren come hail me and tell me wah animal deh pan di street deh-one di size of the one that I caught before. But when I reach pan di scene and thing now, ih mi di walk come from the green chiney up yonder. Ih walk come to the football field when about two or three police truck arrive on the scene and one of the police truck mi di look fi drive over ahn and ih jump up off ah ih four feet and slam into the police truck-look like ih damage wah part of the police truck and thing. So the police lef ah lone. They call in to find out if dehn wah shot and kill ahn, but dehn say dehn can't shot or kill ahn so they left the scene. So I mi have to think about a solution for us to get ahn pan hold because ih coulda mi end up ina anybody yard and eat anybody dog or an infant, a kid or something because it very vicious bad dig. So I decide to get a stick and put it ina ih mouth and pass the rope over the stick and over ih head and get the rope lock pan eh head first."

Sheffield Alfred Balthazar Brown

Sheffield Alfred Balthazar Brown, Captured Faber's Road Crocodile

"The Chiney dehn want buy ahn and the zoo want ahn, but you know we dah ghetto youth and plus we di look fi make shoes and keep the head. But dehn bally couldn't handle ahn cause like I tell you dah wah rough animal. Ih box me down and all earlier when the next media come bout because dah wah powerful animal. Even the police vehicle this thing di box up and thing you know. Lotta ah dehn deh around this place; run bout like that just like young puppy and this dah wah ma one di way I see it. The pa one still deh around and lot more babies-dehn deh around here common."

Jose Sanchez

"What will you do with the crocodile? Conservationists will want you to hand it over or maybe like you said you are looking to make croc soup or croc shoes."

Sheffield Alfred Balthazar Brown

"Weh di go on? We need fi eat and thing. If we get a money we wah sell it. This thing dah bout five hundred pounds. We di take four hundred for the lone meat fillet-this taste like steak. Make Dean Barrow know this dah wi new meal if we noh get off of this and get wah money fi this; and plus we di come see ahn same way. we wah big up the Prime Minister all the way. And I want Phillip Willoughby know dehn streets yah need fi fix cause dehn crocodile di swim all about when di water raise."

Options such as a crocodile boots are always in style but residents are waiting for someone to exchange croc for cash. Reporting for News Five, Jose Sanchez.

Channel 5

City Men Caught A Croc

As we told you at the top of the newscast, the rains have inundated low-lying areas of Belize City. And in those newer communities, built over what used to be wetlands and mangrove swamps, which means all kinds of animals from crabs to crocodiles have been flushed out of their homes.

Early this morning on Faber's that spelled out trouble for one large crocodile.

Here's why:

Jules Vasquez Reporting

Looking at the White Ibis and Northern Jacana wading in these waters - you might think what you're seeing is some kind of wetland preserve�

But this is really a low-lying football field in Port Loyola - inundated after the rains and a suitable habitat for this creature - an eight foot crocodile that this colorful duo caught in the drain.

Sheffield Brown - Caught Crocodile
"My friend and I caught this (crocodile) last night. There were two of them. They are running around here illegal and free."

But they've got to get paid to get rid of it.

Sheffield Brown
"This is for the Chinese. They love this; this is a delicacy for them. Listen to me, we told this man that this thing has 400 pounds, and he will tell us that it has about 200 pounds. This thing is bigger than me. I know these things by the amount they weigh, by holding its weight, because I am a fisherman."

Jules Vasquez
"So how much are you going to get paid for this?"

Sheffield Brown
"It depends by the weight, because this thing goes by the pounds. We are looking to sell this for at least $1.25 per pound. And the way I see it, this looks like at least 400 pounds, the most or the least."

And the croc proved that it also knows how to throw its weight around, tossing Brown to the ground:

Sheffield Brown
"That power that it has, I was trying to hold it from the front, and it just boxed me down, right off my feet. I didn't know that he had so much power."

Belize City Resident - Caught Crocodile
"He is very strong. He almost damaged from the police truck as well this morning."

And now, this Croc - despite wildlife protection laws - doesn't have a chance - he's a ticket to some easy money in hard times:

Sheffield Brown
"We were going to take it to the zoo, but there are lots more of them are around for us to take to the zoo. So we are dealing with business right now because the Ministers are playing as well. I want these men to know that nothing is really happening, and we were going to give it to the zoo, but we need to eat. So we are dealing with 'paper'; this is our 'come up.'"

And this poor croc, it seems, chose the wrong football field to come up in...

We were unable to get back to Sheffield Brown to find out how much he managed to sell the Croc for.

Channel 7

Rich!
I had to re post this on my facebook for all my friends that live in places where this is unimaginable.
:-) that guy put the crocks tail in his mouth , do you think since the tail is an extension behind his anus that a Crocodilian Parastiology lecture might be due :-0

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Under the Belize Wildlife Protection Act (Chapter 220) these men committed a crime and should be held accountable. All crocodiles are protected in Belize. Why did no one call the Belize Forest Department?

Cherie Chenot-Rose
ACES/American Crocodile Education Sanctuary
Help Take a Bite Out of Extinction!
S
S
Originally Posted by Biologist Cherie
Why did no one call the Belize Forest Department?

Lack of education on many fronts.

B
B
Oh man...that is super sad. If someone pays him, he won't eat it? Yikes.

So why have these guys not been fined? And as far as education. They know. ACES and the BFD have been to schools, have held public presentations, have been in the newspapers, and been on TV for over 6 yrs now trying to educate on the Belize Wildlife Protection Act. They blatantly say that they know, but choose not to hand it over. The BFD was there with a police officer and the guys would not hand it over without being paid, and from what I understand "the law" was outnumbered and had to retreat. Pretty sad situation and this behavior will continue and escalate until legal action is actually taken. All we can do is pray no one pays them.

Cherie Chenot-Rose
Click the Link below to Learn How to Live Safe with Crocs
http://www.americancrocodilesanctuary.org/safewithcrocs.htm

Cherie Chenot-Rose
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Conservation Organizations in uproar over crocodile capture
In Friday's newscast, we reported on residents of Faber's Road who caught an eight feet crocodile. According to the persons interviewed, residents had reported the crocodile sighting to Police but they were unable to catch the reptile. According to Sheffield Brown, one of the persons who aided in capturing the reptile, it weighed an approximate 300lbs and they caught the crock by inserting a stick into its mouth and bounding its jaws with a rope.

Sheffield Brown
We caught it last night about 2 o'clock, it was two of them and they were running around free.

Jules Vasquez, Channel 7

Okay you caught them where this morning?

Sheffield Brown
At the football field; one of my friends saw them and I came and helped him. They are around a lot.

Other resident
While we were tying the mouth, I had those guys take the stick out and tighten the rope around his mouth. So it took about until 3 o'clock and then I took him into my yard.

Sheffield told us that because times are hard, they couldn't afford to give the crocodile over to a non-governmental organization. Instead, they had planned on filleting the crocodile for sale. However, under the Wildlife Protection Act Chapter 220 of Belize, the capturing, killing and selling of an endangered species, which the crocodiles falls under, is illegal and a finable offences. We spoke with Cherie Renee Rose, Research Biologist at American Crocodile Education Sanctuary (ACES).

Cherie Renee Rose, Research Biologist, American Crocodile Education Sanctuary
Most species are protected, not only in this country, but internationally, and to fillet that animal is an international offense that is finable. The IUCN, The International Union for the Conservation of Nature has been contacted and they are looking into it. These are protected animals for a reason; they are endangered and they are a threat of becoming extinct in our lifetime. The American crocodile, which we try to protect the most, there is less than ten to twenty-thousand left worldwide and that makes them as rare as polar bears. As predators, they are important in our ecosystem, by keeping the ecosystems in Belize, especially the wetland areas in balance. I understand that people fear them; however, from what I saw on television, not only your station, but the other one, that guy didn't care about the animal and they blatantly appeared knowledgeable of the fact that that which they were doing is illegal.

ACES is a non-profit organization, permitted by the Belize Forest Department, to conserve Belize's wetland habitats and protected species, specifically Crocodilians. Rose told us that Fridays capture and intended sale of the croc is illegal and that this crime should not go unpunished. Rose told us what the proper procedure is when someone wants to report a crocodile sighting in their neighborhood.

Cherie Renee Rose, Research Biologist, American Crocodile Education Sanctuary
If this incident should occur where crocodiles are approaching into someone's yard on a consistent basis, they should notify the Belize Forest Department who are trained for special relocation or the capturing of the animal. If someone's life is in immediate danger, for instance, if this animal is getting ready to attack someone, you have the right to kill the animal; however, as soon as you do, you are to contact the Forest Department. 2 o'clock in the morning, in the middle of a football field, to me it sounds like they were hunting crocs. The croc was just passing through and it seemed that no one's life was in immediate danger in that point in time and so the Forest Department should have been notified.

PlusNews was unable to speak with the Wildlife Officer at the Forestry Department. We were informed though that the department commenced an investigation into the matter today whereby persons may be charged upon completion of that investigation. Under the Wildlife Protection ACT Chapter 220, such an offence relating to endangered species starts with a minimum fine of $500 or a maximum of 1000 dollars BZE, six months imprisonment or both. Persons who purchase the meat of an endangered species can also be fined a minimum of 1000 dollars or 5000 maximum with imprisonment.

PlusTV

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.